Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Mirena 6 weeks postpartum

Hey mamas! 
I wanted to share my experience getting Mirena inserted today! I did some googling before my appointment and the majority of reviews/stories were about negative experiences. I’d also heard horror stories from friends who were nauseous, dizzy, and unable to drive themselves home afterwards... so I was pretty nervous going to this appointment. 
My experience (so far) was not scary at all and only mildly uncomfortable.

1. I took a leftover 600mg ibuprofen from my post-labor stitches one hour before my appointment.

2. My midwife let me hold my baby during the insertion, which was a nice distraction. 

3. She opened my cervix first. She said that at 6 weeks postpartum, many women have a cervix more accessible than mine... so chances are your insertion will hurt even less! :) 

4. I felt crampy and uncomfortable for about 30 seconds while she inserted Mirena. I’d rank the pain at a 3 and the pressure at a 5 on a 10-point scale. 

5. She let the cervix opening tool sit for about 15 more seconds and then it was over and I didn’t feel any more discomfort. 

I was a tiny bit lightheaded when I got to my car, but still felt totally fine to drive my young baby. And to be honest, it was 90 degrees today and I hate the heat, so that probably had something to do with it. I drank water and felt fine. I’ve had some light bleeding ever since insertion but no other side effects so far. 

I hope this helps and I will update the post if anything changes. 

Re: Mirena 6 weeks postpartum

• Options
    babymama_ said:9
    Hey mamas! 
    I wanted to share my experience getting Mirena inserted today! I did some googling before my appointment and the majority of reviews/stories were about negative experiences. I’d also heard horror stories from friends who were nauseous, dizzy, and unable to drive themselves home afterwards... so I was pretty nervous going to this appointment. 
    My experience (so far) was not scary at all and only mildly uncomfortable.

1. I took a leftover 600mg ibuprofen from my post-labor stitches one hour before my appointment.

2. My midwife let me hold my baby during the insertion, which was a nice distraction. 

3. She opened my cervix first. She said that at 6 weeks postpartum, many women have a cervix more accessible than mine... so chances are your insertion will hurt even less! :) 

4. I felt crampy and uncomfortable for about 30 seconds while she inserted Mirena. I’d rank the pain at a 3 and the pressure at a 5 on a 10-point scale. 

5. She let the cervix opening tool sit for about 15 more seconds and then it was over and I didn’t feel any more discomfort. 

I was a tiny bit lightheaded when I got to my car, but still felt totally fine to drive my young baby. And to be honest, it was 90 degrees today and I hate the heat, so that probably had something to do with it. I drank water and felt fine. I’ve had some light bleeding ever since insertion but no other side effects so far. 

I hope this helps and I will update the post if anything changes. 
    Just like anything else - everyone has their own experiences good/bad.  Yours turned out good. 
  • Options
    Yep. That’s why I wanted to share a different perspective.