November 2018 Moms
Options

Rh- blood type

I found out today that my blood type is 0- and rh-. What's everyone's experience with this blood type while being pregnant and not being pregnant? 

Re: Rh- blood type

• Options
    I am A- and didnt have any problems during my first pregnancy. Had to get the Rhogam shot at my 28 week appointment and again after giving birth, but nothing else of significance ever came up. DS is O+ like his daddy and half sister so will be getting the shots this time around as well. The shot simply prevents the rh- mom from making antibodies that could see the cells of an rh+ baby as foreign or dangerous to her.
  • Options
    I’m pregnant with my first and recently found out I’m A negative, and was told I would need to get the rhogam shot at 28 weeks. However my husband is also A negative, so I’m going to check with my midwife to see if they still recommend it. I was reading online that there are some risks involved with the shot so I’m a little hesitant to get it. Definitely going to talk to my midwife and get her opinion on it though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm A negative and Rh- and my husband is A positive. We didn't test for DS blood type was until he was born. My midwife gave me the option of one shot of Rhogam, two shots, or none at all. I chose to not have the shot at 28 weeks because I didn't like the sound of it being a blood product. I really don't like to get any injections/vacs while I'm pregnant. After my son was born they tested his blood and he was positive like his daddy, so I got the shot after the results came back! Had no trouble getting pregnant with these twins, so either they are both negative like me or the shot after birth worked well enough. :) Not sure what they will let me do Rhogam wise in this pregnancy since I have to be in a hospital this time around. I didn't notice any problems in pregnancy due to being Rh-, that's more something you would notice with subsequent pregnancies if the antibodies attack the baby as @msb11182018 said.

@pinkdaisy823 I might be wrong, but I think if you and your husband are both A negative, it shouldn't be an issue? When my husband was getting his blood type checked I was hoping he would be negative to avoid the Rh- issue altogether. Definitely ask your midwife!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm O neg. It's no big deal. You'll get a shot in the OB's office in late-ish pregnancy and then a shot after the baby's born.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's really nbd. You'll get rhogam at 28 weeks and after birth (I also got it early in my first pregnancy due to bleeding)

• Options
    Totally managable.  Rhogam at 28 weeks and, if needed, after birth keeps your body from generating antibodies to the RH factor that your baby or future babies may have and is perfectly safe.  The biggest thing I've heard from friends is it isn't the most fun shot to get but it was more than worth it.