January 2019 Moms
Options

Bicornate Uterus

Not sure if this totally deserves it's own thread, but I couldn't figure out where else it would fit, so here it goes..
I'm 10 weeks and change and had a bit of a *TW* bleeding scare on Sunday. I gushed blood for about an hour before it slowly tapered off *End TW*. Because of this, I made an appointment with my OB on Monday to get checked out. Luckily the found the HB with the doppler, so baby is ok for now. However, the doc said that the ultrasound from my dating ultrasound at 9 weeks showed that I have a bicornate uterus and told me that it increases the risk of preterm delivery. I already have a DD that I delivered at term, so I don't know if I should even be concerned or not... Does anyone else have this issue (or other uterine anomalies) or have any experience with this? 

Re: Bicornate Uterus

• Options
    No experience with this, but lots of good vibes headed your way. The bleeding definitely would have freaked me out. I’m glad baby is doing ok!
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have a tilted uterus which some medical professionals say can cause miscarriage (I've had three but I don't know if that's why) I did have preterm labor with my daughter but I have no idea what caused it. However, we managed to keep her in until 38 weeks. With my son I had no issues with PTL and he made his appearance at 39 weeks. 
    I think if the doctors are aware of the condition they can take preventative measures. Like progesterone, steroids if necessary, Terbutaline if necessary, etc. The fact that you delivered a term baby is a good sign I would think. Just being aware of the signs would be the biggest piece of advice I could give. If you feel like contractions are just BH then there's no harm in getting checked out. I did and I'm convinced it saved my daughter. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My SIL has a bicornate uterus. **TW** she did have a miscarriage on her first pregnancy at about 12 weeks but then had a healthy baby girl after that. *end TW* I don’t think she had any other issues with that pregnancy, just more monitoring and she delivered about a week early. I think it’s a matter of degrees- like how big is the septum? I think depending on how much it’s truly two horns can result in different precautions. 
  • Options
    A friend of mine has a bicornate uterus (auto-correct kept trying to change it to “big ornate uterus”  :D ) They said one side was fine and the other side had some issues, so her chances of conceiving at all on the side with issues was very small. She has had 3 children fill-term and never had a miscarriage, so it never caued issues for her.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, all.. It's good to hear that you've know women who have this issue that went on to have minimal or no issues. I have no idea how big the septum is at this point. The doc said that they would need to evaluate it when I'm not pregnant. I did have at *TW* miscarriage in Feb of this year *end TW* but I have no idea if it's because of the uterine anomaly or just chance. @sparkymcgeee, I do think I will pay more attention as I get further along to any signs or contractions/labor since I know that it will put me at risk for preterm birth.. might mean no traveling to my parents for Christmas :(

• Options
    **lurking from December**

Since you didn’t get any first hand experiences I hope it’s ok if I chime in. I have a septate  uterus as well, though the septum doesn’t go all the way down so it isn’t completely divided. Do you know if your uterus is in two parts? I would ask them that to get a better idea of what you’re working with. I am kind of surprised they never mentioned it to you during your last pregnancy. I found out during the anatomy scan with my first. In my case, the septum kind of hung in the middle and baby could push it out of the way but you could see it was in her way a bit. She ended up like a U with the septum hanging near her middle. The only complication I had was that she was breech as it can sometimes make it difficult for them to flip with that in the way. For that reason I had to have a c-section. I had no issues with preterm labor or anything else. Good luck to you, I hope your pregnancy stays healthy and uncomplicated!
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @rosebud332 Thanks for your input! I honestly don't know how far the septum goes, but I'm guessing not really far or someone would have mentioned it to me before now, right? My doc said that they would need a "non-pregnant" ultrasound to really assess the situation, but that doesn't really help me now. I think I'll just hope for the best and worry about it after this lo is born. If you don't mind me asking, did your doctors recommend any sort of intervention to remove the septum after your DD was born?

• Options
    @Mandamay1414 They didn’t recommend anything for me. I went to the ob before getting pregnant this time to ask about it and they said since it wasn’t a big issue for my pregnancy and *TW—my one loss was early and not necessarily related, End TW* that it would probably be better for me not to have it removed unless more problems arose. Obviously there are always risks with surgery like developing scar tissue so for me the risks of surgery seemed to outweigh the benefits.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414

First, so sorry to hear about your previous loss .

Im pregnant for the first time, and about 11 weeks. When i went in for my US at 7 weeks, they told me i probably have a bicornuate uterus. 

