July 2018 Moms

GTKY- what are you most looking forward to about becoming a mom/adding to your family?

share yours here! 

I grew up in a family of three and loved my sisters. I hope my boys have a similar experience. I’m excited to watch them grow and teach them how to bake, love the beach and be kind. I’m happy that when I’m old and they’ve left home I’ll have three kids to check in on/visit/spend holidays with 

Re: GTKY- what are you most looking forward to about becoming a mom/adding to your family?

• Loading the player...
  • kc1293kc1293 member
    I'm similar to @KatyF0813. This our 3rd. Most likely our last biological child. We would love to adopt one day. But I am also looking forward to not having someone inside of me. DH and I are most intrigued about how the kids' relationships will work. DS and DD1 are bffs. So it will be interesting to see how they bring DD2 into their circle. We assume she will just be the baby. Love that DS loves his little sisters and hopefully will always watch out for them. My dream that I am holding out for on DD2...blue eyes. Won't happen, but I still cling to it! (DH has dark brown eyes, but I have blue eyes - all of his dominant traits win over all of my recessive traits...sigh)
  • I dunno about your DH's parents @kc1293 but I had resigned myself to my blue eyes disappearing from the family forever because of DH's dominant traits. But I guess his mom has hazel/brown eyes, and his dad had lighter eyes as well which I didn't know and he didn't know (I had to ask mom) so he actually had a recessive to pass on which somehow DS got and got MY Blue eyes! I was stoked. DH was all like, "He must not be mine...." as a joke (but like, not super funny) for I swear the first year of DS's life.
  • kc1293kc1293 member
    @smashjam - sigh I wish. Nope. DH's entire family has dark brown eyes. My kids have a lighter brown color eye. Same for the hair. I have blonde, DH has black. Kids have brown.
  • nimmlenimmle member
    Just like @And846 I'm excited to see how we will be as parents. I'm also curious what features he will get from us as well since we are sooo different:

DH - Dark hair, dark eyes, olive complexion
    Me - Light Hair, Hazel eyes, pale complexion

Hopefully he gets DH's long lashes (swoon). My niece from his side has blonde hair and blue eyes so I know there's a recessive gene somewhere :).
  • @kc1293 - what about your husbands grandparents  My mom and dad both have brown eyes, but mine are blue because THEY each had a parent with blue eyes and both must carry a recessive gene for light eyes! 
  • Genes are so weird. I figured all of my kids would have blue eyes since both H and I have blue eyes (even though MIL always says I have brown eyes. I really don’t know what planet she lives on lol). BUT DS has brown eyes. DARK brown eyes. 
  • @hillbillywife that shouldn't even be possible! You need two recessives for those light eyes right? That's so weird, you would think light eyes all the way!
  • And846And846 member
    Another cool gene in my family is every few generations, someone has gotten different color eyes. Like, the left eye is blue and the right is brown. I’d think that would be cool if she got that! 
  • sm05-2sm05-2 member
    I’m also excited to see how DH and I will be as parents. I’m also hoping I can take parenthood as a learning opportunity to be more patient. 

Most of all I can’t wait to meet our little girl and see how her personality unfolds over the months and years....
  • millpemillpe member
    @hillbillywife I'm with @SmashJam how is that possible?? I mean my biology class probably over simplified genetics, but I was taught that wasn't possible. Someone please explain! 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @gingerbride26 @MrsMiller8588 @smashjam yeah super simplified. I didn’t think it was possible but I think I have an incomplete blue that I get from my dad because he has green/hazel eyes. My eyes are a steely-er blue with a hazely ring around the pupil. I’ll be interested to see what DS2 has! So far we got one of each!

