6 weeks, empty sac. Possible blighted Ovum and terrified — The Bump
1st Trimester

6 weeks, empty sac. Possible blighted Ovum and terrified

Based on LMP I should be 7 weeks 2 days, but scan is measuring 6 weeks 3 days. My cycles have varied from 26 to 47 days in the last 6 months, so late ovulation would make sense. I had a private abdominal scan on July 19th that showed a sac measuring 4 weeks, then went back exactly a week later and it measured 5 weeks. Then had my first dr appointment yesterday and had a transvaginal ultrasound done. The sac measured 6 weeks 3 days but showed nothing in it. The doctor seemed convinced I had a blighted Ovum. I had her check my HCG and it is 6,065, which would be normal for a late 5 week, early 6 week pregnancy. At what level HCG can you definitely see the yolk sac? I have an extremely tilted uterus also and the tech hardly scanned me. Just looked for 20 seconds and said I was too early, only to have the doctor come in and tell me shes sure I'm miscarrying. I've cried all I can at this point. I dont believe her as I feel it's too early but I dont want to get my Hope's up.

Re: 6 weeks, empty sac. Possible blighted Ovum and terrified

• First of all, I am so sorry you are going through this.  I see that your post is from a few weeks ago, so I'm unsure what may have happened in that time period.  You're 100% in the right that it may be too early at 5 or 6 weeks to see anything.  Before my son, I had a similar situation to yours - we can talk about that if you would like, but only if you feel like it. Bottom line, I had a scan around the same time with the same results/response from a doctor regarding a blighted ovum.  My HCG was not in the normal zone (it was super low), so that is a good sign for you that yours was higher.  I don't know what HCG level you can see the sac, but you should absolutely have another opinion if you haven't already, especially since you mentioned that you have a tilted uterus. I'm not a tech or anything, but just logically that seems like it could make a scan hard to read.

Please reach out if you need anything.  It's the most difficult situation, just sending you strength.
    deandeluca