February 2019 Moms
Options

Breaking The News

So I just found out I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd child. We've been talking about how to break the news to my fiancé's parents. We already know that my family will be super excited for the new baby but there is sometimes a lot of negativity toward major life changes on his family's side and I'm worried the news won't be taken as well. They're always very concerned about our financial situation which is 100% under control. Any advice on how to tell them about the pregnancy and coping with their potentially not-so-great reactions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Breaking The News

• Options
    Honestly you can’t control how other people feel and I’m sorry you have to deal with the negativity during such a happy time. Everyone has an opinions on what other people choose to do. MH family is difficult to deal with 90% of the time I pretty much have the mind set that they have issues and it’s not my problem to deal with. Your are going to be the most important thing in your child’s life any choices they make when it comes to your children’s is there’s to deal with not your. 
  • Options
    It’s my parents that are the same for the exact same reason. My dad is being told to be nice or don’t say anything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you see his family often? If not.. I would probably be a jerk and just not tell them. Not their uterus, not their problem.
  • Options
    I mean.. you’ll have to tell them eventually I suppose, but if you can wait awhile for the sake of your sanity, I would ;)
  • Options
    I would hold off on telling them - we are doing that with ILs because we know MIL won’t be pleased. Despite the fact that they don’t help us in anyway nor do we see them often (despite being closer than my parents who watch them all the time and still work while ILs are retired).

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    That's crummy... I would hold off on telling them unless you want to just get it over with. I'd give them less time to be negative before the LO arrives. 

My mum is pro at making insensitive comments so I'm a touch nervous about telling her but I know that after the initial reaction she'll be fine. I'm not going to delay for that.
  • Options
    I’m sorry you’re in this situation, but like others have said, I would hold off on telling his family. If they aren’t supporting the baby then I don’t know why your financial situation is any of their business in the first place. 
  • Options
    Yeah, we see them pretty frequently. I mean they're fine, they just have very strong opinions.