October 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Registry Items for Mom

I often hear "don't forget yourself" when talking about the registry. However, I have no idea what to add for myself (other than a nursing pillow).

What items are great to register for?
What does mom need to make sure she has on hand for those first few weeks?
What did you find you DID NOT need?

Re: Product Spotlight: Registry Items for Mom

• Options
    I'm not adding anything for myself basically for the same reasons @knottieamusements cited.
    I have read some good etiquette debates on it (maybe we'll need the popcorn for this one!) and I also just feel funny asking for things like nipple cream or a second breast pump. That's invading my personal space too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    Besides nipple cream and breast pads, there is nothing I need to register for, and not sure I would Want to put them in a registry. :/ 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FTM as well but my family and friends suggest nipple cream!! Maybe a bit personal but my incredibly open family is all about sharing info and helping you out so it's going on my registry. Nursing scarves/covers can be a for you and baby item, nursing pads, milk bags if you're going to pump, I'm still slowly making the registry so I'll keep you posted if I think of anything else!!
    I don't feel like it's very grabby only because most everything you'll need is because you have a baby, but that's just me(:
  • Options
    That's invading my personal space too much.
    You said it better than me.  

It is one thing if a BTDT mom gives it to me as a well meaning gesture; but another thing to ask for it.  To me at last.  
  • Options
    @mammabearcj I feel like the "me" things are similar to baby needs. Yeah, a cover is for me, but it's so I can feed by baby wherever. (Because I will not be going to sit on a toilet to feed my child) I don't know if I'll register for pads, or pumping supplies mainly because I don't know how that will go. 

I've seen things like nursing tanks listed to add, but I feel weird asking for clothes for me.
  • Options
    I think it's fine to register for nursing items. Last time I bought it all myself, but I can list off everything that ended up being necessary for me: Nipple butter (I did Earth Mama because you don't have to wipe it off before you nurse), disposable pads (I leaked too much for reusable ones), breast milk bags, gel inserts (these were amazing on those sore nips). I borrowed a Boppy Pillow and didn't find it helpful. I am way too cheap to buy nursing clothes. I do think it would have been nice to have a little manual pump in the beginning. Insurance covered an electric pump, but It was really a pain to get the entire pump set up just to ease some of the engorgement between feedings. I also want to look into one of those 

Has anyone used those milk saver inserts? I was thinking about trying them this time since I leak so much. 
  • Options
    I didn't really register for anything for me. I bought my own diaper bag both times because even that felt gift grabby, like @knottieamusements mentioned. Plus motherhood is trial and error, you'll find you may like lanolin over nipple butter, etc or a scarf over an apron cover. If someone wants to buy it and "recommend" it great but I'd feel weird registering for that. 
    Me: 30     DH:32
    Married: 12/16/12
    TTC #1: 06/15  BFP #1:07/13/15
    D&C: 08/28/15
    BFP #2: 09/26/15
    M: 06/03/16
    BFP #2: 02/12/18 
    L : 7/26/18 (SIUGR, micropreemie)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I think nursing tanks could be hit or miss because yes they are for feeding baby but what if nursing doesn't work out and you bottle feed? I don't think I'd ask for tanks or nursing bras either thinking about it now
  • Options
    I'm putting most of what I think I'll want on my registry, that way I have it all in one spot. I feel like people will buy what they want to buy me.
  • Options
    that's how I feel @arome2311. When I look at someone's registry I don't really judge what they listed. I just buy what I want. I try and "theme" my gifts (like all bath items). Someone in a FB group I'm in asked about nursery decor. I don't see why you wouldn't. Some people really like design and would rather buy you the cute decor items. My biggest thing is to vary the price points.
  • Options
    tinattt23tinattt23 member
    edited May 2018
    I didn’t register for much for me. I think another new mom got me nipple cream. Nursing pads (either washable or displosable) are a must in the beginning. I bought myself a ton of vag care items I’d heard great things about. Honestly, all I used was the witch hazel and pads. The dremablast and peri bottle from the hospital were better than anything I’d bought. And cheap boy short undies in a size up. Sent my mom out after I got home for for more nursing tanks and bigger pj pants.

I did buy myself a Pretty Pusher (I cringe at the name). It’s a dress for delivery that allows access for fetal monitor, epi, and breastfeeding. Totally not a necessity, but I liked not having to wear a hospital gown (helps my mental state). 
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I've been looking at getting a custom delivery robe so I can at least be comfortable. I've heard good things about the Pretty Pusher.

I don't know why, but the idea of witch hazel near my lady parts weirds me out. I've only ever used it once on my face. I've been told it's a great astringent. I guess I envision some burning? Although, I'm assuming it's more cooling?
  • Options
    @sammierose464 - I use witch hazel on my hemorrhoids; for me it is cooling, not burning.  
  • Options
    pajamstagramspajamstagrams member
    edited May 2018
    @arome2311 FTM here, but I agree... was definitely going to register for all that "personal" breastfeeding stuff because I want that completion discount!! I'm pretty sure no one would get me those anyway, and I have a feeling many people are going to go rogue and ignore the registry and buy cute things.

Side note, I am worried about people giving me extra-explosions-of-pink-and-bows-and-glitter-and-princess girly stuff because I'm having a girl, and it won't be on the registry. Definitely prefer something a little more toned down and less "girly" lol.

@sammierose464 my friend asked me if I wanted a nursery decor themed shower, so i agree, people want to buy cute stuff anyway, so they are going to ignore the breastfeeding stuff.

