November 2018 Moms

Unmedicated Birth

I know there was some interest in starting a thread on unmedicated birth, so here it is!

I thought a few questions might get this thread going, but feel free just to post. As time goes on, we can post questions and update the group on what we are learning.

1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth

2. Have you had an unmedicated birth before? Tell us about it.

3. What steps have you taken/will be taking to prepare yourself.

4. Questions/comments 

Re: Unmedicated Birth

• 1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth
    I had a bad experience with having an epidural last time. The short of it is that it failed. They were unable to adjust the medicine. I was in extreme pain, but unable to move or get out of bed. I also had back labor so being on my back was the last thing I wanted to to. 

No

None yet. My goal next week is to start looking for doulas. I’m hoping she will prepare me.

4. Questions/comment
    Would love to hear from those who have already had an unmedicated birth and what they did to prepare for it. I have a toddler, so I’m not sure how realistic it is for me if I need to go take a class somewhere. 
  • Loading the player...
    I'm just not big on medications, I try to tough out headaches and the like before I go with any kind of pain relief.
    Yes- I did have to induce both kids, but by the time I was ready for drugs, it was too late, LOL. I did a lot of deep breathing, especially with the Ujawi (sp?) breath and I focused on my husband most of the time to help me feel grounded. I find I can't talk during the intense contractions, I get really quiet and meditative. 
    Last time labor was more-painful because it was a lot of back labor and I delivered DD2 sunny-side up. I had not taken yoga during that time, and I think I didn't practice the breathing enough. This time I'm going back to yoga to help me practice breathing and will be swimming to help the baby position correctly. I also have resources for a chiropractor who's known to help babies reposition correctly if needed.
    4. Questions/comments 
    I think recovery was really decent after both births, so I'm hoping to keep the tradition going on this one. I find that focusing on your partner and having them to help you stay focused (and awake when you get sleepy- because you can!) is really a great way to stay focused.
  • Thanks for starting this!

@BabyBoyH92016 I'm so sorry you had an epi malfunction during your last birth. Did the anesthesiologist believe you? I have heard horror stories of that happening, and too many where the doctor/medical staff did not believe the woman when she said she was still in pain.

As far as what I did to prepare for my last labor
    - Having a doula was hands down the MOST important thing. They've seen it all, and when you think about it, most doctors won't have ever sat through an entire labor start to finish but a doula does that several times a week. She suggested so many helpful things that DH would have forgotten - like let's try this position, let's try a back rub, let's drink some juice, let's try lowing like a cow (it worked during transition).
    - I did take a class, it was once a week at night for about 6 weeks I think? The doula can usually tell you about different ones available in your area that might work for your schedule or that only meet once or twice to cover the basics. I think the most important things I learned were about the different stages of labor, suggestions of things you might want to put on your birth plan or discuss with your doctor, different labor positions to try.
    - I didn't use any specific method during labor like lamaze or bradley. I used different strategies for different parts of labor - breathing, hydrotherapy, different positions. The best mantra I had that worked for me, especially in the really tough parts was "one contraction at a time," like don't think about getting through the whole labor, just think about getting through one more contraction, or the next 30 seconds, because you can do anything for 30 seconds!
    - I did prenatal yoga, and I did see a chiropractor but not specifically for birth. I went to 41w1d, and one I went past my due date I tried it all including chiro and acupuncture
    - best book: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

@hollyeva I have heard a lot of women say that being quiet and meditating worked for them. I was the opposite during transition - I did really low but loud moaning and it worked. Breathing worked until about 5cm. That's good that you have fast labors - I hope mine is even faster this time.

1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth My mom gave birth to me and one of my sisters unmedicated (the other sister was an emergency c-sec) and had very positive things to say about it. It's always been something I have thought of as normal. I also just felt very uncomfortable with the idea of being essentially paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a bed. I know birth is something we don't have much control over, but it made me feel more in control not to have an epi.

