December 2018 Moms
Options

UO • 6.19

Re: UO • 6.19

• Options
    These are wide generalizations, of course, but I think the facebook posts can be a symptom of two different things - either being extroverted, or narcissistic. There is a difference though: extroverted people just generally post more because they are more "social" in real life, which extends to their social media life. Narcissistic people tend to post "self-promoting" posts to gain attention and "likes". They are not doing it to show that person how much they love them by posting about them on facebook, but so that they are commended for their love (or congratulations, or appreciation, or whatever). And how often are you tempted to click "like" on those types of posts because they are sweet and happy, and therefore validate that behavior?

Like I said, these are generalizations, so I am not calling everyone a narcissist - maybe they are just so happy that day that they want to "shout it from the rooftops" type of deal, but it's certainly something to think about.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    +1 for not liking obviously curated social media perfection!
    I have several cousins who are total drama queens. One day they post “my man is so great” things, then the next day they share crap like “if you don’t treat your woman right, she will leave you” I block all of those pages, but still see their shared BS. So as a result I don’t follow them. #sorrynotsorry

But I’m okay with the subtle spouse/parent appreciation on holidays. A few sentences will suffice, but of course, my feeds were also inundated with long stories and all the photos. DH had a private Fathers Day with me and the dogs. That was nice. 

+1 for loving the zipper merge! I love it so much that I’m the person who ALWAYS lets in trucks - they’re just doing their job, cutting them off is rude & dangerous. Wish more folks obeyed on-ramp meters (during metering hours), they work great if each car is willing to wait ten whole seconds between cars! 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @clbness Any update to the childcare situation?
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 why should cats not eat dry kibble? I don't own cats and know nothing about them... why is that not healthy?
  • Options
    @Jens_Hoes SO MUCH YES!

@katy0990 I had a great talk with my daycare lady when she got back from vacation on Monday and I politely instilled some fear in her (she has mentioned so many times how she would hate to lose us...she even CRIED to MH about it).  I just told her that we have taken the fall for my friends irresponsible parenting more than once.  The first time could have been avoided had my lady adhered to her 24 hour policy and not allowed my friends child to come back after 12 hours.  She had a talk with my friend and let her know that she has had multiple parent complaints about her bringing her kids to daycare while sick and if they're sick, she needs to suck it up and stay home from work with them (like every other parent out there).  I had been busy at work up until today, so I plan on having the talk with my friend...because she can tell I have been a little stand-offish.  This whole situation just makes me stressy and want to run away...because I'm a weiner.  
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @clbness  I am glad you had a good talk with the daycare provider. Good luck with your friend! Confrontation sucks :(
  • Options
    @clbness I am bad at confrontation as well. Good for you for doing it when you need to! Good luck!
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @temmetime i don't like fitbits either! I got a leaf to track workouts, sleep, menstrual cycle, and meditation. It's cute, but i don't really use it that much because found that it wasn't really something i wanted to be obsessed with anyway. Sometimes I will wear it when I know I'm going to be especially active, just out of curiosity. I also don't have any kind of smart watch because I love to wear "old fashioned" analog watches!  
  • Options
    @temmetime *gasp* I love fitness accessories! Granted, I've never owned a Fitbit per se, but I loved my Jawbone UP and I lurve my Apple Watch. I'm not too interested in fashion or steps either, but it's easy to deny the elevator and say "gotta get my steps in" when in reality I just take the stairs as often as possible so I don't get too fat (regardless of steps). I got into it because Jawbone does sleep tracking, and it really helped me identify my sleep patterns and confirmed restless nights - I thought I was losing my mind.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @katy0990 @rosebud332 Thank you!  I hate confrontation too, so I'm not looking forward to it...thanks for your encouragement!

• Options
    @temmetime It’s not my steps that I’m obsessed with...it’s my sleep stats! But yes, I will admit my Fitbit is fugly and enormous. I used to have the clip-on style but wanted to have the heart rate info. I do wish there was some workaround (ankle Fitbit??) because I want to go back to wearing my nice watches. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    oohh man I'm dying for an apple watch but haven't been able to justify the $400 for it. I am secretly hoping DH surprises me with one when he gets his July bonus.. but he probably won't since we have to buy baby things + a shed instead. 
  • Options
    @temmetime I've been dropping my fitbit in my bra and it's been great ever since!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @pensivecrayon I posted before I saw what you wrote.  I have a fitbit blaze and put it monitor side toward my boob in my bra and it still does a good job of tracking heart rate, steps, etc! I love it there as opposed to my wrist!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I'm still in the "fax machine era" and have the FitBit One (I think it's called?).  It's the tiny one you can clip on your bra or waistband.  I'm surprised I don't still have a flip phone, if we're talking about being behind the times!  :D

• Options
    @texas_t
    Lol - boob fitbit. Is that a natural evolution from boob money?

• Options
    @AdorkablePixie what's TTT? I don't think I  know that one lol.

+1 for not liking AW FB posts on holidays/birthdays/anniversaries. I used to be that person, and I always felt so pressured to "say the right thing". Now, I just tell people in person how I feel. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks? Just my opinion.

