October 2018 Moms
Options

Advice for First Time Moms (June)

This thread is specifically for advice for First Time Moms (FTMs). Pearls of Wisdom, baby shower tips, nesting stories, what you did or didn’t do that was fantastic that you want to share with other Moms (especially FTMs).

Re: Advice for First Time Moms (June)

• Options
    I have a question for you guys - infant car seats. Anyone skip them and go straight to convertible? We're thinking about doing that (trying to keep everything minimalist), and the few moms I've talked to in real life all said they wouldn't have missed the infant seat for reasons like it being too awkward to really carry around, not wanting to leave baby in the car seat sleeping (not safe), etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
  • Options
    I'm all about the infant car seat. So much less hassle to let baby sleep and go about your errands.
  • Options
    Yeah I’m a STM and I am definitely using an infant seat this time too.
  • Options
    Random question...what’s the best lotion/cream or whatever to use for discomfort of the growing belly?? 
  • Options
    I've been using Burts Bee's.
  • Options
    I loved our infant car seat for all the reasons everyone said. It would have been a PITA to have to wake the baby every time we got out of the car and she had fallen asleep. Also super helpful shopping and eating out! It’s helpful ours snapped into our stroller super easy too. @mamat2be I used Spoiled Mama with my first and am using it again this pregnancy. It’s a bit expensive and I’ll never know if it actually worked or how much, but it makes my belly super soft and has been the only belly butter that keeps my belly/love handles/butt moisturized all day!!
  • Options
    @Sailing_Mama another great thing about the infant carrier is that you can just have one seat and have two bases until the baby outgrows it. We love it for daycare use. My husband drops off, leaves the seat there then I pick up and we just have one seat for the baby. We’ve used our bucket for both kids and will use it for the third. 
  • Options
    ^^^ forgot about that part! Yep, for daycare we split drop off and pickup and only needed one car seat and just two bases.
  • Options
    I've been using burts bees baby lotion, I like it, DH thinks it smells like a port a potty though which is weird but it works for me!
  • Options
    Anyone know if it is recommended to use the infant seats without the base. DH doesn’t think that we need a second base for the second vehicle. Doesn’t think he will be carting the baby around as much as me and feels if needed he can just strap the seat in without the base. 
  • Options
    I believe the base is required. They aren’t that expensive and you can probably find one used on a Facebook yardsale site. 
  • Options
    I don't think the bases are required.... but highly highly recommended. I think the option of no base is for that one off situation, not actual use. Also hassle. Using it without the base means you actually install the car seat EVERY TIME he drives the baby anywhere. If he's doing it correctly that will take time. Clicking the seat into something already installed safely is a better bet. 
  • Options
    FTM...I'm getting the uppababy mesa, and the base is not required, but we will be getting 2 bases, even though my car will be doing the driving 90% of the time. You just never know when DH may need to take the baby somewhere (say...while you are having a nice spa day to yourself?  :D) or we may end up taking his car on trips and it would be easier not to deal with strapping in a carseat, especially if baby is sleeping. The 2nd base is only another $100-$150 or something like that, and it's worth it for convenience for me, I think. 
  • Options
    @jandmnumber1 I can’t speak for all car seats, but we had the Grace Click Connect and a base is not required. There are directions for a seatbelt installation. I had no idea, but my bff is a social worker and told me about it. I really don’t think the second base is necessary and I wish we had saved money there. I would check your manual.

• Options
    Our Graco could be installed without the base, though we never did. It looked complicated. Possible, yes. I’m sure it’s stull safe as long as it’s done correctly. Just more room for error.
  • Options
    @jandmnumber1 our Graco click connect can be used without a base. It’s not too complicated but I’m not comfortable with doing it. My in laws did it last weekend to take E back to their house from a restaurant, but if someone is going to be driving the kids more than a few miles or more consistently, then I want them to have a base. My parents have one since they will sometimes take the kids places. The bases are pretty cheap (under $50 for the Graco ones) and definitely worth my piece of mind. 
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    edited June 2018
    @jandmnumber1 not sure if it would work for you guys, but my sister and bil only had 1 base and on the rare occasion the baby was in the other car, they just switched the base for the day.

