October 2018 Moms
Options

Job Interviewing While Pregnant

I tried searching to see if this was discussed before, but didn't find anything. Is anyone else currently job searching while pregnant or have any insight/tips on how to go about it?!

I currently have a job that I'm perfectly satisfied with, but have recently been contacted to interview for a job with a company that I have been interested in for a while. The position would also be the next step up in my career. I have already done 2 phone interviews and they are scheduling a in person one soon. I was planning on mentioning in the last phone interview that I was pregnant, but the call got cut short and I didn't have time to comfortably bring it up while they were rushing off the line. I think I can dress inconspicuously for the interview to make it not obvious that I am pregnant, but I'm worried on how to bring it up and still have a chance at getting the position.

Any thoughts?!

Re: Job Interviewing While Pregnant

• Options
    @krzyriver has some experience, all though not this far along.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    Good luck! Sounds like a dream job! Let us know how it goes! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @dash83 fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    Good luck! That sounds like a great opportunity for you!
  • Options
    Good luck on the interview!
  • Options
    Good luck @dash83!
  • Options
    Good luck @dash83!
  • Options
    Good luck!  This sounds like an awesome opportunity!
  • Options
    Good luck!! Keep us posted
  • Options
    @dash83 good luck with the interview! I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I have really good benefits with my current employer, so I need to at least wait until after the birth to switch jobs. 

I'm currently applying to nursing school and meeting with academic counselors myself and I ALWAYS get side eye when they see my belly, like a big life change can't be done while being pregnant. If anything, it just shows how strong of a woman you are. Kudos!!
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    @babyptobe good luck with nursing school applications and thank you for your kind words! Hoping you still find a spot, and that they can look past it. Life happens! 

I’m totally nervous about the interview, benefits are slightly better at my current place, and I have 4 years here so some good will built in for the next year. I would regret not trying though, I know that for sure. I had a colleague advise not to address the bump, but I think that honesty will serve me best in this situation, especially because my bump is huge lol. 
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    Thank you all ladies for positive vibes and encouragement, such a kind group!!  <3
  • Options
    Good luck @dash83.

@melbo444 I 100% agree. There is still a ton of bias about women in the workforce and having a family. It is still seen like women can't do both, but so many families don't have that option. It is too easy for a pregnant woman to end up jobless in some roles especially in at-will employment states. The US does not favor the working mom in any way from the moment she gets pregnant.
  • Options
    momoflogan20momoflogan20 member
    edited June 2018
    I started a job last year when I found out I was pregnant the night before, started another job this time around found out I was pregnant in training, got another job 3 months pregnant. I never told them I was pregnant in an interview but they support me 100 percent. I would go for it. You never know what you could have had if you never try. I really have bad luck with new jobs and getting pregnant.
  • Options
    I do have some experience with this. With my first pregnancy I interviewed for my dream job at 3 months and I was not showing at all. I did not disclose because I had done research about the need to and found that they could not legally ask and you did not need to disclose. At the offer I disclosed and everything changed. They could not deny me so they had to take me but they were not happy. I was told (and got) 6 weeks short term disability and was able to tack on another 2 of vacation. Well after stone-walling me for about 6 weeks after I started my boss finally told me she was "pissed" that I had not disclosed and told me it was not "ethical" even though "HR told me not talk to you about this. It really shaped my experience there and I wish that I would have just been up front with them. At least I would have known going into it that they were not family friendly and maybe I would have stayed in my current job where I was eligible for FMLA. I had a terrible ending at that job about 6 months ago ( I was there for about 3 years) and I can't help but wonder what impact my beginning had on my whole tenure there. 
    It may not be legal but it still may be in your best interest to talk to them about it. 
  • Options
    I got hired at my current job at 6 months pregnant with DD, she’s two now and I had her a month early. So I worked there like 6-8 weeks then left on an unofficial maternity leave for 6 weeks. I told them I was pregnant at the end of my interview, I had interviewed 3 other places that were clearly turned off by the idea I had a baby on the way and would need time for Dr appointments and leave. I had no Fmla where I got hired but they worked with me anyway. IMO telling them in an interview sets the mood for if I really wanted to work there. If they were going to not hire me just because I was pregnant and had Dr appointments/would be pumping for a year when I was clearly the most qualified I didn’t want to be there anyway. I now have a job that prioritizes family and it’s wonderful. 
  • Options
    This is all awesome information, thanks all!

@mygoodlucycat that's really good to know! That's what I was afraid of that people would feel like i started out on a deceptive foot if I didn't disclose!

@dash83 I'm in the exact same boat! I was just invited to a 5 hour in person interview next week. I think I'm going to plan on wearing something that doesn't make it obvious and spend enough time speaking towards my skills and mention at the end that I am expecting but am willing to work with them and be flexible on leave to make the transition work.

