November 2018 Moms
Options

Glucose test stories! Blah!

Ladies, here is a thread to share your (horror) stories!! That dreaded of all tests. Let's commiserate together!

Re: Glucose test stories! Blah!

• Options
    I had my first one today (I have been assured there will be more!). Do I hate that drink!! And worst of all they didn't even give me a choice of flavor, all they had was fruit punch. At least I didn't get nauseous this time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So being a gastric bypass patient I don't have to drink the drink. The Dr. quickly mentioned a fasting two hours after eating? Anyone have a fasting test instead of the drink? @troystory17 Did you have this test? 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    @MojieJo same. No prob for me at all. I was prepared for the worst but was totally fine with it
  • Options
    I didn't have a choice for the flavor but I got the orange drink as well. I had to go in after doing a long fast so I went first thing in the morning. 

The worst part was definitely the wait but I thought it was a little painful to be poked pretty much in the same spot so many times. On the last draw I asked them to use my other arm and the lady had difficulty getting a good poke. She said, "that's why we use the other arm." 

I gotta say, I hate having gestational diabetes. 

• Options
    My first pregnancy, I failed the one hour one and had to do the three hour one. I was sick for 2 days after!! I tried going to work after, and I was so sick and light headed I had to go home. I literally spent 2 days in bed. When I called the nurse line, she didn’t believe me and told me it wasn’t possibly from the test. If I ever fail the one hour again, I will opt to just test my blood sugar levels rather than go trough all of that again!

Oh, and I passed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I did the orange drink too. It was gross - tasted like orange Gatorade that someone added extra sugar to - but I didn’t vomit or anything. My doctor said for the screening it was fine to eat a little bit of protein like an egg or slice of bacon, but not like a bowl of cereal obviously. They do it a bit later at my new doc (28w rather than 24 at my old practice), which is fine I guess but i would also in some ways rather just get it over with! 

• Options
    It's totally not that bad, y'all. I had the fruit punch flavor and it was fine. Not my favorite, but not the worst thing I've ever had, either. I was allowed small sips of water, but nothing to eat that morning. They drew my blood and that was it. I'm sure the three hour test is worse, but the one hour is a breeze.

I get so confused why people say it's soooo sugary and they got sick from it. I had to drink half a bottle, which contained 50 grams of sugar. A 12 oz can of Dr Pepper contains 64 grams of sugar. Have you never had a soda before? A cookie?? A bowl of cereal??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 The one hour one was fine - the three hour one is more concentrated and what made me sick. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @runningyogimama I wasn't referring to your post, at all! I've heard that the three hour is worse. Luckily, I avoided it. Hopefully, I'll avoid it this time, too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't know there even was a 1hour test. I went straight to the 3hr one. The waiting sucked.

• Options
    @MojieJo Mine with DS was easy as well. I agree the wait time was the most annoying.

• Options
    @runningyogimama I failed the one hour test with DD too and had to do the three hour test--I passed it thankfully. I didn't get sick from it though; sorry to hear you got so sick! I don't remember the drink being more concentrated for the three hour test. I thought it was the same drink, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. 

@CopperBoom86 I totally agree. The drink didn't taste that bad at all and I'm not sure why people complain about it being so sweet when it's not much different than a soda. Maybe the carbonation of soda has something to do with it not tasting as sweet or something. 

I really enjoy sweets so I didn't mind the drink at all. I guess that's my FFFC. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    With DS, I felt so terrible that I went and laid down on the cool bathroom floor (f***ing gross, right?) just to get relief from the sweats and clammy feeling. My numbers didn't go over, which was great, but dropped waaaay low, so I felt like absolute ass. Sitting in that waiting room for an hour was torture.

This time around, it was easy-peasy. I didn't feel different at all. My doctor's office hasn't called to report any abnormalities, so no news is good news! I was so worried about taking it again that I was shaking. I think mine was lemon lime flavored, and I drank it in like three gulps just to get it over with.  :s
  • Options
    With DD I almost passed out due to the drink making me nauseated as well as getting pricked so many times. I don’t do well with getting my blood drawn to begin with so getting pricked that many times in a few hours span got to me. I got really dizzy and hot. I had to lay down or else I would’ve blacked out.  I did the 1 hour test a few weeks ago for this pregnancy and while I hate the taste of the drink, I didn’t have any issues, but of course it was the one hour, not the three. Fingers crossed the three hour goes more smoothly this pregnancy. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @tessiesmom26 I’m a type 2 diabetic so I’ve never had to do the glucose test.
  • Options
    Ugh! I failed! Oh to the 3 hour test. I had to be no higher than 139 and I was 152. The same thing happened to me with my DD. I HATE doing the 3 hour because of how many times they have to stick me and I am so hard to get blood from.
  • Options
    @bfpafter4years did I miss this - did you ever find out why you have to have it so early? 

• Options
    It's interesting how every doctor is so different. I have a history of gestational diabetes and my doc isn't having me take the test until 24 weeks (vs 28 if I didn't have the history). She said that doing it much before that is more indicative of a patient having diabetes or pre-diabetes. I tried to research that, but didn't come up with much. Sorry you have to take the 3 hour @bfpafter4years. I did not have a great experience with it with DS.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    First of all, I think the drink is DELICIOUS! The one hour test is a breeze.

The three hour test, however, can be brutal. I got so sick during my 3hr when I was pregnant with DS2. Couldn't even keep water down and my blood sugar crashed badly. Later on in that pregnancy (37w), they wanted me to repeat the test. I refused and was treated as a gestational diabetic instead. Fine, I would rather give myself finger pricks 5 times a day than do the 3 hour.

I've already had to do a 3 hour test this pregnancy. I did okay through the test, but my last blood sugar reading was super low. I felt awful and exhausted the rest of the day. I know I have to repeat the one hour again in a few weeks. When I inevitably fail that, I'm not sure I'll repeat the 3hr. May just opt to be treated as a GD again. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lifesabeach85 I think it is because my age (I am 38 and will be 39 in August) and I am considered high risk because of my hypertension. I was told if I pass this one test I will still have to repeat it later.
  • Options
    I had to take mine at 14 weeks because my mother had it with her last pregnancy. I failed, and have to do the 3 hour one. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time between work needs and having family in town so I have to make time to do it this week or next.