September 2018 Moms
Options

Okay to have soft, pasteurized cheese?

First-time mom here: I would love to have a mould-ripened (pasteurized, non-imported) cheese. Okay/not okay? I would wait and call my doctor's office tomorrow, but if I'd be so happy to have a more definitive answer today. :) Thanks all!

Re: Okay to have soft, pasteurized cheese?

• Options
    klj0228klj0228 member
    @mss_baby welcome to the board. you should be able to eat the cheese since it’s pasteurized. Just for future reference you can always post questions like these in the questions and/or randoms board. This group of ladies can be a fantastic resource! 
  • Options
    Thanks! I will check those out. Looking forward to learning more from this community. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB ok's soft cheeses as long as they're pasteurized. I've been enjoying salads with gorgonzola on them for lunch all week.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    Unpasteurized cheese is not recommended during pregnancy because of the risk of Listeria bacteria that can cause an illness called Listeriosis. It makes a person very sick, but can be cured easily with antibiotics. Pregnant women should be extra cautious because it's a bacteria that can cross the placenta and have the potential for miscarriage or early labor. 

Listeria
     is killed by pasteurization and cooking. There is a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging Listeria is most commonly found in raw and processed foods: 
    • Ready-to-eat deli meats and hot dogs
    • Refrigerated pâtés or meat spreads
    • Unpasteurized (raw) milk and dairy products
    • Soft cheese made with unpasteurized milk, such as queso fresco, Feta, Brie, Camembert
    • Refrigerated smoked seafood
    • Raw sprouts
    Some sources say that even pasteurized soft cheeses can contain a risk if they were contaminated during the making/packaging after pasteurizing process, but the CDC does not see that as a very high risk at all, and doesn't recommend avoiding pasteurized soft cheeses. 

Here's a good link from the CDC:
    https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/prevention.html 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    @adirat I read something a while back that was saying in France they shame pregnant women who eat salads that same way we do towards pregnant women drinking in America. No idea if it’s actually true, but considering all the leafy green outbreaks I could see it making sense.  Not that anyone should be shamed for eating anything. 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @nackie I know that's true in Italy...my in-laws are Italian, and in Italy the advice is to eat lots of cold cuts (because cured pork is high in iron, which you need during pregnancy) and avoid salad.

• Options
    stothistothi member
    I just eat whatever this pregnancy, but I would definitely eat a pasteurized cheese.

Also, I can't see this thread without thinking this:
    https://goo.gl/images/jbkWcd