2. Have you had an unmedicated birth before? Tell us about it. Yes I gave birth to DD unmedicated in a hospital. It was a very positive experience. I'm not saying it was pain free, because it wasn't. But it was pretty fast for a first birth - 12 hours from start to finish. I woke up with a strong contraction at 2am (I had been having them on and off but not progressing and not very painful or strong for about 36h) and they began progressing. Called the doula around 5am, left for the hospital when I was at 3min apart and arrived at 7am. I was so upset to discover I was only 3cm dilated! The doctor said I could go home but I was NOT getting back in the car! They filled up a big soaking tub for me but I wasn't allowed to get in until I was at 5cm - which they confirmed at 10am. The next two hours were really really tough, contractions were strong and right on top of each other, but when they checked me again only two hours later I was fully dilated and given the OK to push when ready. She was born at 2pm, and my water didn't break until she was literally crowning so I didn't get the "ring of fire." I was able to nurse DD while they were stitching me, get up and walk almost immediately after birth and left the hospital only 24h later.

3. What steps have you taken/will be taking to prepare yourself. Unfortunately we moved since my last birth from DC to NC. My old OB, hospital and doula were all fantastic. I basically didn't even need a birth plan the last time because basically everything I would have put on there was SOP at the hospital anyway. The doctor who delivered was very happy for me to labor in the tub, in various positions, to eat/drink, have intermittent monitoring, etc. The OB I am with now is generally fine with it, but the hospital is a bit more old school. The main things I have done are hire a doula, start prenatal yoga, and start working on a birth plan. I'm on the fence about switching to a midwife/birth center...

4. Questions/comments Has anyone delivered at a birth center rather than a hospital? There is only one hospital in the area that delivers babies and they're not very progressive. A birth center just opened up but I'm on the fence about it. I would have to leave my OB practice. Side question - does anyone have experience doing an unmedicated birth in a hospital where it's not really common?

There are a lot of different reasons. Im squimish about needles so the idea of inserting an epidural is worse then the idea of a painful birth to me (although I fully expect to change my mind on this when I actually go into labor haha). I've also known a few women who had bad experiences with medicated births, so I'm trying to avoid if possible. Also part of me really just wants to see if I can do it. I'm open to medication if needed--whatever it takes for baby to arrive safely. 

No, this will be my first birth. 

We are interviewing doulas now and taking birthing classes in August. I've been reading a lot about labor and pain management too. I've also started doing more yoga to work on flexibility, breathing and focusing through discomfort. 

4. Questions/comments

As others have mentioned, you can plan birth all you want but it probably won't go as expected. I'm trying not to get caught up on an idea of the "perfect" birth experience, but knowing my preferences and options for whatever might happen.  
  • @lifesabeach85 They did believe that I was in pain, and gave me more, but all that did was COMPLETELY numb my entire legs. Being completely paralyzed was seriously the worst. After that they were scared to give me any more meds because it was getting close to the time where I had to start pushing. I’m not sure why my Epi failed. Maybe it’s because I had back labor? Maybe it was the placement (took 3 pokes to place the needle), but I have convinced myself that doing it unmedicated couldn’t be any worse. I am open to getting an epi if I really can’t deal, but if by chance it were to fail again, I’m hoping that with the doula and with breathing/pain management techniques, I’ll be better prepared this time around. My poor husband had no idea how to help me, so I’m glad you found your doula extremely helpful. 

With my first, I was open to anything but wanted to labour at home as long as possible. I had been walking around at 4cm for three weeks, but wasn't in labour, so my midwife let me stay home as long as I promised to stay close to the hospital (because at this point I wad preterm still). At my 38 week appointment, I was 5cm but still not in labour, so she said to go home, pack your bags, and I'll call you in tonight. She encouraged me to walk, have sex, do anything I could think to get labour going so I wouldn't have to be induced. That night she called and i told her, no change. So i went in, they checked me... and i was 8cm! I hadn't had any contractions, or so i thought! They broke my water, and about as hour later I was ready to push. 20 mins later she was born! I was able to walk around during my labour, and only have periodic monitoring which definitely helped. I honestly laboured on the toilet more than anywhere. It was a great experience, but I think it was largely due to me working there, and delivering with my team that I worked with hundreds of times before with. I knew I could be successful with them...