Luckily the company I'm interviewing with seems very family friendly. They actually offer a fully paid 4 months of maternity leave, which I'm not sure I would get off the bat, but shows that they are amendable to supporting family planning. The downside being that the job I'm applying for is specifically to run a project starting up at the beginning of the new year, so it might not work right with their project timeline. I'm excited to see how it goes and glad to know other people are going through the same thing!

• Options
    So I interviewed for my current position (same company), that requires travel to offshore oil platforms, before I found out I was pregnant. I actually found out that evening after I interviewed that I was about 5 weeks pregnant (not planned). I naturally freaked out because I didn't want to be able to not fulfill the requirements of my new role, and felt dishonest for interviewing, even though I was not planning to be pregnant. My new boss called me the next week to offer me the job, and I told her straight up that I just found out I was pregnant and it wasn't planned (because I'm an oversharer and was still in shock lol). Everything has worked out fine so far, and I'm still able to do most of the original job description pregnant. I think it's a tough call on whether to mention a pregnancy in an interview. To be honest, that's why I delayed taking a HPT because on the <1% chance I was pregnant (I'm having an IUD miracle baby :) ), I didn't want to have to interview and be dishonest or omit that info. But I still think honesty is the best policy, so I'm no help lol. 
  • Options
    zwink1zwink1 member
    I agree with the idea that honesty is likely the best policy. My theory on it is, if you tell them and it's a basis for them to not hire you, did you really want to work there anyway? They're certainly not going to tell you that's why they didn't hire because it's illegal discrimination, but any company that wouldn't hire someone who is currently pregnant is surely not family friendly. 

My experience is a little different in that I had previously worked for my boss and there was some background knowledge there on my situation. When I was approached about my current job, I was in the middle of of my IVF retrieval cycle and mentioned to the hiring manager/my ex-boss that staying in my position I held at the time was probably best given the status of things. I certainly wouldn't have been so forth coming if it was a job I had actively sought out with someone I didn't previously know, but at the end of the day they didn't care and they were willing to work with me. I made the transition and they accommodated scheduling time to do the transfer and have been super supportive of my pregnancy in general. The one downside is that my STD kicked in 2 weeks after I got pregnant, so my leave is unpaid. That's sort of balanced out by the pay bump I received when I switched jobs though, so it was still worthwhile. 
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member

I also have some experience here, though not so great (my own fault). 

I was maybe 10 weeks pregnant with DS and had a job interview come up.  I had actually applied for the job way before getting pregnant but (also a state agency!) it took so long for them to do interviews that I had almost forgot about them. 

Anyway, I went through 3 interviews and then was offered the job.  But, knowing that I had a LO on the way, there was some flexibility and benefits that I knew I needed (parking... semi-flexible schedule...  time to take off for dr appointments... all things I had at my current job).  So, instead of just being honest, I went back and forth negotiating all of these things and kind of shot myself in the foot.  I eventually told the hiring director I was pregnant, but things had already kind of fallen apart.

I totally think if I had just been honest up front, it would have made a huge difference in the outcome.

It all worked out in the end because I told my current job while I was negotiating to see if they could match the salary, and although they said no at the time, they were super accommodating with my schedule and time off, and then offered me a promotion a year later but that is just an aside.

So, moral of my story is, better to be honest for your own piece of mind.  Even so that you don't have to worry about time for dr's appointments, or knowing your maternity leave options.  You have a lot of things happening in your personal life right not, and you want to feel comfortable and reassured about all of it.

Good luck!

image        image

• Options
    Very well said @dash83! Fingers crossed all goes well and you get the offer!
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    Thank you @chopchop25 ! Practicing was very much worth the effort. I hope so too! 
  • Options
    @dash83 - Thanks for the update, and fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    @dash83 I like how you started the conversation! I have my interview tomorrow afternoon and I might be stealing some of your verbiage, thanks for that!
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    edited June 2018
    @stephpl good luck with your interview!! Please do, I really hope they give you the same positive feedback. Fingers crossed for you :) 
  • Options
    I just recently got a job part time/per diem but didn't mention anything. It's not a job that I need benefits from etc but now I'm thinking I probably should have told them.
  • Options
    @momtobx2 you aren't required to tell them. 
  • Options
    @dash83 glad your interview went well. I really liked the way you approached to subject as well. Finger crossed for good news for you!
  • Options
    @stephpl That does sound exhausting! Fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    Glad you had a good interview
  • Options
    dash83dash83 member
    @stephpl glad to hear you made it through, and I’m sure whatever you said was just fine! The way it was set up sounds tough, 30 minutes will just fly by. At least you will know something soon. Fingers crossed for you!