February 2019 Moms
Options

Meal Ideas (w/o 7/30)

edited July 2018 in February 2019 Moms
I hope you don't mind me starting this, @mainemama_!

Friends, if you've got a good recipe or meal idea, post it here!

Try to include whether this dish/meal is quick and easy, kid friendly, pantry-heavy (uses primarily ingredients you'd already have in your pantry), more time-intensive, etc!

Re: Meal Ideas (w/o 7/30)

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Just noticed that I didn't capitalize the title of this thread OR include the week.

*edit: I can edit the thread title! Fixed!

Anyway, I've gotten a ton of tomatoes in my CSA the last two weeks, so I'm planning to make this dish tonight: https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/07/scalloped-tomatoes-with-croutons/

It looks like a quick dish, using many things that I already have in my pantry or fridge (including that baguette that I forgot to use yesterday and is probably a bit stale today). Plus, the recipe's from Smitten Kitchen, who never leads me astray.

I'm planning to saute some string beans with olive oil and sea salt to serve alongside.

• Options
    I really crave soup lately, so this week I'm making these two soups. I haven't made either before, so I can't vouch for them specifically, but have made recipes before from both sites and they've worked out well.

https://www.savorytooth.com/instant-pot-salsa-chicken-soup/

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/instant-pot-slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff-soup/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bleucheeznwine These look great! I've been eyeing Instant Pots for a while now on Amazon. I'm assuming you get a lot of use out of yours?
  • Options
    @Hannahbananas11 yep, I'm pretty much too lazy to cook normally now.
  • Options
    Oh my word, I totally forgot about this! Probably because the first tri everytime I thought of food I would get sick! It is starting to get better now but I'm ready for fall/school to start so I can more on routine with everything including meals. 
  • Options
    I think we're going to do some soy marinated flank steak tonight with a salad (https://www.skinnytaste.com/soy-marinated-flank-steak/) and maybe some crispy oven roasted potatoes. I've been trying to do more veggies and less carbs now that my MS has subsided, but we'll see how that goes. Last night I got a salad and felt like I was eating grass literally the entire time.

Tomorrow we'll likely do some kind of a stir fry - I like getting a lot of veggies and stir frying them with some soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame oil and then topping with frozen potstickers from TJs for a little protein. DS will eat the veggies and would probably like the potstickers too now that I think about it ...

I'm REALLY struggling with creative toddler meals right now. I think he's had mac and cheese and broccoli or alfredo with an avocado for dinner for 2 weeks straight. Peanut butter sandwich and applesauce for lunch every day. Yogurt and a waffle for breakfast. UGH. I usually eat my dinner after he goes down for bedtime (DH usually works dinners), so I rarely have him eat whatever I eat. Although maybe I should just start eating dinner when he does and then he can just have whatever I eat.
  • Options
    It’s still hot as hades in Oregon so grilling some chicken for teriyaki. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @BourbonBiscuits Will he eat chicken? I love this recipe, and it's pretty quick and kid-friendly (my 3 y.o. niece loves it).
    https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/253077/almond-crusted-chicken-fingers/
    Edit: I should note that I don't put the tenders on top of the baking rack in the oven (I don't have an oven-safe baking rack). I just put them straight on the foil, and it works fine. Not as crispy on the bottom as you'd get with a rack, but not soggy, either.
  • Options
    @bleucheeznwine - Also craving soup which isn't the easiest in hot as balls weather.

@BourbonBiscuits - My kids eat what we eat or they get a PB&J. We only plan separate meals when we make something spicy.

Most of our meals these days are Trader Joe's frozen meals. It could be better, it could be worse. I have no energy to cook and DH isn't very good at it (and it takes him FOREVER). 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    I have a super picky kid and we do eat a lot of spicy food. Lot of pb and j and mac and cheese. If she didn’t love green beans I’d be more worried. Hopefully “this one” will be a less picky eater.  
  • Options
    Yeah my kids not super picky, I usually just put him in his high chair with food while I cook so he’s not trying to “help.” I think once Santa brings him his play kitchen he’ll be a little less “helpful” while I cook ...
  • Options
    Totally why my kid got her first kitchen @BourbonBiscuits
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So I just failed. Decided that Bagel Bites sounded like a legit dinner since DH won't be home until late, so put some in the microwave and got Netflix all queued up. Don't know how, but they caught fire. So now I'm sitting on my deck as five fans try to blow the smoke out of my kitchen and living room. Bagel Bites are still smoldering in the microwave. :/
    Ordering pizza as I type this.

• Options
    So I just failed. Decided that Bagel Bites sounded like a legit dinner since DH won't be home until late, so put some in the microwave and got Netflix all queued up. Don't know how, but they caught fire. So now I'm sitting on my deck as five fans try to blow the smoke out of my kitchen and living room. Bagel Bites are still smoldering in the microwave. :/
    Ordering pizza as I type this.

This legitimately made me tear up.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    I'm very glad that I didn't try to cook all of them. It would be so much worse if an entire box was wasted! That and the entire microwave would've probably melted from the inferno...
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 ahh! I can’t believe they caught fire. I’m glad you’re getting some pizza!

@madreofdragons my kid is super picky too. The only ‘veggies’ she eats are corn and fries. I make her a smoothie to try to get some healthy foods in her that she won’t touch normally. I’m just grateful she loves fruit at least. I, too, am hoping I don’t have another picky eater. 
  • Options
    Omg this is perfect timing.  Trying to cook more and eat less carbs/take out since feeling better! 

Tonight I am making a dish I basically whipped up myself.  Grilled chicken cutlets with a brush of pesto on top and then I melted mozzarella on top.  I’ll sauté zucchini noodles and tomatoes on the side with more pesto, onions, garlic and a little pepper flake.

here’s one of my fav quick recipes 

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-rollatini-with-prosciutto-and/

My son lives on eggs, cheese, yogurt, pb and j and chicken nuggets.  I buy organic so it’s super healthy right? Lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers