September 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 7/14: Children's Clothes

Super slacking with the product spotlights! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

• Favorite [place to buy children's clothes]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [store] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [children's clothes]?:

For FTMs

• [Children's clothes stores] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight 7/14: Children's Clothes

• Options
    @smsaulino I had completely let consignment shops slip my mind. Thanks for the reminder, especially since they go through clothes so fast in the early days. And I had not heard of the cloud island sleepers...commence googling now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor we were given several of those. I like the fact that they have no snaps, make changing easy, could have same effect as a swaddle and last through a couple of age groups. We have several N-6 months, N-9 months ones. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh yes! I second H&M for cheap and cute basics! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Patience7150 primary.com is having a $7 and under sale right now. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    First, for babies and toddlers I don’t pay attention to which department the clothes are in. My daughter has plenty of “boy clothes”...especially some overalls, longer shorts and swimsuit bottoms, and simple sneakers. 

The feel/fabric of the clothes and the functionality are critical. I once bought a long sleeve sweater one-piece/romper thing with buttons (not snaps). She never wore it. Buttons?!?! You’ve got to be kidding. I also had a few adorable rompers in a polyester fabric that looked cute but was just terrible...you don’t want to hold/snuggle that!

I basically divide up the stores into “cheap stores” and “expensive stores” and make sure I’m only buying really special things at the expensive stores. I also sign up for the emails and only buy on sale. It took until my daughter was about 1 to realize how often and how good the sales on kids clothes are! 

I’m used to looking fit “good quality” clothes fit myself, and it took me some time to realize there’s no point in paying for quality in baby clothes. Who cares if it’s falling apart in 3 months, baby has outgrown it anyway! I do care about the feel of the fabric, though, as I mentioned above.

Anyway, my usual stores:
    Carters—wait for at least 40-50% off. Great for simple everyday clothes, but you’ll see kids in the sane clothes EVERYWHERE. 

Childrens Place—wait for at least 60% off. Styles change here regularly, so check back every few months. Way too many slogans and stuff for me right now! Good for “fun outfits”.

Target—I like the Cat & Jack brand, but I like to always buy in person at Target so I can feel the stuff.

Hannah Anderson—even 40% off the stuff is still pretty pricey, but the fabric feels sooooo good. Lots of bright colors and fun but not tacky patterns. If I was rich I’d shop here a lot more.

Primary.com—also a little pricey, but great feel to the fabric. I like to mix-and-match all these super-simple basics with the crazy stuff you find at Carters or Children’s place.

Nordstrom—for an occasional special outfit I’ll shop Nordstrom online (like a dress for birthday photos). 

The in-laws often buy stuff at Walmart, and my mom from Sears. Honestly the Walmart stuff is terrible..poor feeling fabric, poorly sized, and not cute. The Sears stuff is sometimes oddly trendy and fun for super cheap! 
  • Options
    @knitknitread that’s funny about the two-piece pajamas. My daughter is really tall and skinny and they fit her great! Wat better than regular clothes LOL
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @knitknitread I did not know that about boy clothes being longer once your hit 2T. I might have to start shopping for DS in the girls department. He is so short for his age that all his shorts look like pants that are just a tiny bit too short. 
  • Options
    @nackie I should have been a bit more clear. It is more like, my daughter wears a 5T in girls department but if I go to the boys department then she wears a 4T.

But he might have good luck with the Bermuda shorts in the girls department. Though, girls clothes do tend towards being tighter fit? Which bugs the crap out of me.
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @knitknitread ahh, that doesn’t sound like it would solve our problem. His 2T pants fit perfectly at the waist. Poor kid. 
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail Seriously! DD will not wear them when they get to sausage arm stage. And if you buy them in her "size" then it's instant.

@MandyMost It is so amazing how different people can have different experiences with that! My daughter has always been more long and lean but the pajamas never fit right!
  • Options
    Tight fitting, non flame retardant (resistant?) Pjs ata like a freaking sausage casing after bath time, no matter one piece or two.
    Especially if you use lotion first!!! So hard to stuff!!! 
  • Options
    • [Children's clothes stores] you're interested in: We have been incredibly lucky to have friends gift us with hand me downs.  She already has a ton of 6-9 and 9-12 month items.  We have also two really nice consignment stores that are local and do a fantastic job of vetting what comes in and out of their stores and I have yet to pay more than 3 or 4 dollars for anything.  We have bought her a few new things and my mom is all about buying her "her going home outfit" which is great for me!
    • Link/picture:
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:  An impossible one.   I know it is completely dependent on each child, but should I cautiously hold back on how many newborn/0-3 month things she has?  My mom seems to think that she will go right into 3 or 3-6 month things but I don't know how much I believe her.  I am not a tall person nor is my husband. I know width will also matter, and who knows on that?  The last ultrasound we had was at 20 weeks and she was average, 50-55% on everything.  Anyone have any estimates on how much I should buy for 0-3 month things?  Also, September is weird where I live (in the Midwest) it could be tank top weather or sweatshirt weather, so I feel like I might need a few of both?  Am I completely wrong?
    Thanks for the info on other stores/websites I didn't know about such as primary.com 
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail Seriously! DD will not wear them when they get to sausage arm stage. And if you buy them in her "size" then it's instant.

