July 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 5/17

Re: UO Thursday 5/17

• Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing yessssss. I have family members who are all adults and travel to Disneyworld 2 or 3 times a year, with no kids. I just don't get it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, here is mine... I think going to a 4 year college unless you are in a STEM field or law, or a few other exceptions is almost completely unnecessary and a debt trap.
  • Options
    @cseley321 As someone who has 4 year degree from a “fancy art school” I don’t agree. There’s SO many creative jobs and industries and it’s so super competitive. I can confidently say neither my husband, myself, or any of our friends who also went to art schools would have jobs without those degrees. You learn highly specialized skills, make tons of connections, and often it’s a larger more well known school, the name alone gives you more credibility. Perhaps it depends on the area and the specific career but that’s not been my experience at all. Is it impossible to “make it” of course not but too many stars have to be aligned in just the right order mixed with an awful lot of luck to even make a go. 

That said, makeup artists and hair dressers probably don’t need a 4 year degree...
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @cseley321 I kind of agree kind of don't. I loved college and unfortunately think we live in a time where employers expect a college degree and regardless of experience level, people will judge you harshly if you "just" have a high school diploma. DH has 19 years of experience in his field and can't get a state job because he doesn't have a college degree. He applied for a CIO job once and they lowballed him on salary and offered him a lower title because the board was skeptical he had the skills because of no college degree and his age (37). 

That being said, I will do everything in my power to expose my children to the hands on trade opportunities that there are so many of these days but no qualified individuals for. I think there are a lot of great jobs out there that don't require a 4 year degree, just lots of on the job training/apprenticeships, and unfortunately we track kids to the degree path still in high school unless they so very clearly hate school and aren't succeeding. That's the wrong move on the part of educators, they should be making sure the options are all known to kids. 
  • Options
    @gingerbride26 lol, oops! sorry! And it does sound like a special place for you given your experiences and probably some sweet memories. I seriously don't care if people enjoy it and go a few times a year or whatever, especially if they live close by. Some of my coworkers have annual passes and go a lot because it's fun for them. But the 60+ year old lady that works out in my class and ONLY has Disney themed clothes and ONLY goes to Disney things creeps me the f*ck out. It's like she's permanently 5 years old and I just do not understand at all!

@cseley321 I can agree with that to an extent. It isn't for everyone and some people get degrees they'll never be able to pay off. However, I think there is a lot to be learned besides just earning the degree. It's a chance to expand your mind as a whole. For a lot of people it's the one true time in their lives where they are really exposed to lots of different people from different backgrounds and I think you can learn a lot about yourself and develop some serious interpersonal interaction skills that maybe otherwise could be lacking. That said, I have a degree in cinema media production, and if I had wanted to stay on the production side of my industry I would have been fine without it and could have worked my way up and learned a lot of the technical on the job. But, I'm glad I have my degree because I transitioned from that side of my industry to the business side 13 years ago and needed a four year degree to even make that possible. Plus H and I met in university, so maybe that feeds into my bias as well. H and I had a conversation about this the other day regarding LO. While we'd like him to eventually go to university because it was an experience we valued for ourselves, if he decides to learn a trade or something else instead, as long as he'll be happy and able to support himself in the long run, we won't stand in the way.

@runsomewhere Or worse, talks on the phone while going to the bathroom. I hang up on anyone I'm talking to that does that! Gag.

• Options
    @SmashJam Yes to being aware of the trade opportunities! We'd want LO to do university, but if he decides to learn a trade instead like FIL, we'll be happy if he can support himself. And FIL with no 4 year degree but highly skilled was bringing home 6 figures back in the early 90s because so few people could do his job.
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    +1 on not understanding adults obsessed with Disney. 
    I think college is a good experience but not for everyone. I also think there are majors that are just harder to get a job in and may seem pointless. Both of my degrees are in the environmental field and they would of probably been hard to apply 10 years ago. Right now it’s a big industry and paying off. I think it really has to do with timing and how one networks to get where they want. While i do have some debt i wouldn’t trade it because of my experience. DH never went to college but has specialized in welding since 18 and can get a good (but physically demanding) job. We all make ourselves differently. 

