April 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding/Pumping Check-In

Hey milking mamas!

How is breastfeeding/pumping going?

If pumping, how many ounces are you producing at a time?

How often are you feeding?

Any issues you are experiencing?

Any tips?

Re: Breastfeeding/Pumping Check-In

• btm013btm013 member
    How is breastfeeding/pumping going?
    It's going shockingly well. It was never my intent to exclusively nurse but here I am doing it.

If pumping, how many ounces are you producing at a time? What pump are you using?
    I only use my electric pump in the morning and depending on the last time she fed I can get anywhere between 6-10oz. I am using the Spectra S2 and love it!!! It's so much better than the Medala pump in style. I am also in love with my Haakaa and use it at every feed and can catch a couple ounces at a time! I have close to 250 oz stored in the freezer already because of that thing. I highly recommend it!

My DD came out of the womb sleeping 4/4.5hr clips which is a completely different experience than with my first. During the day she likes to go about 3-4 hrs. At night she likes to cluster feed and when I feel like she's still hungry or the taps are dry, I hand her off to my husband to top her off with pumped milk. She'll take anywhere between 4-6oz then and sleep anywhere between 4-7.5hrs/ I know, i have the mythical baby!!

At night she's cluster feeding and I'm honestly concerned I'm not producing enough for her - which is why we top off with the milk. Also, several times last week in the evening she would be so fussy and hysterical when I put her to breast. Like she was overly hungry and just didn't want to work for it. I felt terrible and didn't want to force it so I gave her pumped milk. She seemed so happy and content after that I contemplated just switching to pumping full time. But then I'll offer her my breast and all will be well. She's so fickle.
    It should also be noted, I use a nipple shield. I have flat nipples and had terribly sore/cracked nips after delivery. I went to see a lactation consultant to see about getting her off of it but my let down is so forceful she chokes even with it on. The LC said as long as she's gaining weight and I have had zero issues with milk production then to keep using it if I want to. TO be honest,I love it! I am not one of those moms who love nursing. Truth talk (and please no judging) but it creeps me out! I like having that barrier between us.

Any tips?
    The Haakaa!! I'm so happy I have it!
  • Hey @btm013 we were in the same bmb last time too. 
    How is feeding going? I ep with my daughter so it was different this time because he actually latches. On maternity leave I had him bf during the day and gave expressed milk at night. It was definitely different because about the first 5 weeks it really hurt.  
    Pumping: if he hasn't eaten 10-12 and during the day I pumped twice to relieve engorgement and get 7 or 8. The freezer stash has about 900 oz. 
    How often am I feeding: at night every 2-3 hours. And during the day maybe 3 hours a few times a day. He takes more of his milk at bedtime than his awake time. But little boy likes to eat, over 30 oz and gained 3 lbs the 1st month.  
    Issues: he doesn't like it if my boobs aren't full and if they had been emptied it's best to wait 90 minutes or my nipples will be super sore. 
    Tips: drink lots of water 
  • Loading the player...
  • How is breastfeeding/pumping going? 

- Well, she’s growing and I’ve been able to store some pumped milk in the freezer for future use, so pretty good in that regard. 

If pumping, how many ounces are you producing at a time?

- I pump 1-2 times a day with an electric pump (Spectra). The most I usually get is 4-5 oz.

- Sigh. Every 2 hours during the day AND night, and she’s 2.5 months old. I feel like I’m losing my mind because of the sleep deprivation, to be honest. I was so happy and felt so rested when she slept several bouts of 3-4 hours every night for a week. Then she suddenly went back to her old ways and is now feeding every 1.5-2 hours at night. Sometimes she’ll wake up, feed and then stay awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night. I’ve tried swaddling and then just holding her until she falls asleep again, but she’s inconsolable if I don’t give her the boob (although she’s not hungry anymore). 

And because I’ve also become her pacifier (she won’t take any of the pacifiers we’ve offered her), my husband can’t do the night feedings. He also can’t put her to bed at night because she doesn’t fall asleep with the bottle. She’ll just scream and scream and scream after feeding no matter what he does.

- See above. I’d honestly like to move away from EBF once she reaches 3 months because I’m so tired all the time and it’s not getting any better. I can’t sleep during the day either because she doesn’t sleep unless we’re in a moving car or I’m pushing the stroller. Thanks to the pumping, I have quite a storage of pumped milk, so she’d still get some breast milk daily for a while.

The problem is that my husband is adamant that she be EBF until 6 months. He knows my thoughts on this but doesn’t understand, he’s even insisting that I don’t start her on solids at 4 months unless it’s necessary for her growth. I’d at least like to try and see if she’d feed less often with solids once she’s old enough for them. 

Not sure how much of me will be left by the time she’s 6 months. I thought babies were supposed to feed less often as they age?  

Any tips? 

- I don’t feel qualified giving advice to anyone, but if I end up having another baby, I’ll introduce the pacifier in the hospital. 
    Me & DH: 28
    EDD #1: 4/2018