im also interested to see what color hair he has. Both of my kids have medium brown hair that I’m guessing comes from their dad. He was blonde as a child and it’s darkened up as he’s grown. I have SUPER dark hair. I’d love it if he got my super dark hair, or blonde hair. That would be fun too, but I’m not going to hold my breath on that one
  • @gingerbride26 definitely not morbid. Crazy thing is my husband and I had almost decided against another child after we had a miscarriage in 2016. The more we thought about leaving our son an only child the more we thought about exactly what you said, seriously verbatim. 
  • @gingerbride26 So much that. All that. I grew up an only child and yes I was spoiled and I got to play whatever sport, have whatever opportunity but I also went through A LOT Of hard times all by myself and it would have helped tremendously to have a sibling, even just one...there’s also that lack of aunts and uncles factor. My husbands one sibling has been kind of a dud and...that’s all my son has. And of course taking care of my mom when she’s older will fall to just me. I have definitely joked that my desire for 3 children is a direct allergic reaction to being an only child. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • gingerbride26gingerbride26 member
    edited June 2018
    kbernal2021 I can understand that struggle.  I always feel bad stating my strong desire to have DD not be an only child, I know a lot of families that are one-and-done for many different reasons.  There are definite advantages to being an only child; I am very grateful for the advantages I had growing up, but I think it would be a lot less lonely as an adult if I had siblings or even cousins so I know I'm a bit of an extreme case.

ETA: simultaneous posts crossing lol
    @BrittG13 yes! I got to try any sport/activity i was interested in and go to Disney every year when my dad went for conferences, but by high school my parents were having me bring a friend because they didn't want to have to keep up with me.  My mom was really rough on me, and I think an ally would have helped with some of that.  Granted my dad pretty much took care of my grandparents alone despite having a brother and my mother barely talks to her brother - but both had parental baggage/issues that I don't foresee my kids having.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I can relate, plus I was raised by my mom and her family lives in Rome so we were never around them on a regular basis. I do have great memories about holidays with them though.

I actually feel like there are lots of perks to being an only child but if you are blessed with being close and getting along with your siblings then that's great! I just saw my mom struggling with one of her sisters when it was time to discuss care for my grandma and that has been a nightmare. It always gave me food for thought.

I think and hope we can have a second one if we are lucky to fall pregnant easily again and hopefully finances will be enough to maintain a good lifestyle. I know it sucks to say but I would hate having a second baby and then constantly struggle with money because it's so stressful, I don't think it would be the case but we will see how we adjust to one.

Yesterday DH said he already has a name picked out for a girl and that kind of warmed my heart <3
  • @runsomewhere if I had the time and resources I would also have 4 babies running around, lol. Now that I have a kid its easily the most fun I've ever had/ best thing I've ever done, and I want to keep that going! I never pictured myself as done at 2, and I used to say I would love to have SIX (although my vagina shrinks away at that now) but reality is resources might keep us done at 2, and that makes me sad, especially since we would be able to do whatever we wanted if we didn't have debt that WE caused, and that's been super heavy on my mind lately, as we close in on the end of what MIGHT be the last time I'm preggo. Holy run on sentence. But I'm too lazy to fix it...

I just love seeing huge families with their kiddos playing and bonding and I would love to have that! 
  • @smashjam I also kinda always wanted 4, but given our debt that we got ourselves into, it probably won't happen. I figure we will dig ourselves out of this hole in about 2-3 years and then reassess. By then I'll be 33ish so it won't be too late to add at least 1 more. But kids are such money suckers, and the whole working mom thing with just one kid is so exhausting, I don't know if I can do 3-4. We'll see how 2 is I guess. I am one of 4 siblings and really like being from a big family, even if we do have lots of family drama. 
  • SmashJam said:
     that's been super heavy on my mind lately, as we close in on the end of what MIGHT be the last time I'm preggo. 

I just love seeing huge families with their kiddos playing and bonding and I would love to have that! 
    This is SO me! While I definitely have moments of panic about what the heck have we done life with just DD is easy! I often ask myself if this is really it for me pregnancy wise. I think realistically it might be my last but I can't shut the door on the tiny chance just yet. 

I feel the same way about big families  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Chiming in late:

This is my third (and final) baby. I am sad for DS to not be the baby anymore, but I am thrilled at having a little trio of kids who can band together. The dynamic of 3 siblings is kind of cool, imo. And while I have always worried about the middle kid (being forgotten) my DS will have the advantage of being the only boy. The girls can do girl things together and DS will get his own special attention by default.

Re: eye color and other traits--
    DH and I both have brown eyes, but my entire paternal family has bright blue eyes and MIL and both SILs have hazel eyes. I was platinum blonde until I turned 8 and then my hair shifted to brown. DH has super dark brown hair. That said, DD has hazel eyes and medium blonde hair. DS has BLUE eyes and light blonde hair.
    Personality wise, both kids are totally different so I am looking forward to seeing what #3 will look and be like. It's going to be crazy and fun.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!