January 2019 Moms
Options

Lovenox - Anyone Else?!?!

So, I had my 2nd appt. (this time with the OB) on Tuesday and she has put me on Lovenox!  Apparently I tested positive for a disorder that can contribute to pre-e - which I had with my 1st!  I used to be completely freaked out by needles, I got over that after having weekly blood draws with my 1st...but I’m not sure if I’ll ever not be freaked out by having to inject myself!  I just gave myself my 1st injection....it’s going to be a long 7 months!!

Re: Lovenox - Anyone Else?!?!

• Options
     I'm not familiar with that medication, but I had to deal with lots of needles with IVF. Seven months of injections sounds rough!  If you have any questions about injections generally, there are a number PAIF ladies that may be able to offer advice. 

One thing that helped DH and me during IVF injections was having him prepare all the syringes. It helped him feel like he had a bigger role in the process, and it helped me feel like I wasn't carrying all of the burden/ responsibility. With the giant intramuscular progesterone shots, DH prepared the syringe and gave the injection. That way I never had to look at the freaking *giant* needle.

• Options
    Injecting it slowly will help it not sting as much or bruise as badly. Though you will still end up with bruises all over where you inject yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And don't rub the spot after you inject the medicine. That makes it bruise easier. Not speaking from personal experience. Just many years of being a nurse and many lovenox injections given. 
  • Options
    Not Lovenox, but I have to inject myself several times a day with insulin during pregnancy. I don’t like needles, and I mostly got used to it last time, but very so often I still hesitate beforehand.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I’m on it for a blood clotting disorder. You do get used to it.  It might take a couple months, though. I’m always fine at first, and then I hit this point where I feel like I can’t and it takes forever for me to do the injection. After a couple weeks of that, I’m fine for the rest of the time.  Also, it seems like the bruising is worse the first week or two, and then it mostly goes away.  
  • Options
    I’m doing Lovenox daily. I’ve had to do these before, after I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism, so I’m an old pro. Things that help: Grab a big handful of fat, instead of trying to pinch a smaller portion. Flick the syringe so the air bubble goes to the top—it should be the last thing that you push in (this helps to minimize bruising). Push the serum very slowly. And try to be still for a couple of minutes after you pull the needle out (this helps minimize the after burn). Honestly, I think the worst part is the moment right before I stick myself with the needle, because I always expect it to hurt worse than it actually does. Try to avoid lingering too long in that before-moment, and it will probably become routine for you very quickly.
  • Options
    I had to do a weird cocktail of meds from my RE for recurrent losses with my DD and this babe.  I did lovenox from BFP until 14w with DD and then BFP to about 8wks this time & he stopped it because I had a small SCH.

Pinch the fat, insert needle (slight angle seems to help minimize the bruising), letting go of the pinch before injection also seems to help minimize bruise,  inject slowly.  I always put a bandaid on because mine were known to randomly bleed later in the day.

You get used to them.  Definitely annoying though.

Here is the last pic I have of my tummy from this pregnancy.  I think my really bad bruises are finally gone now.  I had a few doozies.  There was no real rhyme or reason to the awful ones.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Oh, and angle the needle slightly away from
    your belly button; it will sting more if you’re too close to your navel or angled towards it.