My UO- lifted trucks or lowered cars. I don’t get it and i think it’s dumb. Such a waste of money.
  • Options
    I kind of think that my kid should just go to school in Europe and then come back with zero debt, lol. We also have great engineering/tech schools there. He can go to any EU country. Way cheaper than here and because of dual citizenship he won't have issues coming back for a master's or work. That's of course if he likes the idea. Otherwise it's either scholarship, debt, or  grandparents paying for school because I ain't paying for that!I am all for going to college without racking up debt if at all possible. I never understood the system here and how it's ok for people in their 20s to be already so deep in debt.

Also college is not for everyone and it's totally ok to not go to college and do a trade school if uni is not your jam.

• Options
    Re Disney I agree with both @noideawhatshesdoing and @gingerbride26 in that I find it odd when adults are obsessed
    witj Disney to the point of wearing tinker bell leggings, but my dad took us to Disney every year during my childhood and I had a pretty crappy messed up period of time growing up where those were some of my only happy memories. H and I went one time before we were married because my dad has a vacation house nearby and we had free tickets, but I seriously cannot wait to take the kids when they’re old enough to appreciate it. 

I dont totally agree with @cseley321 re college, but there is some validity to it. I find the education very valuable beyond the money, but let’s face it, a mechanic is prob going to make more money than a philosophy major without all that debt. My H doesn’t have a college degree but his income is significantly more than he’d make if he went back to school and got an entry level job that he needed a degree for. @runsomewhere  I was an English major too and went on to become a lawyer but I totally agree, my kids better not major in English lol. 

Re talking on the phone in the bathroom, yessss. This kills me. There’s this one girl on my floor at work who has full blown conversations on the toilet, and I’m pretty sure she just sits there catching up on her phone calls every single day. It’s disgusting. No joke,
    today I heard her telling someone that someone had passed away the night before. please, if someone in my life ever dies, do not tell me about it on the toilet in a public restroom. 
  • Options
    @wildtot haha we have two lifted vehicles. If we had a nice vehicle right now we’d lift it too but it’s not worth it and easier for the kids to get in and out. I see it like any other hobby. I wouldn’t spend $1k on a dog but lots of people do it. 
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @hillbillywife maybe your can explain if there’s another purpose for lifting other than just looks? I mean with lifting come bigger tires and worse gas mileage. Yeah i don’t get the dog their either lol but DH just had to get his pure bred German short hair and she’s expensive. If it were just me i wouldn’t of gotten her. 
  • Options
    @wildtot I cringe when I see the lowered cars, driving around the horrible pot hole streets of NYC, all I can think about is the horrible flat tires and damage they have to worry about. 

About expensive pets. Maybe an UO, but I would never spend money on a pure bred dog. Not because I don’t love dogs or think it’s worth it but because I don’t think dogs should be bred. There are sooo many dogs in shelters that need homes. It breaks my heart that those dogs get euthanized while we spend thousands on breeding and buying pure Breds. My brother spent like $1,000 on a pure bred cat which I feel the same way about. 

Another UO, with the second season of 13 reasons why coming out tomorrow, I don’t understand why people say the show “glamorizes” suicide. I see so many parents saying they won’t let their teenagers watch it. I don’t think it glamorizes it at all, I think it highlights the bullying problem we have in our schools and the role that schools and parents need to start taking in trying to change that. 

• Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    @zande2016 i agree all my previous pets we adopted from the street or shelter. DH just wanted his hunting dog. 
    I agree with 13 Reasons Why it’s a good start to showing what it can be like and the extremes it can lead to. Some people just don’t like seeing reality of it.
  • Options
    I guess my UO is that my dog was $900. DH and I both have horrible allergies, I literally break out in hives if I even touch a dog. But she's a soft coated wheaten terrier and her breed is truly hypoallergenic and non shedding (I say truly because we used to have a shih tzu and he bothered my allergies too, not to the point of hives but I had some difficulty breathing if I was near him for too long)

That being said though I make sure to donate to local animal shelters and animal sanctuaries as often as possible 
  • Options
    I loved 13 Reasons Why and cannot wait and there is nothing glamorous about anything portrayed in the show. I’ve heard that criticism too but I wonder if the people saying that have actually seen it? 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I watched 13 reasons why and I tend to agree that it glamourized it to an extent. I was hesitant to watch it, because my own father took his life in 2012 and I am still raw from that. 

I think it did show how bullying can affect others, but for some reason having the Hannah character constantly taunting of things to come, placing direct blame without the mental health aspect ever being brought up, the whole premise of the show just rubbed me the wrong way. It's been so long that I can't think of specific examples.
  • Options
    @wildtot well I don’t think there’s REALLY another reason other than looks but if you’re doing aftermarket work to the vehicle you’re usually putting better products onto the car which is helpful sometimes. Some people use their lifted things for like mudding and stuff like that and those cars probably have better springs and stuff on them for all the hard work they’re doing. But it’s still just a preference. 

