1st Trimester
Options

6w4d ultrasound help

So last week I had an ultrasound at 5w4d, 2 sacs were seen but one was way too tiny to be diagnosed with twins.. my levels were 3617 this day. Well today I went for a repeat ultrasound and both sacs grew, the smallest one still completely empty and the second was a 9mm gestational sac with visible yolk sac, my levels are now 6527.. my question is did anyone have a similar experience? My levels took 7 days to nearly double, but both sacs grew and one with a yolk sac..? I have a repeat on Tuesday, but expecting the worst

Re: 6w4d ultrasound help

• Options
    What did your dr say? 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I know after a certain point HCG slows down on doubling, I don't remember at what point though. Honestly, it sounds like the one sac is developing something. I wouldn't expect the worst unless that's how your doctor felt about it. 6 weeks is still super early to see anything on ultrasound. If your doctor isn't worried, then you shouldn't be.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I saw the PA and she said by 6.4 we should be able to see a baby and heartbeat.. but I did some searching and with the size of my sac I’m about 5 and a half weeks and with my hcg range it’s still too early to see embryo/heartbeat.. I see the actual doctor on Tuesday so we’ll see, I’m still a little hopeful bc a yolk sac is a good sign I guess. Thanks for your input :)
  • Options
    Do you know when you ovulated? If you ovulated later than CD 14, that could explain your numbers and the ultrasound.
  • Options
    I know for a fact it had to be day 16 or later
  • Options
    So there are multiple possibilities here. I will go into them but preface by saying that I hope that you are still not as far along as they think and that everything turns out alright for you.

First, like you mentioned, you might not be as far along and it might take another week-ish for there to be a heartbeat(s).

Second, along with the above, you might have a vanishing twin on its way, which means that you might eventually have one heartbeat and either pass or your body absorb the 2nd, smaller sac.

Third, you might simply have a blighted ovum, which means that a fertilized egg fails to develop into an embryo. Given that there is a yolk sac, I think that this is the more unlikely possibility but you will need to follow up with your doctor to really know.

It could also be something else that I just don't know about. I hope the weekend goes by fast for you and that you get some clear answers on Tuesday
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Agreeing with PPs, at some ppint doubling slows, so try not to worry too much about that.  It's just one number than has so many variables at play!  And FX for your next scan!  Sadly, I do think it is fairly common to end up with just one baby, even after seeing two in an early scan.  Let's hope you have a little fighter in there!!! (((Hugs)))
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it! I’m definitely still hopeful, I will keep everyone updated!!
  • Options
    Any updates?