Installation sounds intimidating but I don't think it's a huge deal to move a base every now and then.

image        image

• Options
    Agreed with @lest12: although it was rare that DS was in another car other than the minivan, moving the base to another car was no big deal at all. 
  • Options
    Yay for being a 1-car family!
  • Options
    Maybe I’m missing something, but I wanna say to install the infant without a base you just put the seat belt through slots in the carrier and pulled the seat belt tight until it was locked in place without movement.

• Options
    Dont worry if your if your child doesn't meet the milestones at the time everyone says they should. My son was a little behind by like 2 weeks with sitting and rolled a month late. We were so worried for no reason. He just turned 8 months and we thought he would never try and crawl but he is just now starting to try. He goes from sitting on to his front and tries to move now. The only thing I would worry if there is something significantly off. My son didnt look at us in the eye or smile till after 4 months. He finally started looking with 1 eye and had a bad lazy eye that never was in line with the left eye. I knew something was wrong and hes legally blind in his right eye from ONH. If you are concerned just talk to your doctor. Most of the time babies are a little early or a little late. 
  • Options
    Yes, milestones have a huge range of “normal”. And just because they hit one early/late doesn’t mean anything for others. DS was crawling all over by 6 months. Everyone was sure he’d be an early walker. Nah. He walked around 13 months. Totally “average”. And usually, there’s not a whole lot you can do to force them into learning something. Most just need their own time to figure it out. 
  • Options
    Bases are definitely not required for at least the majority of infant bucket seats. We didn't get a base for DHs car because he rarely needed to take DS in his car. It's definitely not as easy to install without the base (we needed to use a rolled up towel I believe) but definitely doable. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    As as far as car seats, the infant one is super convenient until they’re about 4-6 months old. Since they sleep so much, you don’t have to worry about waking them when you take them to the store or anything. I wouldn’t purchase a seat or base used at ALL because you don’t know the history. 

Re: milestones. I agree that you shouldn’t compare your kid to others or stress too much if they’re on the late end of normal, but if your gut is telling you something is off then speak up. Early childhood intervention is SO important and makes a world of difference in helping your child succeed if there’s a delay. DD was in ECI for her communication for about 8 months and DS has been since right after his 1st birthday for delays in multiple areas of development, and will be graduating from ECI and moving into the school district on October 28th. Because of the wonderful therapists he’s been working with he’s made leaps and bounds in improving his delays, and we’ve found out he has Sensory Processing Disorder and is possibly on the spectrum. This is all because I brought up a concern at his 1 year checkup and his pediatrician said it might possibly be an issue and immediately made a referral to ECI. Just listen to your gut and advocate for your child. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    KFrob said:
    @jomama1618 Reminded me, get the Wonder Weeks app!  Its explains leaps and will predict when your LO will go through a fussy phase and what development they are going through at that time.  Its helps you realize that your child is not possessed and things will return to normal and to be patient and understanding as they learn and grown.  

@kfrob - yes!  This app was super helpful. 

image        image

• Options
    +1 to Wonder Weeks App! That thing was scary accurate!
  • Options
    jynjer4jynjer4 member
    edited June 2018
    Ok so is it Wonder Weeks or The Wonder Weeks?  One is free and one isn’t 
    ETA I lied. One is $2.99 and one is $.99
  • Options
    Forgive me (or tell me to search) if this has been asked before...

When is the best time to take a childbirth prep class?  My hospital offers a 4 weeks course that starts Aug 20th, and ends September 10th. The next course would start September 17th and end on October 15th (my due date). I'm assuming the August course is the better option here, since there's a good chance I'd miss part of the September class? (I was 2.5 weeks early as my mom's first, so I'm preparing for an early arrival as well)

Or is August too late, and I should start in July instead? The class goes over "late pregnancy", labor progression, pain coping mechanisms, a tour, etc...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @jemmerjams - I’m taking the course offered by my hospital.  They recommend taking it 6-8 weeks in advance.  (I believe for the multi week versions, they suggest having it completed 6-8 weeks in advance.)
  • Options
    @jemmerjams I’d pick the August one. I wouldn’t want to risk going into labor before the class was over. In general, I’d want to be done with classes by 36ish weeks. Just in case.