Infertility
Options

Handling disappointment

Question....how did everyone handle your disappointments related to your infertility treatments? Last week I was in the middle of stimulating for our first IVF cycle when it was discovered on day 9 of stimulating that my follicles had stopped growing, my estrogen level actually dropped, and I ended up ovulating over the medications. We have been TTC for over 6 years, and trying to start an IVF cycle for about 3 months now. I know this is not the end of our IVF journey...but the disappointment is more intense than I was expecting. I'm looking for suggestions on how to recover from the disappointment and to better prepare for our next cycle.

Re: Handling disappointment

• Options
    katie35katie35 member
    edited July 2018
    Sorry you had to go through this @prtykty84 .  I find it's helpful to do something to take my mind off of it.  We usually end up planning a night out or even an over night trip together just to give us something to look forward to.  

I promise though, that feeling you are feeling now will get a little better.  The disappointment and frustration you are probably feeling will start to turn back into motivation and determination.  It just takes a little time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mbradfo2 Im going to start my treatments soon and what you said really helps me get my mind set for this journey my Hubby and I are going to go through. Thank you! 
  • Options
    I have not been handling my disappointments very well. However I think recently discovered the Ferticalm app. It has a few things, like calming exercises that I find useful. It’s not amazing, but it helps a bit.
  • Options
    @LauraJon2015
    My RE has a promo for the ferticalm app in his waiting room! I never actually got toooo much use out of it, but it's still on my phone :D  They also had complimentary massages when I was doing my cycle last summer. Nice way to get yourself centered and relaxed.
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    On my last FET I scheduled two massages and a facial around it. It helped me relax. I was also doing yoga.
    But what really helped me was planning for the future, always having a plan B. I remember on the day of our beta after the last FET my mantra was "If this doesn't work you are going to do an ERA". I was repeating that over and over inside my head. I think you can set yourself future plans you can look forward to, even if it's something completely non fertility treatment related. Like taking a break from treatment and planning a vacation :)