@MandyMost It is so amazing how different people can have different experiences with that! My daughter has always been more long and lean but the pajamas never fit right!
    My kid is fairly extreme...she’s 2 now and since she was born she’s been consistent on the growth charts at 40th-50th percentile for weight and 90th-99th percentile for height. Everyone guesses she’s 3.5 or so even though she’s only 2! So we clearly have no problem with how tight-fitting girls clothes are, but a major problem with how short stuff is! I never thought about how the PJs are probably too tight in most kids! 

It definitely affects which which brands fit best...some clothes are fit really wide and just look ridiculous on her. I don’t know where you buy “Geranimals” or something like that—a super-cheap mix-and-match brand—maybe Walmart—but she has a bunch from the in laws we don’t even bother with. It’s all sooo wide.

I find Primary.com runs a little small/tight (good for us!), Carter’s and Children’s Place are pretty true-to-size/average, and Hannah Anderson runs big. 
  • Options
    @nackie and @Wishilivedinflorida thank you very much for the feedback, that helps!  It helps to know that I will need a few weeks of newborn clothes and to keep my eye out for sale things.   I have said this before, I am such a logistics person, tell me how many  ;)  so hearing the number of weeks/outfits gives me some clarity.  
    @nackie I told my mom, I don't want to be stuck doing laundry everyday or having to buy full price newborn things because I am scrambling when I could have picked them up at a consignment store beforehand. I realize I am not going to be locked in my house, but gosh, to be a little prepared with everything else I am unprepared for will help.  
  • Options
    @lisac1017 also echoing going to 3-6 is probably not likely. 0-3 is possible though. DD was 8lbs 11oz and went straight to 0-3. Still, I have a stash of nb to get us through the first few weeks until i know. 

I'm in MN and we also have volatile September weather. I don't see myself dressing LO in sleeveless gear, so I'm mostly planning short sleeves and long sleeves. 
  • Options
    @lisac1017 I have a friend who's babies grow really quickly but she still needs newborn, 0-3, etc. clothes.   You don't know how fast your baby will grow too.  Until baby comes you won't know basically what size they'll need when...  Also, babies do need to be dressed a bit warmer than adults so I wouldn't focus on the short sleeve t-shirts. 
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    nackie said:
    @lisac1017 my mom convinced me that DS would go right into 0-3 month clothes. Even though he was almost 9 lbs, he was still in NB for a good three weeks. We were doing laundry every day since we only had like 4 nb outfits. 
    Thank you for sharing this! We only have 3 or 4 newborn outfits because we're guessing LO will be around 8.5lbs. I wasn't thinking about how they lose weight at first. 
  • Options
    I like a going home outfit for newborns but aside from special occasion, footed onesies are life. Also, they’re so squishy at first. Most kids will wear NB for at least a couple of weeks but 0-3 is pretty standard. 
    Yes! Pajamas all the time!
  • Options
    SdeuxSdeux member
    Favourite brands for kids: 
    Gap (sales or outlet store), Old Navy, H&M, Target, Crazy 8, Carter’s/Osh Kosh, Joe Fresh (we are Canadian),
    Abercrombie Kids when you get to size 3/4 and up.

Gently Used: Once upon a child, Facebook
    Moms groups, Mom to Mom Sales. 

Least Favourite brands: Childrens Place, Walmart

With our son we really started seeing him wear out clothes starting at 2T and up. Specifically knees in pants and stains. Look for reinforced knees, stores that will guarantee their product etc. 

We we have mixed seasonal clothes for newborn sizes being a September 1st due date, if we are inside then it will be mostly sleepers. Zipper sleepers are the best! Probably had son in newborn for approx a month or so. Born at 7lbs 15 oz. 

Found he jumped sizes that were double his age. So by 3 months he was wearing clothes labelled 6-9
    months, 6 months old wearing 9-12 months etc. Found that very accurate until we hit toddler sizing.

• Options
    Can the going home "outfit" just be a footed sleeper, too?

We are still Team Green for our families, and as much as I have been oogling the cute gendered outfits online, and trying to justify spending the money, I'm also afraid that too much of an effort there might be a give-away that we accidentally did find out ahead, and I'd rather keep the mystery.  Plus maybe have a little headband ready, "just in case"?  But I know a sleeper is not exactly an, "outfit." :/