September 2018 Moms
Options

What my pregnant self is eating in July

FOOOOD!!!! what are you eating to keep cool this month?

Re: What my pregnant self is eating in July

• Options
    I finally made pimento cheese!!!!!! I even brought it to a party and this is what happened....
    Dude: what's that?
    Chick: looks like pimento cheese

So it was at least recognizable and people ate it. I thought it was tasty AND my food processor has a cheese grater attachment so it took like 5 minutes to mix up!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Applesauce jello, cookie dough, ice cream, and fresh fruit. Because that's all I can handle when I'm hot.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lots of water but that's drink... I eat salad and yea popsicles anytime!
  • Options
    So much fresh fruit. Or just cold food in general. Because hot food is making me nauseous :|
  • Options
    I am right there with a lot of you ladies, so much watermelon and ice cream!  I would eat both at every meal if I could. 
  • Options
    Watermelon, pizza, anything salty followed by about 2 gallons of water. I can’t remember the last time I had a salad....oops. 
  • Options
    @samd6 I will get a watermelon shake this week and think of you! So delicious I love when July rolls around every year and I get my Watermelon shakes.
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    edited July 2018
    @klj0228 I got a calendar reminder (that I must have set years ago) on July 1st that just said "WATERMELON MILKSHAKE!" and I started crying lol. At least I'll be in NC during eggnog milkshake season ;) I tried making my own watermelon milkshake and it was TERRIBLE, and again, tears flowing. 

Also adding nachos from Qdoba to my list of always eating. I can't seem to get enough. 

I'm supposed to add more iron to my diet (slightly deficient, not enough to supplement with a vitamin). The way I plan to resolve it? Palak Paneer & so many black eyed peas. Anybody have a favorite iron rich foods recipe they want to share? I'd love it if I could find a iron rich smoothie that DIDN'T have any greens in it lol I hate greens in a smoothie,
  • Options
    stothistothi member
    @samd6 can you add spinach to other things? I put it in quiche, scrambled eggs, sandwiches, muffins, breads, and for me, smoothies.
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    @stothi probably, I’m just not wild about spinach outside of palak paneer lol. 
  • Options
    @mauishay, that looks so good! I've been eating my fair share of watermelon, pineapple, and ice cream. Last week when I went to the grocery store I was having a hard time choosing between drumsticks and mint ice cream so I ended up buying both. Told my h if there was ever a time to buy 2 things if ice cream it's when I'm pregnant. He agreed.
  • Options
    knitknitreadknitknitread member
    edited July 2018
    @samd6 Lentils are high in iron! So are sweet potatoes, I make a Whole30 Autumn Hash that is good without the greens (though I should eat them) and pop a fried egg on it. 

General list of iron rich foods:
    https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/blood-donation-process/before-during-after/iron-blood-donation/iron-rich-foods.html

Favorite lentils recipe

https://www.daringgourmet.com/masoor-dal-indian-red-lentil-soup/

This is the most similar recipe that I can find online for the autumn hash. I use cinnamon and nutmeg instead of sage and thyme. And sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash.

https://therealfoodrds.com/butternut-squash-and-apple-hash-with-sausage/

ETA- This smoothie looks promising but I'd suggest using water instead of milk, or maybe orange juice without added calcium. No ideas on beets substitute if you happen to hate beets. 

https://jimenalerma.com/smoothie-for-iron-deficiency-anemia/
  • Options
    @mauishay you are making me crazy looking at that delicious stuff! Maybe I’ll add it to the menu this week. 
  • Options
    samd6samd6 member
    @knitknitread thank you for the thoughtful recipes!! That hash sounds delicious and like something that would carry to work nicely! 
  • Options
    I'm loving the fruit at the bottom greek yogurt lately. No particular brand or flavor.. It all tastes good to me.
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been on the watermelon salad too but I have it with fetta cheese mint and a tiny bit of sherry vinegar. I'm also loving fresh papaya with goats cheese (the pasturised kind without a rind that isn't on the no list) and black pepper on top. Yum! Also home made watermelon chilli and lime ice pops. 
  • Options
    Hi all! That's amazing that so many of you are craving watermelon because I thought I was the only one mad for watermelon! I found watermelon soda that is the store brand and is really sweet like candy. I also will get a watermelon and just eat a bunch of it for breakfast or blend some of it straight from the fruit and make watermelon smoothie but I guess it's more like juice. It could be frozen and made into popsicles. My other big go to recently are fresh cherries. I cannot get enough fresh cherries! They're so delicious! Other things on my cravings list at this point include Capri Suns, bananas, lemonade, and as always cheese. 31 weeks, ya'll!! <3
  • Options
    @knitknitread, that would totally be my H. He is always encouraging me to eat things like that because, well, the baby wants it!
  • Options
    You ladies are so funny! Can I throw pickles into the mix with the ice cream cravings? So good. So good.
  • Options
    We have ice cream at our house, but I badly needed soft serve with the cherry dip. My husband went out to get me some. Luckily, our favorite place in cheap and less than a mile. It was amazing. First time in two pregnancies I've sent him out like that.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’ve got a thing for mint everything when I’m pregnant and we currently have an ice cream that is grasshoppers pie flavor and it is SO good. 

Unfortunately many of my food choices right now are based on my best guess of what won’t cause heart burn
  • Options
    @sarah-ruby-21, um yes...yes we can! I have been eating so many pickles throughout my pregnancy.