@tumbleweed-1 my cats get dry food and I'm wanting to switch to wet, but idk what to get!! I can't do anything super expensive, but I can do more than the cheapest brand. I've got a long hair cat who is difficult because she eats so fast and swallows her food whole, then throws it up whole. I'm hoping wet food will help that! I'm just so overwhelmed by all the options and tying to figure out what's healthy and "right" for our cats, so I've just stuck with the dry food my mom gave them. If you have any suggestions/help with type of wet food (brand, flavor if those make a difference, or anything that's hairball control or weight management (long hair is super fat because my grandma used to feed her at will...) I'd love some advice!)
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @texas_t Ooh, where in your bra? Totally trying this. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon My side boob next to the underwire!  It's also good when you push a stroller because my fitbit has a hard time knowing I'm walking when I push a stroller because my arms don't move, so it's worked better for that, too!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    I say bah-humbug to fitbits.  I already know I sleep like shit.  I don't need a bracelet to tell me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @texas_t Thank you! This is so great! It will also make things more accurate during the newborn period, when I racked up all sorts of steps from jiggling my kid to sleep. I could tell how bad of a day we had based on whether it was a 10,000-step day or not. :#
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    I love my apple watch, which tracks my steps and heartrate and whatnot. I use it for running, too, because it's about as accurate as anybody would really need for tracking that. Like, I don't care that it's .02 different than my friend's garmin. 

But honestly, I use it mostly as ... a watch. I also adore that I get notifications there so I can check that more discretely than whipping out my phone. And the weather... I check the weather on the damn thing constantly to decide whether I should walk outside or inside at work. 

I'm addicted, I don't care if it's fug. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @pensivecrayon The best thing is when you forget it's tucked in there and you whip off your bra and your fitbit goes flying across the room  :D
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Well now I'm questioning all the times I've seen my cat drinking from her bowl and the dog's bowl. Maybe I have a rare, water-loving cat, because I've seen her drinking water almost as much as I've seen her actually eating food. But maybe she's just sick :(

And holy hell it occurs to me that our cat is 12 years old this year. How in the hell did that happen. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 I'm happy that you're such a health conscious cat mom :heart: When I had cats I always felt bad for giving them dry food, but they were little water buffalos - and stayed well hydrated. I know that some would argue that I shouldn't have had two gatos if I couldn't feed them as well as possible, but I 100% percent knew that they were better off with me than the tweakers who wanted the kittens away from their illegal dog breeding operation :bawling:

Anniversary
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat and @echo-charlietango I certainly don’t mean to make you (or anyone) feel bad. Lots of cats live long, happy lives on only dry food. I’ve had to become health conscious/uptight about my cats food because of her specific medical history. There’s so much more to being a good pet owner than just what we feed them. Snuggles, play/exercise, grooming, and medical care are all important to a pet’s quality of life. I have to spend more on my cats food because she almost died and it was traumatic and horrible and I don’t want to go there again, but I’m not a perfect cat mom. My cat is behind on her shots (she’s indoor only since the first colitis incident), and I can only trim one nail of hers at a time (before she attacks) so I mostly don’t even bother. 

Also, it’s hard to talk about what’s “best” for pets and what they should or shouldn’t have without coming across as very classist. I’m aware of that. I grew up poor and we had probably more pets than were within our means, but should my siblings and I have been denied the experience of the unconditional love of a dog because of the amount of money my parents earned? I don’t believe so. My parents did the best they could to provide, and now, I’m in a different situation with more disposable income than my parents had, and I’m doing the best I can to provide. 

That’s all we can do. 
  • Options
    ^ Agree! I'm so happy that DH & I can provide for our doggos. They give us all of the love and protection, the least we can do is keep them happy and healthy as possible :heart:

Anniversary
  • Options
    @hkom That is exactly how I feel about fitbits.  It'll just stress me out to track so much stuff, especially sleep.  I'll get anxious when the numbers aren't good.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 omg the water thing totally makes sense!! I've been joking that I need to find or create a fancy water fountain thing for our other cat (short hair). I don't think she drinks from her dish much, she prefers to climb up in my bathroom sink and meow until I turn the faucet on a low stream so she can drink it. But I do have to fill the water dish every day or two, so between the two of them, the water is being drank. I've been wanting to start wet food, I honestly didn't know any better until the last year or so because my family (Mom, grandma, etc) has only ever done dry food! My mom has a new cat and has worked in wet food for her because she now knows better, but she does get dry sometimes too. So question about "meal times"...we don't really have a set schedule for feeding our cats...I usually just fill the dish when it's empty, which is every day and a half or two, they don't eat it all in one sitting. Should I be limiting how much I give them and do that two or three times a day? What do you usually do? I'm such an uneducated pet mom...I just do what I know, which I know isn't "right". I'm also horrible about grooming our cats...the long hair hair cat is so fat she can't reach her back to clean herself, so she gets matted hair and dandruff...I have a brush, I need to keep up with it better...
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 it’s ok to free feed (leave it and they eat when they want) with dry food, but wet food should be set meal times. Because of the moisture, bacteria can multiply on it the same way if we keep our food out. If I put my cats wet food out and she really doesn’t seem interested in it I try to pay attention and put it back in the fridge within 30 mins or so. Then I take it back out for her to eat later. If I forget and it’s been out for more than 2-3 hours without her finishing it all it sadly goes in the trash. 
    My cat is spoiled with 3 meals a day rn (we have flexible schedules and one of us is usually home). The only “set” meal time she has is dinner (at 8pm). Lunch she gets if we are home, if we aren’t home in the middle of the day it turns into two dinners. Breakfast depends on when humans wake up- despite her best efforts to meow and annoy us. 
    Your cat’s food bag should have the recommended serving amount per day based on their weights on the back. If it were me, I’d start with smaller scoops of the dry food in the morning, just the amount they will eat in a day (what the bag says if you aren’t sure). Then pick a time in the evening to set out some wet food and see how they do. Good luck! 
    Mad for grooming, I’ve never had a long haired cat, but in know my cat hates being brushed. If your cats like it that’s a big help. Do you have a vet/groomer who can cut off the matted fur? You could also try carefully to cut off the mats with scissors. I used to have a long haired guinea pig and I did that with him. I’d hold a comb close to his skin, under the mess of fur, to help protect him from accidentally getting cut.