November 2018 Moms
Options

Daily GTKY 7/11 - Dialect Quiz

How accurate is this quiz for you? I've seen this done on some other boards I've participated in and people say it's scarily accurate!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html
*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Daily GTKY 7/11 - Dialect Quiz

• Options
    Dead on, I'm from the Detroit area.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Pretty accurate considering I live in the greater NYC area and grew up in northeastern PA! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Darned thing glitched 1/2 way through and restarted me.  Now I'm too lazy to re-do it :D  I know I've done it in the past back when I was posting in TTGP and it was pretty accurate for me.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    Accurate! Chicagoland area. 
  • Options
    Same as @lostarz14 and it's dead on.

• Options
    Pretty dang accurate. Suburb of dfw and the city where I had my first job! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sorta accurate. i mostly grew up in a huge military area esp. navy (hampton roads, va) with many of my friends from military families and overall it’s pretty spread out from the coasts. my dad, as well as my childhood bff’s family are originally from new york— so not surprising to me that that’s where my dialect is mostly similar. plus my extended family on my dad’s side is for the most part in/around boston. my mom is from the philippines, so she learned “proper” english in school growing up and slang from my dad i’m sure.

• Options
    Dead nuts.. Boston! Some answers make that pretty obvious though lol. 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    Yep! Detroit area, here too! 
  • Options
    Ummm...mine isn't the most accurate as I got Mississippi and I have always lived in Alabama and nowhere near the Mississippi line. I will say, tho, that almost all of the deep South talks the same with the exception of Louisiana, so, I guess it's ish accurate.
  • Options
    Accurate! I got Detroit area and I’ve lived a couple hours north of there my entire life. 
  • Options
    Dead accurate! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lots of Detroit area on the board, it seems! Me too! And this is super accurate! 
  • Options
    Yep, I always get somewhere between New York and Philly, although calling the night before Halloween Mischief Night always gives it away.
  • Options
    CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited July 2018
    Pretty much dead on... I live in a small city in North Mobile County :)

I found it strange- some of the words I thought were universal are definitely regional. It narrowed down my location to Mobile because I call the road that runs alongside the interstate a "service road." I seriously thought that's what everyone called it lol.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is fairly accurate. I got IN, OH, and MS. I threw it off a little, because after living in Savannah for seven years, I've picked up the usage of "y'all." I'm originally from OH, though!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, that's incredible. I've never seen this before and it was spot on for me. DFW area. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @CopperBoom86 I call it a service road too and I am from the Northeast, if that makes you feel any better.
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    Mine is pretty accurate - it said Milwaukee/Madison and I'm from Northeastern Wisconsin. And, you guys, it's called a bubbler!!! Water fountains are in parks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    bkosybkosy member
    Mine says North or South Carolina. I grew up in New Jersey and now live in Maryland so nope! Not right for me lol
  • Options
    When was kind of close. I grew up in the middle if Delaware now northern Delaware. It said Northern Jersey. I can definitely see how Jersey has influenced but also I would say I have lots of twang too.
  • Options
    @kellyt22 this might be a stupid question but shouldn't a bubbler... idk... blow bubbles?? :D  I've never heard of a water fountain being called that before! 
  • Options
    Not in the right state for either the one I spent the first half of my life in or the one where I've spent the second half of my life.  I'm from the midwest and it guessed me as being from the middle of the country or rough southwest.

I swear I remember it being accurate to my birth state (Ohio) when I took it a long time ago.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• Options
    Mine was sorta accurate - it said Charlotte, Augusta and Huntsville. I am from NC (about 90 min from Charlotte). Not sure about the other two, but I did go to college in Nashville which is not too far from Huntsville?

• Options
    I guess mine was partially accurate. I got Santa Rosa, Modesto, and Fresno, California. I was born in southern California, then moved to Montana until I graduated high school. After that, I went to school in Monterey, CA for 2 years and I changed a lot of my lingo around that time (i.e., I used to say pop, but switched to soda, etc). So, I guess it's sort of accurate for that reason. I've lived in Maryland for over 10 years now though, but I guess I haven't picked up much east coast lingo yet! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    Mine was dead on--New York. I've bounced around a bit have kept pretty true to my roots. 
  • Options
    Ah the linguist/speechy in me finds this fascinating! I'm Canadian (from Ontario) but did the quiz anyway just to see.. Buffalo was one of my 3 cities. Very neat! 
  • Options
    Not accurate at all if I’m going by the 3 main areas listed (haven’t ever been there), but going by the colors it’s more accurate. I was born in Orlando but grew up in Arkansas until I moved back to Orlando 15 years ago. So I have Southern phrases but there’s a general absence of an accent in my speech. Proper English maybe? I don’t know what to call it lol.

• Options
    @MouseMama817 It wasn't accurate for DH either. He moved around a lot, but has spent the most time in Montana and Texas. 2 of his result cities were in Nebraska =S
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MouseMama817MouseMama817 member
    edited July 2018
    I’m going to have my DH take it too. He’s grown up in FL his entire life but he’s Spanish so there’s nothing Southern about his speech. He doesn’t have a Spanish accent though, just certain speech patterns that you can tell originate from English being a second language, though it’s the language he’s most comfortable with. He’s an oddball. The quiz probably isn’t calibrated to handle him lol. 
  • Options
    Accurate! Born and raised a bit outside Baltimore, MD. That’s super interesting! 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker