Infertility

Newbie intro & questions (TW: child)

marijaa333marijaa333 member
edited July 2018 in Infertility
Hello everyone!

I was TTC#1 three years ago and found great support on the TTC>35 and May 2015 boards, but now I'm dealing with what seems like secondary infertility and would love to join you all.

Specifically, I'm waiting for CD3 to have the initial tests, however, I'm on CD46 today with no sign of AF and wondering if I should call my RE to ask what to do or wait a bit longer to see if AF shows. My temperatures were steady until five days or so, when I recorded a shift, so it's possible I ovulated super late (and missed it entirely - I was traveling so BDing was not possible).  I've tested -- BFN after BFN.

By way of background, I'm 39, turning 40 in early October. I have had pretty regular periods with a 24-28 day cycle and a luteal phase of about 12 days; this one is a super long one, following a super short one, but before this I was pretty regular. At 36, we conceived on the first try naturally and had an uneventful pregnancy. My RE said this is a good sign but obviously it's not going so well this time around!

I'm wondering a few things:

a) should I call the RE now at CD46 to try to figure out what's up, or wait a bit longer for AF, given the temperature shift a few days ago? and

b) do CD3 tests have to be done on CD3, or would e.g. CD5 be acceptable? We are traveling next week to Canada and I'm wondering if I need to look up places that can do blood work while we're there...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie intro & questions (TW: child)

• mockingjay1mockingjay1 member
    edited July 2018
    *lurking*

My RE wouldn't prescribe anything to induce a period until CD 60. If you noted a temp shift hopefully you'll get your period soon. My REs (both offices I went to) wanted CD 3 lab work on CD 3 (they'd maybe fudge it 1 day either way) especially for the initial workup. Good luck to you moving forward!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited July 2018
    Thank you @mockingjay1 ! that's helpful to know about CD 60 being the cutoff.  And I have found a lab in Canada and sent them an online inquiry... hopefully they respond.  Good luck to you too - nice to see a positive story!
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice, just saying hi and welcome.
  • kjk024kjk024 member
    Some people say parsley tea and aspirin can start a period. Personally, I think it is probably just hogwash, but I’ve tried it before when desperate! It’s fruatrating when you just want to start and it will not come!

I am sorry I cannot be of more help in that regard. 

As fair as the testing, my office says day 2-4 is within the window they’re hoping for.

Welcome to the boards! I am fairly new here myself, This is a pretty friendly group of ladies. Hopefully you will not have to stay long. <3
    My Age: 25
    Husband's Age: 27
    Diagnosis: Unexplained azoospermia, production issue.
    IVF July 2018: pending and staying hopeful :)
  • @kjk024 Thank you! AF came on Cd50 but I was desperate enough that I would have tried parsley tea with aspirin, or aspirin tea with parsley or any other old wive's tale. Hope your stay is short as well!
  • Hello :)

I am really sorry that you are struggling with secondary infertility. 48 days with no period is starting to be a long time, usually it is suggested that if you do not get a period in 60 days you should talk to your doctor, they can prescribe something to jump start it. You could always try calling your doctor now and see if they can help or wait a little more, it is up to you.

For your second question, at my clinic the test had to be day 3.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016