March 2019 Moms

VBAC

Anyone else contemplating a VBAC? (Or had a VBAC before?) I had a c section due to breech presentation with my first and I’m already a ball of nerves this early on with #2 and can’t make up my mind to attempt the VBAC or go for the repeat c section. Thoughts?

Re: VBAC

• I have no advice, but I have the exact same situation. I would love to hear what others have to say. I go back and forth all the time about whether or not to try a vbac. My doctor said I have a while to decide so I'm going to take my time before making any decisions.
  • Same situation. I haven’t talked to my Dr yet because so early.

with my first I wanted a natural birth so badly, but had to have an emergency C when his vitals suddenly dropped wile being monitored. The entired situation was very scary, not to mention many, many hours of terrible pain wile they tried to get me to dialate, wile on petocin... it was a whole thing. Won’t go into it here but.. it makes me just want to do another C section because of how awful and scary the original situation was. I don’t know what the odds are of all that happening again but... at the time it felt like my body literally didn’t understand how to give birth, and then baby was put it danger because of it. 

So just ugh.... 

But then another side of me is like... Could I do it? I still am amazed anyone can squeeze a tiny human out of them!! And a part of me weirdly wants to do it

• Loading the player...
  • I’m contemplating it but will definitely discuss with MD once it gets closer. I changed my lifestyle and have eaten healthier and exercised more since DS was born. I’m hoping for a quick recovery with a VBAC but definitely something I’m considering! 
  • I can’t speak from experience because I didn’t have a c-section, but I suggest that if you’re able to attempt VBAC (like if your Dr. is ok with it), you consider hiring a doula to help advocate for you in the moment, and to consider routine chiropractor care during your pregnancy to try to correct a breech situation but also make sure your pelvis is in a strong position to VBAC. I did both of these things and I think it really helped me in my birth plan. 
  • Thanks! I actually did chiropractic care (and a ECV) for my last pregnancy, but my girl just didn’t want to turn- we later found she had a double nuchal cord so the doctors just think she didn’t have the room to turn! How did you find your doula?
  • @mamaoftwomonkeys ugh that stinks. Sometimes you do everything you can and there’s just no changing things. 

I actually didn’t know doulas existed until I went to a workshop run by some at a baby store. There were two and I loved one of them and when we left, my DH said so is that our doula? She had to end up having a c-section herself, but I think with a doula’s help it can either be avoided or maybe done sooner to avoid unnecessary pain. I know someone who pushed for three hours, only to find baby hadn’t even descended! You can search find a doula online and there are search engines that show certified doulas. Our hospital also had doulas for hire, but since they are hired through the hospital they don’t come to your home first, which I think can be really valuable. My doula met with us for hours to get to know us, her package included a Prenatal massage and birthing class, as well as lactation consultation once we got home. I still talk to her about any issues I have. I’ve noticed if someone chooses that path as a career they’re usually so sweet and caring. I’d recommend meeting a few and it might be very obvious who you connect with. She was an integral part of my labor and delivery and I wouldn’t take it back for the world!
  • I am in the same position.  DD was breech.  I found out at 38 weeks.  I havent discussed anything with my doctor being this early, but I would assume I would do a VBAC, unless this lo is breech also.  I admittedly haven't researched this at all yet, but is it common for doctors to let you choose a c-section after a previous one for breech position?
  • I’m really glad this topic was posted so early, because I am definitely already thinking about it. It’s nice to see I’m not the only one!

Long story short, I don’t know if I am a good candidate for VBAC but I would really like to try.
    Between labor not starting naturally, a stalled labor, and a 10.5 pound baby that never even entered the birthing canal, I am not sure that I will be given the option. 

Recovering from the c-section was awful, especially after 48h of labor. I cried every night for two weeks because I couldn’t deliver her vaginally, and my milk didn’t come in for a week, which caused it’s own issues. 

I would love to try for a vaginal delivery, but part of me just wants to schedule the c-section to avoid the same disappointment. I chose a hospital with an 80% VBAC success rate, so I will trust the opinion of my midwife/OB. 
  • So glad I’m not the only one obsessing this early too
  •  That weirdly posted before I was done. I was going to say that I had the same experience with milk coming in late. 

Thanks  @Lbloom For sharing how it went for you! It really helps to hear personal experience of how it went :-)
  • @kerco925 girl same! Sounds like a similar situation I had with my son 4 years ago. I always said I’d want to go for a VBAC but I’m realizing how scared I am now that it can be a reality and not just an idea. It was scary to get to the end and feel like my body didn’t know what to do next 
    Me: 26  DH: 29
    Married since May 2013
    DS born July 2014
    TTC#2 since April 2015
    BFP on 7/2/2013

• I had a planned C-section with my first because she was breech, and a planned, RCS for my second. I plan on having a C-section for this, too (third and final babe!).

