1st Trimester
Options

BFP at 5 weeks... Nothing showing up on Ultrasound!!!

Hi all, I just got three BFP's on Tuesday morning, at what I suspect is 4.5 or 5 weeks along. This is my first pregnancy and I'm so excited but my doctor worried me a bit today! I had my first visit (Friday, 3 days after BFP) and he took bloodwork, I'm going for more bloodwork in 48 hours, and he did a vaginal ultrasound. He didn't see anything in my uterus on the ultrasound!!! My friend said her doc didn't even do an Ultrasound at 5 weeks because he knew she wouldn't see anything. She said her first ultrasound was at 8 weeks and even then, all she saw was a tiny dot. Should I be worried, or is this standard? I'm kind of annoyed that my doctor performed an ultrasound if he knew he wasn't going to find anything visible!!! 

Re: BFP at 5 weeks... Nothing showing up on Ultrasound!!!

• Options
    If you’re 5 weeks there won’t be much to see. Most doctors wait until 8-12 weeks for that reason. No reason to worry.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme thank you for that reassurance! This is all new to me, and very nerve-wracking. I'm trying to enjoy knowing I'm pregnant! I know it's better for the baby if I don't panic! :) Easier said than done though! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m surprised they did an ultrasound at all because unless you have no idea when your last period was they’d usually just have you come in later. Today you are pregnant. Try checking out your birt month board to connect with other ladies due around the same time as you.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme I'm surprised too. I didn't know what to expect but then when I told my mom and my best friend (who has an 18 month old) they BOTH said "what? why would he do an ultrasound?" it really scared the life out of me to the point where I am considering finding a new doctor. Way too fragile for any aloof doctors right now! LOL. I'd check my birth month board but I'm not sure I know what it will be - I'm thinking it's late Feb or early March? But based on my Dr. appointment yesterday now I'm completely thrown off! UGH! Thanks for the help, again.... feels great to hear this from someone who is unbiased! 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    If you don’t know when you’re lmp was or when you ovulated, it could be that he was just checking to make sure you weren’t further along than you thought?  If you go back to get more blood work done, you could ask him about it
  • Options
    @nackie - i knew when LMP was and i was using ovulation sticks which is why it's so weird! i guess we'll see how tomorrow's bloodwork goes and go from there. 
  • Options
    If you informed them of this it’s completely unnecessary. My first pregnancy i didn’t have a vaginal ultrasound until 24 weeks (sonagram at 9 weeks) when they did the anatomy scan. Im back in the Bump as I just got a BFP yesterday. Good luck!