My second was very different overall...I was only 3cm at my 39 week appointment. Felt my first contraction at 11pm a few days later. Knew instantly that I was in labour. I had bloody show in my panties, so I knew I was dilating and fast. We were 30 mins away from the hospital, so we left immediately. I got there about midnight and was 8cm... again! This time i wasn't able to walk around...I had to stay on the monitor. And they took 6 times to get my IV in. They insisted on putting my feet up in stirrups at only 9cm, even though i didn't want or need them as I could support myself. The OB that delivered me, i didn't know... and she kept stretching me with her fingers even though i was telling her that it hurt and to please stop. I was literally crawling up the bed away from her hands, begging her to stop. It was completely distracting, and I couldn't calm myself at all. I basically screamed the whole time. I swear she made me push before I was complete. Baby girl came at 0110 in the morning. So only after an hour of arriving at the hospital. I think this particular team was just not used to delivering someone without medication...It was not the best experience...

This time I will insist on hands off... the stretching that happened last time WILL NOT happen again, or I'm going to kick someone's hands. I will be more prepared to not have the ability to walk or move around... though I've heard this hospital is really good about letting you. And if course, labouring at home as long as possible, but not too long in my case ;)

4. Questions/comments  

The biggest thing is being able to focus, to breathe, and be left alone in my opinion. Try to limit your distractions. I prepped with reading The Bradley Method. It works, if you can block everything else out. I honestly was very lucky in both labours.... they were very fast! I think if I had long labours my birth stories would be completely different. I'm just hoping this one is quick! 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• @josie12367, you are nicer than I am.  I'd have been yelling if she touched me again, I'd kick her in the face!  I can't believe she continued the stretching at all against your will... that makes me fume just thinking about it.

I hope your next delivery team is more considerate!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth - I considered one with my first but changed my mind a few days before he was born after I read some crazy birth story that scared me about not having any pain meds. 

Yes, with my 3rd. He came too fast so I had no time to get an epidural. It was painful but not having meds available made things progress faster and pushing shorter. I'm glad I had the experience.

Before I decided against it in my first pregnancy, I learned how to breathe through contractions, positions to labor in, and looked up reading information. I have a friend who took a course and she found it really helpful. One of the biggest things I read is that if you are open to meds, you will probably take them, so you need to go in very determined to say no to any drugs. Talk to your partner and make sure they won't let you change your decision during birth since it might get to the point that you want them. And let the staff know that you will be having an unmedicated birth and not to offer drugs. Obviously, things can happen and plans have to change even if you don't want them to but going in determined will help if the birth does go according to plan.

4. Questions/comments - I know I have heard that unmedicated births mean a faster recovery from birth for mom but that wasn't my experience. My recovery was pretty normal and in fact, I had a quicker recovery with my 2nd (and epidural), than with my unmedicated birth.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• linz36linz36 member
    There are so many reasons. First, I like challenging myself just to see if I can accomplish something and since this may be the only time I will be able to give birth (fertility issues) I want to see if I can do it. Second, I saw how badly both of my sisters and a few friends did when they had epidurals. Long story short, all of them didn't push effectively even though they dilated appropriately and all needed c-sections. Third, my husband is the youngest of 13 and his Mom had unmedicated home births with all of her children and she jokingly says that American's are weak lol (they are from South America). I kind of want to prove her wrong. 

No, I'm a FTM.

I've signed up for hypnobirthing classes at the hospital which will start in 3 weeks for a total of 5 classes and I'm going to do perineal massage at home starting around 33 weeks (I'll likely deliver early because of the twins). 

4. Questions/comments 
    Did any of you do perineal massages before. TBH it kind of freaks me out...I'm worried I might hurt myself. Also, did anyone use a birthing ball?

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • @linz36 we looked into perineal massage last time i was pregnant and it also freaked me out. I feel like calling it a “massage” is very deceiving.