I agree with you and @zande2016 on the lowered cars though. It looks like they’d rub everything that sticks up on the street.  

@carsonraynee I can understand your reasoning for spending $$ on a dog. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It was the only thing I could think of right away for things people spend lots of money. I just heard of someone local spending over $100k on a horse for their daughter and that REALLY Boggles my mind. lol 

13 reasons why- maybe saying it’s “glamorization” is a way people who are uncomfortable with the portrayal of teenaged suicide are expressing their uncomfortableness. And I’m sure there are a lot of people like @cseley321 who have dealt with suicide that it really rubs the wrong way. I don’t think anyone wants to think about someone they know hurting them self like that. 
  • Options
    @carsonraynee I also have allergies...but we have a mini poodle I got for free from Craigslist! Haha

I agree to a point about college...if u go, do it for the right reasons. But, since I work at one, send all the students! My biggest annoyance tho is more about how parents continue to helicopter their kids and call us for all kinds of reasons about their kids. We cannot acknowledge ur kid's existence, ma'm, FERPA. And i hate how many of these college students just can't find their way out of a paper bag without someone holding their hands. I think u need college to build steps towards independence, but u need to really take the opportunities to heart. And fucking use Google. 

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Options
    There are actually rescues out there for many many many breeds of purebred dogs, and plenty of hypoallergenic dogs that need homes. 

I think the uncomfortable aspect is a huge factor in the criticism of 13 reasons why. @cseley321 I can totally understand it rubbing you the wrong way when you experienced it personally, but I still think the topic is a reality unfortunately and I think the show portrays the very real issue that not enough is done in schools to deal with mental health.I also saw many school superintendents warning parents about it and I can't help but think they do not like how it shows the very real problem schools have with bullying and what can happen when a school turns a blind eye to that culture. I am biased though because I sue public schools for a living and have represented kids who were relentlessly bullied and the school did jack shit about it. 
  • Options
    gingerbride26gingerbride26 member
    edited May 2018
    @noideawhatshesdoing lol no worries - I can agree it's weird when grown adults are head to two disney garb outside of the parks.

As for college.  I agree with a lot of the posts... I don't agree you should go to 4 year college just to go to college and have the experience/"right of passage".  If my kid has no idea what he/she wants to do I'll support a gap year while working full time.  If he/she wants to go into trade like many of my ILs, I'll celebrate that too.  As a hiring manager, I do agree that for many office jobs (STEM or not) if you want to be able to progress up you need a degree.  I don't necessarily agree that at a point experience doesn't equal/surpass some degrees, but right now when it's still an employers market if you can't check the box your resume won't even get to the hiring manager. For some management positions they even want to see a master's degree.  There are also so many ways to pay for college that go overlooked.  Yes student debt is a problem, but ignorance of the options is the real problem IMO. There are 1000s of small scholarships for everything from red hair to speaking klingong that just require an essay; you can prepare 5 core essays and apply to a ton fairly easily with a little google work.  You can work for the college full time and get tuition remission. You can be an RA and get free room & board. You can join the military/ROTC.  We're not teaching high school kids fiscal responsibility, cause/effect, and decision making - they're going to schools they want to because it's what they want right now without thinking about the ramifications or total cost.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @zande2016 I'm not saying that people should bury their head in the sand, but I feel like the show did a poor representation. I felt like it sent the message (dumbed down of course) "if you are bullied or abused in school, if you kill yourself everyone will finally notice you and hopefully rethink their ways."

I just don't want anyone to feel as if they would get justice for the wrongdoings of others if they kill themselves in order to bring attention to their pain. The truth is, everyone who is not close to that person just goes on abput their lives and it's the family and close friends that are left to suffer and will never understand why 
  • Options
    @cseley321 I watched the first episode of the new season last night and it definitely portrayed the pain it left behind for the mom and boy friend. I hear what you’re saying about the justice thing. To me it didn’t feel like she got justice, but I can see some (maybe particularly teenagers) taking it that way. 
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    I’ve watched that last the first 4 episodes and i just want to yell at those kids to spit it out!!! So far it’s ok. Doing a good job showing internal personal struggles with speaking up on the truth while there are other shutting it down or misreading nd twists stories.