My doctor was on board with my RCS because I had two abdominal surgeries prior to my first C-section, and there was some concern about a long or difficult labor causing other issues related to prior surgeries.
  • So... Dr yesterday  said they won’t allow any trial of labor if you’ve had a previous c section. I reallly didn’t want the stress but it looks like I’m finding a new OB.  
  • @mamaoftwomonkeys I’m really sorry! That seems like such an outdated policy when VBAC success rates are overall pretty high. Good luck finding a supportive practice! 
  • I go back and forth on what I´d like to do. I had an unplanned c-section with my DS because even though he wanted to come out, my body did not. I would not dilate even though my water broke and I was in full on labor. I was on pitocin for 12 hours and only dilated .5 cm (and that was the doctor being generous). My c-section was quick and the recovery wasn´t so bad. And I was lucky that my milk came in right away. Because it was unplanned, however, my husband wasn´t allowed in the operating room so I have no pictures of my baby being born which I was bummed about. I have my 1st DR appt (with the same OBGYN) on Tuesday so we´ll see what he says. 
  • I’m in a great, evidence based VBAC/RCS group on Facebook. It’s really helping me to sort through my thoughts on it all. 
  • @mamaoftwomonkeys that sucks!  I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that. FX you find a great & supprtive OB soon.
  • shrubshrub member
    I have had 2 c sections. My first was an emergency due to the cord being wrapped and baby losing heartbeat. 
    My 2nd was a failed/unattempted VBAC. At 41 weeks I was showing no signs of labour and they decided to call it and do a csection 12 hours later. I was heartbroken. The c section went really well though and the healing was so much better than the 1st. 
    I feel like I've been cheated and would love to try VBAC once again

• I had a c/s with my first because of failure to progress. My recovery was a breeze. I was determined to VBAC with my 2nd because I didn’t want to be limited in the amount of children I had because of c/s. I ended up VBACing, thanks to an epidural and suction (he was a big baby and I’m not very big). Recovery was terrible. With my second VBAC, we hired a doula and it was amazing. I had no epidural and had no recovery time. My 3rd VBAC was not bad. He was sunny side up and I credit his pain med free delivery to my amazing doula. This will be my 4th VBAC. I’m trying to get my husband on board with a homebirth, but he’s a physician and feels a lot more comfortable in the hospital setting. If you decide to VBAC, which I recommend if your doctor gives you the green light, I highly recommend a doula-as in, I liked mine so much that I will never birth without a doula ever again. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I’m hoping for a VBAC. I had a C section because I had HELLP and needed baby out ASAP. And I was fine with that decision at the time but the recovery was so hard. I can’t imagine doing that with a toddler around, too. I’m going to ask my dr about it tomorrow. 
  • I had an AMAZING VBAC with baby #2. C-section with #1 was after a god awful failed induction due to my high BP at 36w. I was sick, baby was in the NICU for three weeks, the whole experience was just awful. Second birth was like night and day. My advice would be:

1. Join your local ICAN or VBAC support Facebook group and read up. See if other people are recommending your doctor as VBAC supportive. My first doctor/practice claimed to be supportive but even early in my pregnancy they were setting way more arbitrary conditions than I was comfortable with. “We’ll support you IF...” baby weighs less than a certain number based on ultrasound (ridiculously unreliable), you go in to labor on your own by 39 weeks, etc. I switched to midwife care at 20w and never looked back. 

2. Hire a doula!! I’m pretty sure I would’ve given up without mine. 
  • @kateemgeethesequel Thanks for sharing your experience! I am waiting for my first midwife appointment to hear if I am even a good candidate for VBAC, but I have already been thinking about a doula. 

My husband seemed concerned that the doula would take his place as the “coach”. Did you find your birthing partner still got to play an active role, even with the doula? 
  • edited July 2018
    Ah TB keeps deleting my comments.
    @maggiemadeit TBH my husband is kind of a terrible coach
  • TB apparently does not want me to elaborate further on my husband’s ineptitudes lol

They were both so important to my success. My DH was there for me the whole time but didn’t like seeing me in so much pain. When I wanted to give up, my doula kept reminding me that the pain is part
    of the process and reassuring me that I could do it. 
  • TB apparently does not want me to elaborate further on my husband’s ineptitudes lol

>snip<
    Are you using emojis on a phone keyboard? These forums do not recognize them and will remove anything written after the emoji. The only emojis you can use are the ones built into the board. Some of them can be found under the smiley icon in the area above the reply box, but there are a lot more. You can find them by typing a colon and then various letters or going here. https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12730385/emoji-cheat-sheet
  • @lovesclimbing ahh yes, that would be the problem ;)

thank you!
  • shrubshrub member
    @cflo83 I LOVE hearing that your friend was successful. I am very hopeful.

