December 2018 Moms

Gestational Diabetes

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• @omnommer starting at 32 weeks I go in for weekly growth scans. Up to this point I've had regular monthly OB appts plus MFM appts (also monthly), so twice the normal amount. I haven't been told anything about doing NSTs, so not sure if that's part of my weekly appts or not. Sorry you're joining us here, but welcome!

@kadeephd GD doesn't make sense sometimes...I've been sick, so I think that's my issue, but today my reading was 135 after my usual breakfast of yogurt. Same flavor, same brand, same amount of "activity" afterwards (general movement at work), usually readings are 87-100 for breakfast. No idea wtf happened today honestly. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @mamajudec2018 oh no! Hope you’d be able to keep the baby inside as long as possible. Glad to hear hospital food is good for your numbers!

welcome @tunnel @omnommer sorry you to find yourself here!

@omnommer I had 204 after the 1 hour test at 10w6d. I had an extra scan at 28. And will have another one at 32. Then, because I’m on insulin I’ll have 2 weekly NST from 32 weeks and they plan to induce me at 39 weeks. 
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Loading the player...
  • hoosiermama-2hoosiermama-2 member
    edited September 2018
    @kadeephd I had three readings that were a little higher—two of them were because I tested early (one time, an hour; the other, 30ish minutes). The target for 1 hour is less than 140 and I was well under that. The third time... I think I had a snack 30-60 minutes before testing, whoops :D And it was just slightly. 

Earlier this week I had a big variation like you mentioned. I thought I'd be over, but I was in the mid 130s, which was my highest as well. Tested again (albeit 4 minutes later because getting blood out of my fingers is IMPOSSIBLE HALF THE TIME!!!), and I was just over 120. I meant to email my nurse to ask and forgot - thanks for the reminder. She said during my class that things could cause inaccuracies - what you use to clean your hands, etc. Buuut I can't remember any of the other factors other than soap. Ugh! 
  • Ugh, why is it so hard. We went to the Renaissance Festival today and planned on doing lunch there. I ended up just doing chicken strips and fries hoping it would be okay since I was doing so much walking/carrying my two year old a little bit, but unfortunately no, my number was 159 after two hours. Which fine, the majority of my numbers are fine these days and that's the highest it's been in weeks, but still, it's just so hard to go to events like that and be able to eat. I'm so ready for December to be here I can eat all the carbs!!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 I'm sorry you had a high reading.  It's great that most of your readings are good though and one high one every once in a while probably isn't too big of a deal.  I agree that it is definitely hard to plan around needing to eat certain types of food at certain times. We drove home from my parents today (about a 5 hour trip) and needed to stop for dinner.  I also don't eat meat... so finding a vegetarian low-carb/sugar meal on the road was challenging.  I didn't have too much wiggle room since I was going to be sitting in a car the next two hours and not burning any sugar off.  It turned out ok this time but I was nervous.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd yea I've had high readings before due to a car trip and no activity, even with meals that are usually okay as long as I have minimal activity. It can be hard! And you're right, one high reading isn't make or break it, but I expected it to be lower (not necessarily "okay" though) after walking the whole time, plus having to rush my toddler to a portapotty and back so he didn't miss his turn on the swing ride. I thought for sure that worked it all off!! Lol, it's just frustrating sometimes when the number is higher than expected.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• When I sent my readings in this morning, I asked my nurse about things that could cause inaccuracies—

Things that can cause an inaccurate reading would be using soap less hand sanitizer- leaving food on hands and not washing your hands- leaving water or ethol on hands then checking your sugar - squeezing your finger too many times to get a drop of blood . Also using hand cream and not washing your hands before testing your sugar

Welp. I definitely spend a lot of time trying to squeeze blood out of my fingers at half my readings, haha. The one that was 138 last week, in particular - I remember I was stressed af and getting so pissed at my fingers! 
  • @hoosiermama-2 so...they're saying to not use soap? I was told to use soap or alcohol pads, but avoid hand sanitizer. But yea, +1 here to having to really work to squeeze it out sometimes lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Soapless soap. Her writing isn't the clearest haha 
  • ...and tbh, I don't know what that means. But we have crunchy naturalish soaps all over our house, so I bought a box of alcohol wipes just to be safe! :D 
  • @hoosiermama-2 Ah I have been squeezing a lot too!  I've been reading about it online and it does seem like it could make your readings falsely high, as can not washing your hands at all or washing and leaving soap residue on your hands.  I think you are supposed to wash with soap and water and then rinse thoroughly to try to get all the soap off.  I have definitely not been following all this advice every time so I wonder how many readings I messed up.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I read on some blog that some soaps have sugar/sugar derivatives in them and that can throw off the reading. So read ingredients. Not that I know if that's true or know anything about testing blood sugar.  :D Get my testing thingy this afternoon when I meet with the diabetic educator!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @hoosiermama-2 oh gotcha, that makes more sense lol. Yea I'm too lazy to get up and wash my hands every time so I just keep little alcohol pads in my meter case.