*i had one with my second and it was just so much more amazing! I had never considered it but now that I have I want to try again

*with my second I had been dilated to 6cm and on bed rest for three weeks so we knew when he came it would be fast. I didn’t think it would be to th point of no meds so I just had to do it. It wasn’t terrible, but the recovery was so much easier with my second than my first whom I had an epidural with. His labor was also fast and after getting the epidural i just felt super high after I had him and I hated it!

*i haven’t taken many, I’m just going with the mind set that I can do this. If it doesn’t happen I won’t be mad though.

4. Questions/comments 
    *i don’t even know why but I have a lot of anxiety about this birth. My first was an hour, my second was 20 min and I just have this wicked fear this one is going to be terrible, I need to shake it!
    nws
  • I had an epidural last time, but I’d like to avoid it this time because I hated being stuck in bed and I was so loopy afterwards. I’m wondering though if anyone has experience with other pain meds. I think there’s something they can give you through an IV that isn’t as strong but still helps numb the pain a bit?
  • 1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth? 
    Last birth, my epidural was way too strong. My legs were numb and it was such a scary feeling not being able to control them at all. I am considering it for that reason alone.

No, I haven't. With DD, I went unmedicated for 12 hours of her 18 hour labor. They started Pitocin around the 8 hour mark and those Pitocin contractions, plus a sunny side up baby, were no joke. When I started throwing up, I got the epidural. It was incredible. The doctor did a beautiful job with it somehow allowing me to still feel the need to push, but also managing all the pain. DS was a different experience. My epidural was way too strong. My legs were completely useless and tingly almost. It scared me big time. 

I am going to a prenatal chiropractor now and am considering using the doula they recommend. We haven't taken any proactive steps though. I need to because I know it is something I can just wing. 

4. Questions/comments 
    I feel like both of my recoveries were extremely quick after having an epidural, so I guess I'm interested to see how much better it can be. I'm still not 100% on no epidural though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• 1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth: I've heard some horror stories about epidurals so we have decided to have a natural birth plan.  Once we meet with our American OB we may have to change (if I'm unknowingly high risk), but this is our plan!

2. Have you had an unmedicated birth before? Tell us about it. Nope I'm a FTM

3. What steps have you taken/will be taking to prepare yourself. We have hired our doula and are about to start with online hypnobabies classes.  Hypnobirthing is obviously new to us (FTM), but is something I'm really connecting with. We will staying with my parents when we are back in the states for the birth and we are really fortunate that they live really close to Dartmouth hospital.  Its the best of both worlds, high tech (in case there's an issue) but also very alternative.  The midwives and OBs are used to hynobirthing and have signs for the door ect. We will also start taking birthing classes once we are back in October. 

4. Questions/comments - I'm 37, is this going to make delivering naturally even more painful?? Does anyone have any online prenatal yoga classes that they are enjoying?
  • @preggersabroad I was also going to ask about online prenatal yoga classes. I spoke with a potential doula today and she highly recommended starting prenatal yoga. She actually recommends that above any other class. 
  • Ladies, I found some really good prenatal yoga routines through YouTube last time around. I haven't looked lately, but you could start there first before spending any money on anything :) 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• I did notice that Gaiam online has beefed up their offerings of prenatal yoga if you're interested in a subscription. However I'm with @josie12367 on this, try some stuff on youtube to see if it helps first. 
  • I have prenatal yoga with Desi Bartlett on Amazon prime. It’s pretty good. I see they now have way more options on prime that they didn’t have a few years ago so I may check some new ones out

• the-lothe-lo member

It took a lot of work for us to get pregnant both times. I have PCOS so nothing is certain about any future pregnancies. We had to use Clomid since I don't appear to ovulate on my own. I want to experience this birth completely in case it is the only one I can have.

**TW**
    I experienced a miscarriage last August and as soon as the pain got really intense (pretty much right away) I gave in and took Vicodin. It knocked out the pain but also knocked me out mentally. I completely regret tuning out mentally and emotionally when I delivered my baby. When the drugs finally cleared, I was in shock and horror. I don't want to ever check out again. 

I have not. FTM here.

Yoga, meditation, breathing every day! I also have a doula who will be helping. I'm going to try some of the videos suggested above too and have saved a few on relaxation and pain management for later.

