December 2018 Moms

What are you NOT doing now that you're pregnant?

Is there anything you are avoiding or putting off as a result of being pregnant?  I feel like I was more on the ball with my first, and this can help serve as a little reminder or food for thought for us all!  
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What are you NOT doing now that you're pregnant?

• @tunnel you mean like kegels and squats to get myself ready for labor? Or like not going to the indoor trampoline park?
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Ha, I'm probably going to put off training for another marathon this year, things like that? 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • asun123asun123 member
    I stopped exercising and having sex since I found out I was pregnant. I'm super scared of MC again so I am just not doing anything. I plan to start back up soon. I'm just a nervous wreck right now.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I’m in the no drinking club now. On a more serious note, I’m torn about getting a “real” job now. I’ve been doing random odd jobs, outdoor/contract type gigs. Now I’m thinking it’s time to buckle down and get more regular work, but I’m so worried about doing that and then not making enough to cover childcare, or finding a job I really like, then not getting my position back post maternity leave. That’s the big decision I’ve been putting off.
  • Yeah, in all seriousness, I don't drink or eat sushi/lunchmeat/apparently hummus while pregnant. Just not worth the risk to me. I don't have a problem with soft cheeses because raw cheese is illegal in our state anyway. 

I've been avoiding running when it's dark, because I'm clumsy and prone to falling. I would also not run if it were icy, because ice is slippery. 

I don't get the good medications. Miss you, ibuprofen. 

Drawing a blank on anything else atm. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    Drinking what-I-consider-adequate-but-apparently-other-people-consider-excessive amounts of coffee.
    Job hunting.
    Riding a bicycle (not that I'd be doing it regardless, but now that I shouldn't, I want to).
    Dealing with the lead paint in our living room myself.
    Drinking more than a sip of wine.
    Sleeping through the night.
  • @runrinserepeat :o I’m literally eating a sandwich with hummus on it right now. That I just made... *googling what’s up with hummus* 
  • @tumbleweed-1 apparently a few years ago there were a bunch of listeria outbreaks in packaged hummus, so it's on my OB's no-go list. She's cool with homemade hummus. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @AGK2015 I’m feeling the same about my bike. I haven’t ridden it in 3 years- I don’t even have a helmet anymore. But now I’m like “awe, my bike. I wish I could ride it”. 
  • @runrinserepeat ah, bummer. Mine was premade. Well, I guess I’ll risk it for now. (I’ve already ate some). Then not buy it again. I hate wasting food and my SO doesn’t like hummus. 
  • clbnessclbness member
    edited May 2018
    @runrinserepeat I'm still a little scared to do store bought hummus too.  I got down on some from a Mediterranean restaurant last week, though, and I'm pretty sure it will be my go-to this pregnancy.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• wait, why shouldn't you ride a bicycle?
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @tumbleweed-1 I have TWO things of hummus in my fridge right now. My sister and mom both bought some while visiting, and didn't take it with. And I haven't told my mom I'm KU, so I couldn't really tell her why I wasn't going to eat it. It feels like such a waste :/
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • I'm not drinking alcohol or having unpasteurized dairy, I'm mostly avoiding lunchmeat or heating it up, skipping hummus, skipping sushi* and keeping my caffeine intake to under 200 mg (that's the hardest!) Also, no crazy hot baths, no hair dye in the first tri, no jacuzzis, no bungee jumping (lol.)

*...except for literally today when I had a SUPER strong craving for it and I caved. BUT I've been having sushi at this same place, literally weekly, for 3 years, so I really, really trust them. I probably won't have it again during pregnancy because I'm a nervous nelly/obsessive rule follower, but I did make an exception today.
  • @AGK2015 I’m feeling the same about my bike. I haven’t ridden it in 3 years- I don’t even have a helmet anymore. But now I’m like “awe, my bike. I wish I could ride it”. 
    Hold on. What? We can't ride bikes? Not that I'm about bust out my bicycle, but I'd LIKE to have the option, I wanted to get a new one and with a trailer so DD could ride in the back. 

What I'm not doing? I still drink coffee, only one cup per day though. And I stopped drinking energy drinks, which were my lifeline. But it's fine without it. 
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • It's funny, DH and I were talking and realized that (with food) I might as well be deployed to Kandahar. No booze, few processed meats, no sashimi, and eggs aren't as satisfying. :lol: 

My activity has been the same...minimal.     ***TW in spoiler***  
    Before my MC in December I was on a mission to seriously increase muscle and reduce fat, but then I stopped going to the gym (damn first tri bloat & tiredness), then I MCed and couldn't handle being around mothers (and PS, gyms on Army posts are FULL of successful procreators). So I'm not pleased about starting this one heavier than I want to be, but too lazy to do much about it. 

Luckily I don't do anything that warrants pregnancy precautions. No high impact sports, no hair dye or mani/pedis. I don't get massages or scuba dive. I always forget to take hot baths, and haven't been in the mood lately for the forbidden store-bought hummus. I have been using liquid sunscreen sparingly, but only when I'm not wearing breezy layers.

...but after reading through this I might cheat on the sushi avoidance tomorrow because I've been dreaming about it and almost can't handle how much I want some. :naughty:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • No more wine. 
    Coffee is down from 3 cups to barely half a cup. Though some of that is nausea related. Once the n/v settle down, I’ll probably go back to 1 cup, mayby 1.5 when I’m desperate. 
    No lunchmeat/sushi/unpasteurized cheese/romaine lettuce.
    Oh, umm, not making plans to travel over the Christmas holidays. 

