January 2019 Moms

AMA Discussion thread

molosmilesmolosmiles member
edited July 2018 in January 2019 Moms
All my 'old' mamas, let's talk!

Got questions, thoughts, suggestions...leave them here.

Re: AMA Discussion thread

• At my appointment today the Dr (not my regular Dr) said it is suggesteds mom's over 35 take baby aspirin up until 2 weeks prior to out due date. I'll ask my OB, but has anyone else been told this too?
  • For the stm+ was giving birth anything like what you thought it would be like. 

Expectation vs reality
  • Loading the player...
  • What does “AMA” stand for? I read it as “against medical advice,” but I’m fairly sure that’s not what it means on this thread.
  • dragonette505dragonette505 member
    edited July 2018
    At my appointment today the Dr (not my regular Dr) said it is suggesteds mom's over 35 take baby aspirin up until 2 weeks prior to out due date. I'll ask my OB, but has anyone else been told this too?

I haven't heard anything like this yet and I'm about to turn 45... that's as AMA as it gets. My guess is right now they just keep taking blood work, urine samples and blood pressure and wait to treat me if something changes. right now its all looking good (except my urine since I'm having trouble staying hydrated with my hyperemesis). But if your doc says do it, then i'd go with what they say. My doc seems to be taking things pretty calmly so far. I was expecting all sorts of alarm bells and etc. Of course I'm still waiting to find out about the health of the baby, so that may yet be coming, but so far.. no alarm bells due to MY health.
  • What does “AMA” stand for? I read it as “against medical advice,” but I’m fairly sure that’s not what it means on this thread.
    Ask Me Anything 
  • For the stm+ was giving birth anything like what you thought it would be like. 

Expectation vs reality
    I’m wondering the same thing. Actually giving birth has me a bit nervous already. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Ask Me Anything 

Ah... I guess theres that! I thought (hoped!) it was advanced maternal age... oh well..... 
  • cait32 said:
    AMA is advanced maternal age..
    It's that too... so did I get this thread wrong?

Is this an ask me anything or an advanced maternal age thread? 

Asking for a friend
  •  dragonette505 said:
    What does “AMA” stand for? I read it as “against medical advice,” but I’m fairly sure that’s not what it means on this thread.
    Ask Me Anything 

Ah... I guess theres that! I thought (hoped!) it was advanced maternal age... oh well..... 
    I think it was me that got it wrong.... my B! 
  • @molosmiles, I was on baby aspirin as part of my IVF regimen but they had me stop it at 12 weeks. I’ve seen some references online to taking it longer, though, so I’m also curious!
    edited July 2018
    @galactickates nah... you might be right! Ive seen ask me anything threads! I'm just old, so when i see AMA, i automatically think this:

• I should have clarified, I meant it as advanced maternal age. I'll try to edit and then we definitely need a Ask me Anything thread!!
  • @dragonette505 - @molosmiles mentioned being 35+ in the first post. ;)  I've spent too much time on reddit. 
  • There was an advanced maternal age thread, but it got buried. I’ll start one. Then this can stay “ask me anything” and we can have a thread for us “mature” mothers.  :p;)
  • @libertymomrn I searched for it to revive the thread but there were only check-ins and I didn't think they were getting enough traction. I thought a discussion for us would be better so I started this thread. I think we should leave this as it is, I added 'old mamas' to the post body and I did mention being over 35 in my first post. We should start a ask me anything thread called that so it is clear.
  • hello, "old" / AMA FTM here :) (I'm 38, will be 39 at birth time) So, answering original question (@molosmiles), yes I'm on a baby aspirin per day. I have high blood pressure, and I have had issues with past pregnancies with my placenta, so I thought it might be because of that? (shrug) But yeah, baby aspirin, every day. 
    @dragonette505 I'm surprised how chill/hands-off my OB has been, considering AMA and other high risk factors. SO maybe they're doing it as some kind of calming strategy with us? LOL

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

edited July 2018
    @wkuandrea I guess as long as it aint broke theres no need to scare us? lol If its a tactic I am glad for it! 
  • My doctor said he isn't really concerned with age until over the age of 40 and the high risk doctor I saw said in the UK AMA is 38! She also said it mostly has do to with the risks of amniocentesis, which they rarely even do anymore. I'm surprised we aren't seeing the number go up.
  • I'm "ama" but my doc kind of laughed when I said that for this pregnancy i wanted to do the blood fetal dna test in first tri "because I'm old now." She doesn't consider this pregnancy to be any different from the first one from an age perspective. (32 vs 36). She still signed the paperwork tho.

• I think a lot more women are waiting later to have kids so doctors see more AMA’ers and so they don’t freak out as much where 20 years ago, we were a much smaller population. I’m fat AND old and my doc is pretty “meh” .
  • I'm guessing maybe they are also just waiting to freak out when theres a reason to? I asked (last appointment) if i needed to be at all concerned about the fact I had uterine surgery before getting preggers and my doc was like: nah, your surgeon would've told you if you did. (They are part of the same practice and good friends). I mean, i don't want to have to worry, but I couldn't help but wonder. lol
  • Hi - I'm just starting to TTC at 44! I have a zillion questions and would love to find an online community who can relate...
  • ttcat44 said:
    Hi - I'm just starting to TTC at 44! I have a zillion questions and would love to find an online community who can relate...
    Hi there!! The bump has some great threads for us golden girls, but I wouldn’t want to derail this thread here (since it is part of a birth month group of expectant moms no longer ttc). I was 44 when I got my bfp, so I can relate. I’m happy to answer any questions in pm and I also suggest going to the infertility section as there are many girls who are older like us and still ttc. You will be able to chat with girls who are exactly where you are in the process and it’s so helpful!
  • @dragonette505 thank you for responding I was hoping someone here had the right information to share  <3
  • @dragonette505 thank you for responding I was hoping someone here had the right information to share  <3
    Yeah... couldn't remember the names of the actual threads (preggie brain?) but infertility would always be the best place...I pretty much lived there for several years :)