My MW said its not a huge cause for concern and its not for certain that i have it yet.  Whats interesting is they told me they have to wait until im further along to tell, which is basically the opposite of what your doctor told you! My MW said my uterus was still tiny at 7 weeks and it would be easier to tell at my 18week anatomy scan if i actually have a bicornuate uterus or not.

MW said possible complications could exist.. including higher chance of C section bc if baby is breech there may not be "room" to get into the correct position, and more difficult labor because the weird shape makes the contractions less powerful. But she was very reassuring that it wasnt a huge deal. She said i wouldnt be considered high risk because of it and the only change to my prenatal care would be an extra ultrasound at 32 weeks.

However, of course i immediately went home and googled and read everything i could find, and honestly it was terrifying at first.  There are some really gloomy "statistics" out there regarding miscarriage/stillborn/preterm delivery rates etc.  Maybe im trying to make myself feel better, but i dont think a lot of the information is terribly reliable, mostly because the numbers vary so much from article to article. That being said, i do think my MW downplayed the risks (i cant do anything about it, so she probably doesnt want me to worry). She didnt even mention an increased risk of delivering early but based on what i read, i think its a possibility. Sounds like your doctors agree.

Did they say they were going to alter your care in any way? Are they considering you high risk?
  • Options
    @alannac1 My doc didn't mention anything yet.. I'll ask more about it at my next appointment. As far as I know, I'm not high risk. He did grill me on my last successful pregnancy and delivery that resulted in DD (term, vaginal vs. c section, other complications), though so I don't know.. If you don't mind, I would love to hear any updates as your pregnancy progresses.
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414

I will absolutely keep you posted! Please do the same :)
  • Options
    sgrn18sgrn18 member
    **lurking from March 18**

I have a true bicornuate uterus.  It was diagnosed many years ago, but they were never able to tell if it was a true bicornuate or just a septum until my c/s when they took it out to sew it up ( I actually got them to take a picture of it lol)

**TW** I did have a mc for my first pregnancy at about 6 weeks** END TW**.  They gave me the run down of possibles but the likely was breech baby, preterm labor, and c/s.  I had all of those and a SCH at 11 weeks.  However, preterm was 36+5 when my water broke, so late preterm and LO had been breech/ transverse the entire pregnancy so we expected a C/S regardless. It was actually difficult to get him out because he was so wedged in there, I cant imagine how it would have been for a full term baby (he was 6lb 5oz). 

I had additional monitoring after the SCH for a few weeks and more ultrasounds than I can count but LO is perfectly healthy.  
  • Options
    @sgrn18 - thanks so much for sharing!
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414

I know this post is old, but wanted to ask if you had your AS yet and if they mentioned anything else regarding your bicornuate uterus? My AS is on Friday and hoping they have good news for me. 
  • Options
    @alannac1 my AS isn't until 9/12.. I'll def let you know how it goes. Hoping you get good news on Friday!! Let me know how it goes!
  • Options
    @ mandamay1414

Ok, so had my appt Friday but it was all a bit confusing..

So i was seeing a midwife up until now, but she just had her baby early and is now on maternity leave, so i met with one of the doctors at my practice on friday.  During my US i asked my technician if she could tell if my uterus was bicornuate or not and she said there is no indication of a bicornuate uterus anymore, and my uterus was a normal oval.

I asked the dr what he thought and he said he doesnt think they should have said bicornuate based on my first ultrasound because he didnt think it looked like my uterus had a true septum. He said he would have suggested it was something else (it started with an A but now i forget)

Dr said whatever my uterine abnormality may be, it should have no impact on my pregnancy because my uterus looks oval now. He said after i have the baby, i can come in for some fancy 3D imaging to confirm whats really going on, if im curious.

So all in all i think i worried a shit ton for the last 13 weeks for nothing
  • Options
    @alannac1 the same exact thing happened to me and my sister! We both had indications of a septum (but didn't know how extreme), they said as the pregnancy progressed they would keep an eye on it. Then when I had my 8 weeks US for this pregnancy they didn't find anything. My sister just had her 8 wk US a few weeks ago and they said the same thing. :angry: so I worried myself sick over increase change of miscarriage, stillbirth, early labor, etc., just to find out that everything's fine...
  • Options
    @kianarain

Thats crazy that it happened to both of you too! In hindsight, i maybe wish i would have had another midwife or dr weigh in on my initial US where my midwife said it was "probably bicornuate".. from now on when i hear "probably" anything im "probably" going to get a second opinion
  • Options
    @alannac1 and @kianarain, I'm sorry that you had to worry over what appears to be nothing for weeks. Glad everything looks good now! I'm hoping to hear the same news next week at my scan, especially since I had no issues with DD.