November 2018 Moms

21 weeks pregnant: feeling image conscious and struggling with changing body

chasinghiromichasinghiromi member
edited July 2018 in November 2018 Moms

Hi November moms-to-be,

I'm 21 weeks pregnant (due Nov 29!) and my bump is just starting to show. As joyous as this time has been for me and DH, I feel I'm really struggling with accepting my changing body and struggling with self-image.

I'm in between the awkward phase of "I'm not obviously pregnant" and simply look like I had a big lunch, and that I'm carrying extra pounds around my mid-section. My coworkers all know that I'm pregnant, and they've been commenting on how they can see my bump, and even catch them looking in the corner of their eye. This really bothers me, and I find myself trying to hide my growing belly with baggier clothes (all my regular clothes are starting to not fit me well, which has put me in a bit of a slump.)

Please don't get me wrong - we're very excited about our baby and I'm really excited to finally feel him/her (still TBD on gender) kick for the first time! I've never been a very image-conscious person other than trying to stay fit/healthy, but I feel this is really hitting me emotionally.

Do any other future moms feel this way? Is this normal?

Re: 21 weeks pregnant: feeling image conscious and struggling with changing body

• I know this can be a struggle and I am not small to start with so I do have extra pounds already. I found that wearing my maternity clothes which highlight the bump make me feel way better. When I wear my regular clothes that fit awkwardly I do not feel as good. My regular clothes fit I just don't think they look as good. And I think they way they fit helps people realize its a baby bump and not tacos from lunch ;0 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have found that wearing maternity clothes helps me embrace the bump. Im somewhat fluffy without being pregnant so the growing middle section has caught me awfully self conscious. Just try to keep your focus more on that incredible miracle youre creating and what an awesome system your body is to be able to grow and sustain another life. It really is awe inspiring! 
  • I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. :( I don't have a ton of advice, but I notice people, even strangers, looking at my belly all the time. Most people just LOVE anything and everything about pregnancy, so they only look at your belly because pregnancy excites them and they're just curious. Try and remind yourself that people are just happy for you and that's the only reason they're looking at your belly. No one (at least good, kind people) will judge you for how your belly looks during pregnancy. 
    Agree with everyone else that you should pick up some nice-fitting maternity clothes. If you aren't able to splurge on them, go to a consignment store and get some new clothes for cheap. It's amazing what a nice fitting shirt will do to your bump! Personally, I love the maternity pants that go over the bump because I feel like it helps shape it a bit better so it looks nicer on me.
    Like others said too, try to think of the wonderful miracle you're growing right now. You've grown all those bones, muscles, and organs, all by yourself! Isn't it just incredible?  <3
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • DnSilDnSil member
    I feel the same way! I feel annoyed that people no longer look at my face. I’ve been wearing looser fitting maternity clothes, cardigans or looser pre-pregnancy clothing. I also get sick of people asking how I’m feeling all of a sudden. I know they care and are curious, but some days I just want to be me, not just a baby vessel :(
  • Before this pregnancy I had just lost my previous baby weight, so seeing the scale creep up is tough for me. But truly I feel really feminine being pregnant. Maternity clothes definitely helps.

another thing I can say, it’s that this is all temporary. Honestly once that baby comes no one cares about mom or gives you a second look, it’s all eyes on baby lol. Our bodies are going through incredible lengths and that means stretching and growing. 
  • Thank you so much everyone. I have some hand-me-down maternity clothes but I haven't worn any of them yet, as I didn't think that I was quite "ready". Perhaps I am, especially as I'm feeling like this!

I have to constantly remind myself that my body is doing extraordinary things. I'm also not a natural "motherly" type, and I feel I'm lacking some maternal instincts which may be causing me to think this way, but that might be a whole different topic... I'm really hoping that I'll "click" with my baby when s/he is born!