ETA: @tinattt23 I was considering getting a cute hospital gown, so I feel more like me and more at home, and less "clinical", but didn't know if that would be over the top. Also I think some of these close in the back so my ass doesn't have to hang out.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I’d never used it for anything before. Now the smell just takes me right back to those early weeks. I can’t imagine I could use it and not think bloody vagina.  :D It used the dermablast sprayed on me which was cool/numbing. Then witch hazel on the pad  
  • Options
    @tinattt23 I tried to use it once as astringent, which was after I got pregnant. I couldn't handle the smell with my super pregnancy nose.
  • Options
    @sammierose464 my hospital gives you tucks pads as part of your postpartum kit and everything you need for a padsicle. I know people who make padsicles prior to delivery so they're already frozen at home. I would never put padisicle supplies on my registry!

https://www.gentlenursery.com/organic-pregnancy/easy-diy-padsicles/
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    I took a whole box of lidocaine from the hospital.  I didn't end up using it but I'm glad we have it on hand now for cuts and burns.  
  • Options
    @knottieamusements maybe people are like me and have no shame registering for "breasty" type stuff? :D It's completely natural to need this stuff, and no one is forcing anyone to buy it. DH had to get a gift for his cousin, but he procrastinated and the only thing left was breast pump stuff....so he got a gift card instead. NBD! 

But yeah, I can see how some people would view those items as personal needs and grabby, not necessarily something for the baby, and would feel uncomfortable receiving them as a gift at a shower, for example. 
  • Options
    @KFrob omg I forgot dominos did that...
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    I went to a baby shower once where they had household items like garbage bags, paper towels, and dog food on their target registry. I'm still not entirely sure if she actually wanted it for her baby shower or if she put extra stuff on there early for her completion coupon.  I agree with previous posters that BTDT moms will likely get stuff just for the moms without it being on a registry.  
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    @bel194 that just seems weird to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @jemmerjams - I actually don’t think of breastfeeding equipment as “grabby”.   I think your comment about being uncomfortable putting “breasty” type stuff on the registry is more on-point for me.   :p
  • Options
    I put all breastfeeding items on my registry. Nipple cream, milk bags, breast pads, nursing covers, EVERYTHING. I was registered at BRU with Z and you got credit for everything that was purchased. Plus everything NOT purchased was eligible for a discount after a certain date. So I put all my BFing stuff on my mini registry for #3 too. Some people bought my nursing covers and stuff, but it was really all about the points and discounts.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @cdepperschmidt
    My sister did that for me also, it was the best! I know I have some things somewhere. I don't think it's weird for people to put nipple cream on their registry nor do I think it is gift grabby, I think it's a great $5 add on item! I just feel weird putting it on mine

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @arome2311 and @sammierose464 I'm with y'all- last time I just registered for whatever I was going to get and figured people are going to buy me what they want either way. I dont really look at peoples registries and think they are "gift grabby" and it really never crossed my mind to even think that, but I can absolutely see how others do now! Some of my mom friends wanted to get me certain things that they loved with their first or that was just helpful to them in general. I will say though- that none of the beastfeeding stuff I put on my registry was purchased- which I was TOTALLY fine with. It was there for me to buy when I was ready. I also had people ask me to register for certain things since they knew what they wanted to get me, but didnt know my style (like the diaper bag) so I went ahead and registered for it.

I'm not sure what to do this time. I wasnt planning on having much of a shower but my  mom and best friend are adamant about it. So it's fine. But like, what do I register for? We do cloth diapers, otherwise I'd have them make it a diaper party. And people keep asking me what they can get me. I guess if we end up with the opposite sex this time, I'll tell them clothes since we wont have any for a boy. But other than that, what would y'all register for, for a second baby?!
  • Options
    I've had a few FTMs ask me to look at their registry and recommend items for them. My first comment is usually
    "Hey, you forgot the nipple cream and nursing pads!" I see no issues with having breastfeeding items on a registry. I would seriously side eye and call someone out if they actually put household items on their registry!!
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    jynjer4jynjer4 member
    I’m the weird person who would much rather buy something that the mom can use. Seems like everyone always gets way more clothes, blankets, bottles etc than they need anyway. I’d rather get them something that can be used up than something that will sit around or not be used much. As a FTM I don’t have favorite products and never really know what to get so I love when nursing stuff etc is on the registry! I’ve also done gift cards for a local restaurant or for clothes for after the baby is born because it’s more mom than baby related. 
  • Options
    @jynjer91 I also love to buy useful things! My go-to is Dreft laundry detergent (or if they have a certain type of laundry detergent on their registry I get that) because I figure they'll need some to wash all of the clothes/towels/blankets they were just gifted!
    I'm in camp too personal and with DS I didn't put anything nursing on my registry but made a second (written) list of all the supplies I thought I would need. Also, gift cards are great to use on nursing items you know you want!
  • Options
    @acdc1109 I added the detergent I plan to use with cloth diapers on my list.

My registry is a random hodge-podge of things I think are cool, would be useful, or would like to have. I haven't put any clothes on it except a few specific themed onesies, but I'm sure people will buy plenty of clothes.
  • Options
    rabtaido1214rabtaido1214 member
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone taken advantage of this? Curious what the free maternity goods are and if it’s worth it and if there are any catches to it once you make the purchase on an eligible item.
  • Options
    @rabtaido1214 never saw that! Where did you find it?