• edited July 2018
    I’ve had 2 successful VBACs so far and am planning for another this time around.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The support on this thread is amazing! Thank you everyone for the ideas. I had my son via c-section. I really wanted to go natural. After 40+ hours without sleep, I started to hallucinate (bizarre), get scared, got the epidural, and had a c-section for failure to descend. I learned that I have to be flexible to know that a c-section may be necessary again, but I would at least like to go into labor naturally like I did my first child. I think it helps with a lot of things (their health, breastfeeding) not to be taken out before they're ready. I'll be looking for a VBAC doctor so I can have a trial of labor, at a minimum. 
  • I met with my midwife for the first time today and I was pleased to hear that she has no pre-set limitations on VBAC. She basically said they always assume you can VBAC until proven otherwise.

She also listened really carefully to the horror story of my first labor and asked questions, then pointed out all the positive things that happened that pointed to the possibility of a successful VBAC. I feel very happy and supported! 

Now here’s hoping I don’t make another 10+ pound baby to try to squeeze out...
  • So glad to read this thread and see others in the same situation!

I had a c-section with my first after a 6-day failed induction for high BP at 39 weeks.  I was told my induction could take anywhere from 1-3 days because I hadn't started to dilate yet, but was completely surprised (not in a good way) when on day 3 I had still only dilated to a 2 and they began telling me I needed a c-section.  Meanwhile, they were monitoring baby the whole time (she was fine) as well as my BP- which was higher than normal, but not alarmingly high, which even the nurses agreed.  They tried all different induction drugs & methods over a 5-day period (Mon -Fri) including many extremely painful internal exams and kept pushing for the c-section from the morning of day 3 on.  By Saturday morning (day 6) I finally broke down and went forward with the c-section.  I was physically and mentally exhausted from being in a hospital room for 5 days, and seeing so many other moms come and go having their babies while I was still basically in the same position as day 1.  I did have a quick and easy c-section with no complications, and actually left the hospital 2 days later (typically at my hospital they want you to stay for 4 days after a c-section, not sure if this is the norm?) I basically told me OB there was no way I was staying any longer and I had no problems at home with my recovery.  

I was driving again the next week and physically felt fine after only a few days.  Mentally I was pretty upset for awhile about my experience, with none of my medical providers telling me that an induction could fail, and that I could be in the hospital for 8 days, even though my only issue was slightly elevated BP.  Not to mention, my husband wasted 7 out of 10 paternity leave days in the hospital with me, and only had a few days home with my daughter before he had to return to work.

This time around, my OB has moved practices and I dont think I will switch to her new practice.  While I liked her, I dont like what she put me through without giving me all of the information I think she should have.  My first appt with my new OB is 8/8 and I will discuss her opinion on VBAC then.  I am not 100% sure I want to try VBAC because even after all I went through, my C-section and recovery went really well.  I also am hoping for 4 children (this will be #2), and don't know how my OB feels about multiple c-sections.  Has anyone else discussed this with their OB?

Its really helpful reading others stories and experiences as well and being able to use that info to help in making my decision.  
  • The more csections a mom goes through, the more complicated they can become. 1 and 2 tend to have less complications than 3 and definitely 4. But the risks for vbacs go down with each one. Inductions are not easy, and are not only physically draining, but emotionally as well. Hopefully you won’t be in a situation to need that again. 
  • CaptainPhasmaCaptainPhasma member
    edited August 2018
    That chart is so helpful!

I'm also torn... there's like 60-80% success rate of you attempt labor after C-section (if your OB says you're a good candidate)... but there's still that 1% chance of uterine rupture that kinda freaks me out.

I had a really positive C-section experience (immediate skin to skin, awake the whole time, partner in the room, photos of us as a family, quick healing... and most importantly healthy baby!) the whole reason I'd choose VBAC is to make future births easier, what if I end up risking my fertility for that, even if it's a tiny risk?

Definitely something I'll discuss with my doctor at the first appointment. I'm hoping I'm a good candidate and that this baby is more cooperative than the last. I'd like to at least attempt labor.

• Have you read through vbacfacts.com, this is an article about uterine rupture and understanding the statistics 

https://vbacfacts.com/2012/04/03/confusing-fact-only-6-of-uterine-ruptures-are-catastrophic/
  • If it helps, ACOG actually recommends VBAC over c section now for women with one prior low transverse c section. The fact that my OB didn’t want to follow these guidelines despite best evidence was what made me decide it was time to switch and find someone more supportive 

https://www.acog.org/-/media/ACOG-Today/acogToday0810.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20180803T1401528945
  • Ohh I hate that calculator. It’s quite flawed. One only needs to change their race to something not white to see their chances drop, and that’s not due to the mom or her circumstances, it’s due to systematic racism that happens within the birth world. The biggest things that will make a difference is provider, location, and provider (oh yeah, and don’t forget the provider). ;)