March 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Bad Habits

What are your bad habits? What do you do that drives you crazy and would like to change?

Re: GTKY: Bad Habits

• Options
    Do I have to choose just one?  ;)

I am a terrible procrastinator. I am a perfectionist and very hard on myself, and sometimes I feel a bit paralyzed to start something out of fear that it won’t be good enough.
  • Options
    I am REALLY bad about interrupting and finishing other people’s thoughts/sentences. It is so rude and embarrassing at times. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit @swanbrooner +1 to also being a procrastinator, perfectionist, and interrupter. I also always like to be right.  :#
  • Options
    I wonder if it’s a teacher thing? Ha! @purpleteacher82
  • Options
    I still bite my nails. I was so good about not doing it for the month leading up to my sister's wedding, but now I'm back at it. I really want to stop, but it's a nervous habit. 
  • Options
    @swanbrooner Must be!!! Teaching definitely attracts a certain type of person. 
  • Options
    +1 for procrastination and being a perfectionist. I've been looking at this report for work for three days and i'm literally just tinkering with words here and there. I need to get over it and just send it!
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    Perfectionist here! Also need to do things in a very specific order otherwise im all bent out of shape! “Go with the flow” is not a phrase that I can live by   :s
  • Options
    @brookepdavis I don't bite my nails, but I do pick my cuticles. The only way I've been able to get myself to stop is to have my nails painted. For some reason, I don't pick my cuticles when I have manicured nails.
  • Options
    @southerngirlinwi The only way I stopped for my sister's wedding was putting a clear coat of nail polish on every morning. I'm the same way. If there's something on my nails, I'm fine. I just wish I had the patience to keep up with that on a regular basis.
  • Options
    @brookepdavis Agreed! I love having my nails done, so sometimes I do it as a treat to myself. I justify it as self-care, but I don't do it very often.
  • Options
    I am on the nail biter boat too. also a bit Type A in that i want everything a certain way and can get a bit controlling. I try to watch it, but it turns me a bit bossy at times...which is fine for my kid, not so fine for SO. 
  • Options
    Another cuticle picker. I keep a set of nail clippers at my desk so I can cut any hangnails as soon as I find them, otherwise I’ll rip my fingers apart trying to pull or bite them off.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I'm insanely Type A and have a really hard time going with the flow (though kids have helped that some).  I also pick my cuticles (especially in long boring meetings).

I can be a bit of a procrastinator, too, and work best when I'm up against a deadline.  A friend of mine told me "pressure makes diamonds" and ever since I've reminded myself of that when I've procrastinated myself into a stress hole!
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit I am an AWFUL procrastinator! If I don't do it when I'm thinking about it, I put that task off forever.
    Also, not following through with my daily plan - I often talk myself out of going to the gym, or going to ride my bike. Last week I was so sore from Monday and Tuesday that I slacked off the other three days...and spent almost all of Saturday in bed. If I lose motivation, I REALLY lose it!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Options
    shrubshrub member
    I chew my tongue when I'm stressed. Its a terrible habit and if I'm super stressed I end up with a sore, raw tongue. 
    I also interrupt. I don't mean to and I apologize for it often.

• Options
    I am a procrastinator too, but I don't consider it bad.  I have always done my best work under pressure. 
  • Options
    sejicasejica member
    I hate that I pick at my acne breakouts, which are out of control with these hormones, but I can't seem to stop :(
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @sejica I’m guilty of that too. My acne was insane with my last pregnancy and already I’ve gotten pimples in my ears this time.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @sejica I was totally doing that as I read your post. Last pregnancy my acne cleared up for the first time in my adult life. This time, I am not so lucky. 

Add me to to the list of always needing to be correct and a perfectionist. I also struggle with anxiety over being a protectionist so if it it something I don’t think I will do well at I intentionally avoid it or ignore it. For example when I was little I would try to get every single wrinkle out of my sheets when I made my bed, which was impossible so I would just stopped making my bed so I didn’t have to deal with the emotional stress haha.

I’m like that with spelling and grammar too. I’m slightly dyslexic and have struggled with spelling my WHOLE life. I also always get homophones mixed up even though I DO know the differences between them all. I have to work so damn hard everyday to be correct in the classroom. I also get so sick of proofreading becuase I read emails at work about 10 times before I send them. So then, when I’m off hours (here), I can’t torture my brain with it a second longer.  Then later I go back a read crap I’ve typed and posted and want to bang my head on something. 

I guess I’d call that habit intentionally half assing it. Regardless, it’s a habit I don’t like. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Do I have to choose just one?  ;)

I am a terrible procrastinator. I am a perfectionist and very hard on myself, and sometimes I feel a bit paralyzed to start something out of fear that it won’t be good enough.
    I could have written this...I'm the same way.

ETA: I also emotionally shop and overspend on credit cards.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Another nail biter here. It's not really a nervous habit but something I do when the nails get too long. So I don't know why I don't just carry a file and clippers with me everywhere but I don't. Big procrastinator here too.