November 2018 Moms

I wish I had known that!

2»

Re: I wish I had known that!

• @middleschoolmommy so crazy! I had heard of this years ago and didn't think it could possibly be true. Note to self: no poppyseeds
  • purelexpurelex member
    edited August 2018
    Sleep deprivation is SO real and SO hard.  Co-sleeping can be done safely.  I struggled with and felt so much guilt that my DD wouldn't sleep anywhere but on me or my husband because all the books and recommendations say use a crib or bassinet (insert other gear..) in the same room like it's no big deal.  You are not a failure if baby screams whenever you sit him/her down anywhere...  I felt guilty falling asleep in bed in the middle of the night while breastfeeding.  I finally researched co-sleeping and how to do so safely.... that gave me peace of mind and everyone finally started getting sleep.  Do what works for you and your family!!

Also, the hormone crash after birth is intense, for several weeks or longer.  I had chills that left me shivering uncontrollably and balling my eyes out on the couch because I was covered with 3 blankets and still couldn't get warm.  All normal!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @purelex I remember something similar to this...being freezing and not being able to get warm but I attributed that to coming down with mastitis. Was that actually hormones?? I would hate to repeat that experience. 
  • runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited August 2018
    @ginny_203 a friend of mine recommended reading baby wise. She has a 10 month old who has always slept like a champ so I figured it's worth a try.
  • @ftm_jen and @ginny_203 my SIL sent us a copy of BabyWise. I’ve started to read it. I find it a bit contradicting/confusing at times but I’m a FTM so it may make sense once I am “living” it. She said it helped her. I lurked the boards to see if there were other reviews on TB on it and most were not favorable on the methods recommended as well as on the author/supporters of the book/methods. Right now, I’m all for knowing as much as we can and whatever works as long as it’s not detrimental to my baby’s health and me and my DH’s sanity is what will work for our family. I think we are going to try the methods in the book (but I’ll see what DH thinks after he reads it), and I’m sure Murphy’s Law will prevail. 
  • I wasn’t a fan of Babywise. I believe it’s the book that has a Wake, Eat, Play, Sleep Schedule. In theory it sounds great. It’s been awhile since I’ve read the book, but if I recall correctly it schedules babys naps for something like 1-1.5. I found this unrealistic because babies are not robots and will nap for various lengths. If my baby ends up doing a short 30 minute cat nap (which cat naps are pretty common among newborns)  when he wakes up its too soon to eat (which throws the schedule off), and then the stretch of time before his/her next nap, becomes too long. 

For us just following age appropriate wake times/following sleep cues was much easier. We were still on a schedule, but it was slightly flexible and usually only varied by 30minutes or so. 

I think its its still worth a read, since you never know how your baby will respond, but I do remember being disappointed and frustrated when my baby would not get on the schedule. 
  • @lifesabeach85 that hurt my brain to read lol

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • @BabyBoyH92016 Bahahaha that cracked me up. So so true!

Speaking of Baby Wise, I'm pretty sure that's the book/schedule my sister followed and she warned me not to follow it to a T because for the first few years of her boys' lives, they demanded something to drink literally as soon as they woke up. They couldn't function without it after being raised on the "wake, eat" schedule. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @MouseMama817, I never had mastitis but I imagine that could cause it, too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Someone posted this today and I loved it so much i wanted to share. This is regarding the struggles of stay at home moms, and working moms. As someone who has worked and now is staying at home, I can relate to so much of this. 

https://madison.citymomsblog.com/can-honest-sometimes-get-jealous/

This was great.
  • KellyT22 said:
    I wish I had known how much love you would feel for this tiny human and how you may have unexpected moments where you are overwhelmed with love for them. And on the flip side, how you might experience love a little differently for your kids and that's okay. 

The other part, and I know it's cliché, but I wish I had known how true the statements "the days are long by the years are short" and "it goes so fast" are. For me, this translates into wishing I had taken more videos of the mundane things like how they play with toys, eat, etc. I wish I could film every car conversation my three year old and I have. 
    YES. I look at my 8 year old and it was just yesterday that he was a newborn. It goes by too fast.