4. Questions/comments 

My doula says that the more scared you are, the more tense you are and the harder it will be to deliver. Your body activates fear mode and that mode signals you should not be having a baby in such distress. The key (I gather) is to stay calm and trust your body. I'm hoping to focus on that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wanted to bump this up so we could do a check in as we get into the final stretch!

how is everyone feeling about their plans to have a low intervention/unmedicated birth? Are your partners/friends/family/health care team supportive of your plans? Any complications or road blocks that have arisen?

Any reviews of doulas/birth classes/books/methods youd like to share?

I would love to chat about birth plans. Do you think that would be worth doing a thread for the whole group on? 

• @lifesabeach85 I would love a thread on birth plans! My birth will mostly likely be intervened. Just due to my history and health concerns. As much as I would love to go all natural. But I think it would be interesting to share our hopes for best case scenario births and what we’re hoping for. 
  • @lifesabeach85 I would also like a birth plan thread!

Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Hi All!

I still intend on trying to have an unmedicated birth. I’ve hired a doula to help with pain management. I breezed through Ina May Gaskin’s guide to giving birth. I found it interesting, but I wouldn’t consider it a must read. One tidbit that stuck out is that the book states that being medically induced makes it much harder to have a natural birth. The reason being is that pitocin contractions are much more intense, and that when your body is able to go into labor naturally, there are just certain things it does that make an unmedicated birth easier. I was indcuced with my first bc I was late, and recently got a Gestational Diabetes diagnosis which makes the possibility of induction much higher. So upon learning that, I definitely feel worried about induction derailing my plan. 

I fully intended on doing prenatal yoga, but never got around to it. I don’t like yoga, so getting motivated to do it was difficult. 
  • I’m new to this thread! I wanted to go med free with my first but I was in labor 44 hours and gave in to the epidural around hour 36. I’m hoping that this time labor is shorter/easier and I can avoid getting an epidural. I was so woozy after DD was born and hated feeling so out of it. I have to admit though that I’m scared that if I couldn’t do it the first time I won’t be able to this time.
  • @iheartbooks 44 hours! Woah! I can't believe you weren't pressured into having a c-section after such a long labor.

• @lifesabeach85 Thanks for bumping this up! I meant to reply to it the first time it was created but got distracted and forgot. 

And I definitely would love a birth plan thread.

1. What made you consider having an unmedicated birth?
    Too many bad stories from people that had bad experiences. One of my friends to this day doesn't have feeling in her toes after getting the epidural. She got permenant nerve damage.

Nope FTM

I haven't taken any yet. I really need to start doing something to get ready. 

4. Questions/comments 
    My DH thinks I'm crazy for even considering having an unmedicated birth. I'm hoping in the middle of it I don't change my mind but if I do, I won't beat myself up about it (as long as the baby comes out healthy). 

• I'd like a thread on birth plans too, and am happy to share mine as well. 
    @iheartbooks 36 hours is just beyond, you were ridiculously patient!
    @BabyBoyH92016 swimming is another good option if you are having a hard time getting motivated to do yoga. I really endorse yoga for the breathing and meditative stuff it enforces to prepare you, but swimming helps with positioning. You can also just find videos on breathing techniques that help on the interwebs.

I will say that I probably handled the inductions well because I was already 4 cm dilated each time and I did labor in the tub a good deal to handle the pain. At the end of the day, induction or no, having some tools in your toolbox can help you try to go unmedicated, and one of those tools should also be the acceptance that it's okay if you need intervention. It took me a good deal of mental preparation for that acceptance piece!

• I'm still planning on going unmedicated as well, but like @BabyBoyH92016 am also dealing with a GD diagnosis which make induction and/or c section really likely which definitely has me nervous.  

DH and I took a really awesome birth class on pain management techniques, what to expect in labor, etc. and I've also done a lot of reading and listening to The Birth Hour podcast (which I highly recommend.) We also hired a doula, so overall I feel really prepared. I'm trying to do more physically to prepare because I haven't been great about that (stretching, squats).