November 2018 Moms

Summer Reading List

Just finished Eleanor Oliphant - thanks for the recommendation to everyone who suggested it! I really enjoyed it. I also read Little Fires Everywhere earlier this summer and it was very engrossing too. Now I need more recommendations! 

Whats on your summer reading list?

Re: Summer Reading List

• I just finished Lilac Girls, I absolutely loved it! On the hunt for some new suggestions too. 
  • My book club is reading Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo and it was very very good. A little intense, but good. I also just read Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon and it was fantastic. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now I'm reading "Girl in Snow" by Danya Kukafka! It's a fiction thriller. Good so far, but I haven't read that much, because it's hard to focus when DS is using me for a jungle gym all day. :#
  • @firsttimespartanmom I enjoyed Lilac Girls too, although it was much more intense than I expected because I totally judged it by its pretty purple cover.
    @lifesabeach85 I just finished Little Fires Everywhere last week! I really liked it too, although the beginning felt a little slow to me. It took me a while to get into the book because I couldn't figure out where the story was going.

I just finished The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble yesterday and I loved it! It was a short, quick read and it was the first book in a long time that kept me up reading late into the night, because usually I end up falling asleep while I'm reading. 
    Some other books I've read in the last month that I enjoyed:
    The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
    The Leavers by Lisa Ko

Books I'm planning to read this summer:
    We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (just started this one yesterday and so far I like it)
    Wizard in a Witchy World by Jamie McFarlane
    Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
    Ten Women by Marcela Serrano
    Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

I could go on and on about books all day, so I'll stop there before I bore you!
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Just finished "It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita" by Heather Armstrong. My mother in law gave it to me to read and it definitely had me laughing. Also finished "expecting better" and found that to be super interesting. Next up I want to find a breastfeeding book. Any suggestions?
  • The womanly art of breastfeeding is very encouraging!
  • @offtoneverland i really liked orphan train!
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was a fun read if anyone's looking for a beach book. Also really liked The Alice Network and The Heart's Invisible Furies. Next up is An American Marriage.

I'd also really like to pick up some books on parenting/what to expect in your first year. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!
  • @ginny_203 Eat Sleep Poop by Scott Cohen is a great book on the first year, and very readable

• Y'all are reading some very literary books and I'm over here like, I dont think my fantasy fiction is going to stack up so I will just back away slowly, lol. 
  • @wildrainbow No worries, I'm finishing up Molly Fyde and the Fight for Peace, which is the fourth book in a YA Sci-fi saga. Sticking to bubblegum fiction for now ;-)
  • @kmarfleet LOVED Womanly Art. I referenced it many times throughout my nursing journey. :)
  • I LOVED Little Fires Everywhere, The Alice Network, and Before We Were Yours. However, lately I have switched over to Fantasy. I read The Red Queen, which I think is young adult, and it was just okay. I'll read the rest of the series if I find myself in a reading list drought.

For any gamers, The Land series by Aleron Kong is AMAZING. It helped fill the void of not being able/have time to play an RPG. The newest book in the series was released recently and I'm in the middle of listening to it on audible. Awaken Online is another good RPG series for gamers, from the "evil" alignment point of view.

I'm still (impatiently) awaiting the next book in the Outlander series. I've read the series 2 times and I'm thinking I might do it again once there is an actual release date for the next book. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • @wildrainbow I love fantasy fiction! I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses a few months ago. It was fantastic. Have you read it? What are some books you're reading?
    I pretty much only read fiction that is easy to read. Anything else bores me pretty quickly  :p 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland I'm the same way, it needs to be easy and take away for a while. That being said Shayne Silvers is one of my favorite authors. Read his Nate Temple series, his Feather and Fire series, and he has a new series with Cameron O'Connell that is awesome. I'm impatiently waiting for new books from each series. They are all easy reads and the cast of characters are amazingly done and they all interact in the different series, which is nice. 

I will have to look into A Court of Thorns and Roses. I dont think I've read them. 
  • @wildrainbow I don’t venture into sci-fi fic much so I’m not 100% sure this is up your alley, but have you read Kindred by Octavia Butler? It’s sort of historical sci-fi fiction and it’s SO good. 
  • +1 on on Kindred, it's definitely a different type of historical/sci-fi story that evolves!