@omnommer hope your education goes well! I know it really helped me to not be quite so stressed!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• When we tested my blood sugar with the diabetic nurse, it was only 83. It was 2 hours after lunch and I hadn’t had any carbs with lunch. I was told to have 2-3 servings of carbs with lunch and dinner each, but that is much higher than I am used to! So I just had one serving with dinner, my normal size - a half cup of sweet potato. And my blood sugar after one hour of chores/house cleaning was exactly 120 - smack dab in the middle of the range I am aiming for. I wonder what the number would have been had I had three servings.  :open_mouth:
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @CecilB93 ahh sorry for the high number. Eating out is very difficult these days for me as well. But then again, my numbers are often bad :( are you still only on only bedtime insulin?

@mamajudec2018 how are you doing?
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.

• @omnommer I wonder why they are insisting you eat more carbs.  If you feel good the way you are eating and your sugars are under control (not too high or low), why would they want you to change?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @prudence9-2 yea, still just bedtime insulin right now. If I have a high meal reading it's really based on the food itself, and it varies between all three meals. So I think I need to start changing some things, I may have to do a little less carbs/more protein and fats to offset the carbs. I think for me it's just a matter of the hormones are increasing, making it more difficult to keep numbers down sometimes, and I haven't changed anything from what I've been doing this whole time, so it's probably just time for me to adjust my meals with the hormone increase. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 same here. I eat less now and get higher numbers. I’m on 4 shots a day and we keep increasing every week. Hormones are going c r a z y ! 

• @prudence9-2 definitely!! My other issue is I'm still battling this cough, so my sleep has been complete crap the last two weeks and my fasting numbers seem to reflect it. But my MFMs office knows I've been sick and not sleeping well, so I'm hoping to kind of just hang out at my current dosage, especially since it's about half and half as far as high readings and perfectly normal readings.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @kadeephd I'm not sure, but the midwives said that these people were "old school" with their recommendations, and that since I'm usually not eating so many processed carbs, to just learn from them but continue what I need to do. The midwives will be the ones overseeing everything after the first couple weeks anyways. So I'll smile and nod and know that while the GD test proved my body doesn't like a huge amount of pure sugar at once, that my normal eating habits keep me in line. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • That is just so dang odd to me, @omnommer. Sorry you're having to deal with weird, "old school"... doctors? or whatever. 
  • omnommeromnommer member
    edited October 2018
    @hoosiermama-2 Yeah, luckily I don't have to deal with them for long. The midwives will oversee it instead of this diabetic nurse and I already have a preferred nutritionist if I have to keep a closer eye on it for some reason. She's very much in line with my style of eating. Anyways, for lunch I had a half cup of mashed sweet potatoes and about 5 oz of beef in a beef and veggie stir fry. After an hour my number was 105. So... I'm not worried. :D I think I'll just have to watch it closely when I go out to eat because typically I indulge quite a bit more when I'm out.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @CecilB93 how many units do you take at bedtime? Last I remember was 24? Remember they started me super low... so as of today I’m at 20 units at bedtime.

• @prudence9-2 I'm up to 28 units now. I figure it'll go up a couple more times at least before giving birth, but it's just hard to judge right now because being sick and not sleeping well has been affecting it some. I'm hoping to start sleeping better soon so we can get a better look at how my numbers are!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 how long did it take for you to be adjusted up to 28 units? I was started on insulin about a week ago at 7 units, just at night, and need to increase by 2 whenever my fasting numbers are above 5.2 mm/l (94 mg/dl). I’ve increased once and all it’s done is reduce my numbers throughout the day but my fasting is still above target. 

