October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bassinets and other sleeping options

We talked about cribs, but we don't have a spotlight for all other sleeping options. We did talk about some things in other posts but we can dedicate this one.

Re: Product Spotlight: Bassinets and other sleeping options

• Options
    We registered for the guava family lotus bassinet conversion bundle and plan to keep that in our room until DD is old enough to go in her crib. 
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    We got an uppababy bassinet with our stroller so we will use that as it is rated for over night sleeping. Our plan is to transition him to his crib by 6 months. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We registered for a pack and play with bassinets on top so that's most likely what well use as long as we can

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Twins-Bassinet-Pack-n-Play-Playard-Vance/17783103
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    We used an Arms Reach co-sleeper bassinet with DD and DS. We’ll use one for this baby as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had the Halo bassinet. I loved that it could be so close (basically on top of the bed), I could see through the mesh sides, it swiveled all over so it was easy to move wherever I wanted, and the drop side made it easy to get him in and out. However, after about 2 weeks DS decided he hated it (likely reflux related). He ended up sleeping in his rock and play for months. Officially recommended, no. But it’s the only place he’d sleep so it is what it is. 

I’m crossing my fingers this next little guy won’t have the reflux issues and will use the halo longer. But if we need the rock and play, I have no issues using it again. Whatever work. 
  • Options
    We got a bassinet for $20 at a Mom2Mom sale. Z outgrew it within 3 months and then we had to buy a Pack N Play because we were on a different floor than his room and weren't ready for that. In the new house, we're all on the same floor. I'll keep #3 in our room and reuse the bassinet until he outgrows it... then he's off to his crib.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Any nice narrow bassinet options out there? We don't have much room alongside our bed.
  • Options
    I'm borrowing a halo from a friend. I'm hoping it'll fit between my bed and the wall though. If that doesn't work, we also have a rock and play we borrowed, and a wooden bassinet that DH's family has passed down.
  • Options
    For those looking for something that takes up minimal space, I would NOT suggest the halo. The bassinet part is small enough, but the base is huge. X-shaped legs (almost like an office chair). It can’t fit through a door assembled. One of the legs goes under your bed, but the other sticks out pretty far. 
  • Options
    We had a pack and play in our room with the bassinet on it- DD hated it. So she ended up in her rock and play for a few weeks until she got moved to her own crib in her room. I know what the recommendations are, but we were all SO much happier with her in her own room. She started sleeping through the night at like 8 weeks and we were able to sleep much better too (We didnt wake at every little shuffle she made. lol). It helped her room is literally next to ours (takes about 15 steps to reach her crib from our bed). I'm not sure what we'll do with this one. His room will be a little further away from us. So hopefully he'll like the pack and play better than his sister did :smile:
  • Options
    We have a mini crib that LO will sleep in next to our bed for the first few months. I know a lot of people who use the dockatot as a co-sleeper. I prefer the snuggle me organic and plan to also use that with this LO. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    tinattt23 said:
    For those looking for something that takes up minimal space, I would NOT suggest the halo. The bassinet part is small enough, but the base is huge. X-shaped legs (almost like an office chair). It can’t fit through a door assembled. One of the legs goes under your bed, but the other sticks out pretty far. 
    That's what I'm worried about. I need to measure...
  • Options
    So far we have nothing! I’m a bit worried but I’m a teacher so I’ll have all summer to shop and plan. We will most likely go with an uppababy bassinet in our room, a crib for occasional naps and to get him used to his own space, and a pack and play for the main floor or basement. We actually have a super tiny house so it seems excessive when I write it all down but we will be buying used so it hopefully won’t break the bank.
  • Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    @SweetSweetTooth Have you checked out the Chicco portable bassinet? It's one of the smaller/more narrow ones we have found! Only downside is it's a bit low, so could be uncomfortable if you've had a C-section.
  • Options
    @oklahomak thanks !just looked it up! Have you used it! A few reviews said the bottom wasn't flat. Did you find that to be the case? 
  • Options
    +1 for the arms reach cosleeper for bedtime 

We also have the uppababy bassinet bc it came with the stroller but last time around we kept that in the living room and she napped in that. For the life of me I can’t remember how we got that system to work without DD1 or the dog waking her up but we definitely did that, so I’m going to try it again. If nothing else it’s a good stable place to put him without worrying about the girls rocking him like crazy in the rnp.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    Any nice narrow bassinet options out there? We don't have much room alongside our bed.

@sweetsweettooth The graco pack 'n play lite is less than 2' wide... that is what we will use.

image        image

• Options
    lest12lest12 member

DS hated the beautiful bassinet we were gifted, of course.  He did better in the RNP but I never liked him sleeping in there for some reason.

DD slept in a PNP next to my side of the bed, it was easy and comfortable enough for me to grab her post-C-section.

This baby is going in a PNP Lite - smaller version - next to my side of the bed.

image        image

• Options
    We registered for the guava lotus travel playyard and bassinet for upstairs and we have a bugaboo stroller bassinet that's rated for sleep for downstairs 
  • Options
    Have a Halo bassinet. DS was in a pack and play for 6m. Hoping this one likes the Halo

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We already have the guava family lotus crib and bassinet that we used with DS, so we’ll be using that again for this one. It was so nice to be able to convert the bassinet to a full size travel crib once he outgrew it, so we didn’t have something that was no longer useful. 
  • Options
    @krzyriver I like buying used but with recalls and safety issues freak me out about certain items! Do you just look stuff up while you are at the sale to check recalls? 
  • Options
    We're doing a snoo, which we ended up purchasing on sale and was one of our two splurge items. It's real narrow and will fit in our tiiiiny bedroom, plus i'm hoping that all the claims that it helps with sleep are true. 

Originally wanted the halo but we have underbed storage and the legs just don't work with our bed.
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth Depending on the item I'm buying, yes I look up recall info. If I don't feel comfortable, I'd rather pay full price. And certain items I will never buy secondhand.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    We have a pack n play with a bassinet top from DS that we used. It worked great! I'm hoping this one is happy with it too. 
  • Options
    We used the Uppa Baby bassinet with the stand for DD until she was about 4.5 months then since we weren’t ready to move her to her own room yet we moved her mini crib to our room til she was about 6-7 months. We will likely do the same for this little babe! 

I remember wanting the Halo, but couldn’t get over how HUGE it was! I wish there was like a Halo mini. 
  • Options
    @rc-cola I love your cat!
  • Options
    @rc-cola - If the cat is going to claim a spot on the baby’s furniture, that is definitely an ideal location.  
  • Options
    Late to the game, but 3.0 will be sleeping in the Rock 'n Play we used for DD. It rocks on its own (for 5 hours anyway), and is fairly compact so can just sit next to our bed. I wish I'd had it for DS, I think it would have been a game changer for him (reflux) since it keeps them at a slightly inclined angle.

• Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    @SweetSweetTooth Sorry for the slow response! I'm still TTC, but the family I nanny for uses it, so I use it when I have the kids overnight. It has seemed flat to us! 
  • Options
    We have an old school cradle that baby uses until they move into their crib.  Also we have the pack n play set up downstairs for naps during the day.  This worked fine for our first.  Also our first hated the Rock n' Play with a flaming passion so I'm glad I borrowed it instead of purchasing.  I would suggest if you can borrow go for it, some kids hate swings and it's a huge waste of money.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"