I’ve gotten  the hang of the diet and controlling my after meal numbers, but the trial and error approach used for insulin to get fasting numbers down is just frustrating!
  • CecilB93CecilB93 member
    edited October 2018
    @barristerninja I started insulin between 14 and 15 weeks (I'm 30w on Wednesday). They started me at 20 units, then bumped me to 24 after a week of still high readings, then down to 22 after I had some borderline low readings. Since then I only increase when they tell me to since I send numbers in weekly. I think I was at 22 for a good couple of months before having to increase again. They either increase me by 2 or 4 units at a time. It's definitely a trial and error sort of thing in the beginning! 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Other than the fact that my GD 1-hour test came back at 202, I really don't know why I'm testing four times a day! Hahaha. Every single score has been on the low-end of the range they want me in, except one which was too low (below 100 for the 1-hour after eating reading). I haven't changed my eating at all from how I normally eat. (For instance, regular yogurt with a little honey, walnuts, hempseed and 8 big strawberries gave me a 1-hour reading of 101 today. Sweet potato and stirfry meat/veggies gave me 104 after lunch yesterday.) My fasting numbers were 75 and 76 yesterday and today... I'm going out to eat tonight and will see if that affects me more. And later this week will try some ice cream or something right after/with dinner to see how that does. I meet with the midwife on Friday and I'm really interested to see what she says about these numbers!

Anyone else have such a HIGH GD test but then can't seem to get the results to spike on their own? 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I’m back!! Kinda, I passed my three hour test but only by one point.  I am to go back to the GD diet which I have been lax on.  They moved my growth scan up two weeks to 30 weeks and if fluid levels are high I will be considered GD again and testing will start.  

So basically I need to cut carbs and sugar and increase my walking.  I did it before, I can do it again, right?  

First meal after my appointment and struggling already.  I had left over chicken, one of my DD’s cheese stick because I was starving and heated up a protein blend of veggies, all good right?  Wrong the damn veggies had 45 carbs a serving.  I only had a few bites but still, grrrr!! I am hungry and need to go to the grocery store and read labels.  
  • @LLynde5 Hopefully your growth scan will not show high fluid levels! You know what I had last night that was super satisfying? Spaghetti squash with pasta sauce, ground beef and mozzarella cheese. With the amount of sauce and squash I had, my meal was 45g carbs, but you could adjust the sauce or the amount of squash to your needs! It was super filling too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @omnommer that is a good meal!  I like that normally!!  I think I need to call my office because she didn’t give me a carb count.  She was kinda like you have done this before no bread, pasta, potatoes or yogurt.  (that was my go to for night time snack to help keep my pill down.  However I think the sickness is under control now)
  • @omnommer It's great that your numbers are looking good.  I failed the one hour by less than you (168) and most of my readings are in range, but I've had a few high.  I do two hours after and my lowest was 72, highest 133.  I don't eat low carb though.  My highest reading was after pancakes with maple syrup ;)  I just had an appointment this morning and my dr says the numbers still look pretty good.  I am going down to just testing my fasting sugars in the morning since I had several of those in the low-mid 90s and they want me under 95.  I can't figure out what to eat at night to get a lower reading!  I try to do something healthy with a mix of protein and carbs, but so far I haven't detected a pattern.  My lowest reading came after I had ice cream as a bedtime snack so I am going to try that again lol.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd That's good to hear! It is interesting to test and see what I'm most affected by. So eating out (and having beans and fried plantains with dinner at a Puerto Rican place) will be a good trial! I hope that I'll get to test just fasting soon enough, but I bet they want me to track for awhile. How long have you been tracking for? I had to laugh that your lowest reading came back with ice cream as a bedtime snack! I had berries and a heaping spoon of PB last night and that worked well. I might need to try some Halo Top ice cream and see how that works for me too.  :D
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've only tracked for a little over a week.  I didn't actually get diagnosed with GD though.  I asked to monitor my sugars instead of do the three hour test after I failed the 1 hour.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Whoa—"no bread, pasta, potatoes or yogurt". :flushed:
    Was she for real/is total elimination the route some mamas have to go? Totally ignorant here.
    My nurse stressed moderation and balance (if you want a donut, pair it with some protein and time it right), not eliminating things.  

Whatever you have to do, you can totally do it again, like you said! :smile:
  • @hoosiermama-2 I'm the same as you, balance and timing are key. I wasn't told to totally eliminate, but some things I have had to eliminate because I can't make them work with my numbers. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @hoosiermama-2 she definitely seemed serious.  I think because we have talked about GD a lot she just assumed I remember how to do this.  I definitely don’t remember everything.  A friend of my currently with GD sent over her packet.  i will call then OB if I feel like I am struggling too much.  
  • Omg @kadeephd if I had pancakes and maple syrup my number would probably be above 300! Haha. 

• @prudence9-2 probably same here lol. It'll be weird after baby is born to (hopefully) see "normal" numbers after things that make me high right now! I'm honestly in denial that this will go away after baby is born...
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @CecilB93 I know. Me too!! Because I’m already on 4 shots a day it seems like it will never go away. But OMG, I’ll have EVERYTHING I can’t have right now!!! Pizza, pasta, pancakes, ice cream, cookies!!! Mmmmm 

• @mamajudec2018 hope you’re doing ok!