I don’t get the no biking thing either, at least not this early. I’ve been told there’s potential balance/fall risk in third trimester, but I don’t know of anything that should stop riding 1st/2nd trimester if you ride regularly and feel comfortable with it. 
  • hkomhkom member
    I've been doing the normal stuff I guess.  Sushi even though I don't have it that often anyway, certain fish high on the food chain (swordfish, mackerel, etc.), cold lunch meat which I miss so so so much (one of my favorite things is lunch meat straight from the package - I will probably end up caving on this one), alcohol so far although I can't rule out the occasional sip or small glass of wine in the future depending on how H feels about it.  My cousin told me the other day that soft serve ice cream was on her list because of Listeria.  I had never heard that one before but that will very likely end up being ignored because I am NOT giving up milkshakes from the local dairy bar all summer.  

I've been lightly exercising (mostly long walks and yoga) but nothing crazy. It has gotten crazy hot here crazy fast,  so I'm going to have to be careful about gardening out in the heat and about work, which requires me to be outside basically hiking for several hours at a time. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• asun123asun123 member
    I need to google the hair dye thing. I dyed my hair at home last week and then remembered afterwards that I wasn't supposed to do that. But I need to dye my hair again on Friday before my trip to Vegas and forgot to ask my doctor about it yesterday at my doctor's appointment. 
    Is dying hair really THAT bad? Someone please give me facts or links to good websites. (:
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @coco2787 & @trucksntutus I think the bike issue is about if you do it regularly anyway. If you bike often before pregnancy I’m pretty sure it’s still safe to do (maybe double check, I’m not a doctor), but it’s not a thing to start doing while pregnant. Because I haven’t ridden mine in years, I’m not about to start that back up. It could also be because of the risk of falling? I’m not sure
  • @asun123 My OB just says not to dye hair in the first trimester, then she's fine with it. I think it varies from OB to OB though! 

@hkom I was *just* thinking about the soft serve ice cream/frozen yogurt thing today. Bleh. My OB doesn't have it on her list, but I have been avoiding it because my husband got food poisoning from soft serve frozen yogurt a couple years ago and was SO sick, so I've been paranoid. I think I probably will have some once in the third tri though! 
  • @asun123 From what I understand, it’s not thr dye on your hair that is the problem as much as the dye being on your scalp/absorbed through the skin. So the typical recommendation is to avoid hair dye, esoecially first trimester. Highlights or hair painting is better because it mostly doesn’t go on the scalp. I think there may be some kinds of dye that are safer for pregnancy but I haven’t explored because I do highlights and can tough it out at lest until I’m out of first trimester. 
  • @asun123 I think the hair dye thing is about not getting it on your skin, and some are safer than others (so scientific, I know. Sorry I’m not much help). I’m going to ask my MW about it at my appointment on Monday. I’m planning to have my hair dyed next week. Bleach and bright blue and all kinds of wild stuff!
    Hopefully the MW is cool with it because the appointment has already been made. I’m not doing it myself/at home anymore because I get the dye ALL over my skin. I figure a professional can avoid my roots & even blend it into the color to make it look nice. 
  • hkomhkom member

@hkom I was *just* thinking about the soft serve ice cream/frozen yogurt thing today. Bleh. My OB doesn't have it on her list, but I have been avoiding it because my husband got food poisoning from soft serve frozen yogurt a couple years ago and was SO sick, so I've been paranoid. I think I probably will have some once in the third tri though! 
    Nooooooooo  :'(  :s 

BabyFruit Ticker

• No sushi for me which is torture! The night before I found out I ate sushi though. No lunch meat, no coffee, no herbal tea, no alcohol, only Tylenol for headaches, no hot baths. I’m sure there is more...
  • @sushilove15 With a name like sushilove I bet it is really hard for you! I eat sushi at least once a week normally, so other than my brief indulgence today it's going to be a long road until the December, haha. 
  • Wait, what? Hummus? Are you about to ruin hummus for me?!?
  • coco2787 said:
    I still eat sushi, just not any raw fish.  There are lots of veggie/cooked sushi options. 
    I also only eat the veggie or cooked shellfish ones. Mostly just veggie. And half the time homemade. 
  • @maureenmce I am dying over here without sushi! I am sure I will eventually settle for some cooked variations but it’s just not the same  :'( what kind did you eat today? I will live vicariously through you  :D
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited May 2018
    @coco2787 I actually LOVE inari I think it's called? It's just bean curd and rice (sounds gross, but I swear it's good!) And, of course, avocado rolls are delicious. My favorite ones just happen to be chock full of raw fish, haha. Oh well, my faves will still exist in December! And I'll have a bunch! :)

@sushilove15 I had a salmon and avocado roll. I actually only ate like, 3 pieces with the salmon in it, cause I felt guilty and started picking it out, but the three I had were SO GOOD. It tasted even better than usual.
  • @maureenmce That’s amazing! I remember after I had my daughter I would go to this sushi place twice a week at least while I was on maternity leave! I would just pull up and they would bring it out to my car so I could just pay and go back home.  Lol I am sure that is what will happen this time too. 
  • Um. I don't think I realized we were supposed to be avoiding ibuprofen. Not that I take it very often, but still.

I don't tend to go nuts with the rules when I'm pregnant. I cut my caffeine intake to one cup of coffee and one cup of tea a day. I've given up alcohol save for a tiny weekly glass of wine to celebrate another week of progress and I take small sips of whatever H is having. I don't really eat lunchmeat, but I'm not going out of my way to avoid it either. There's not really any good sushi around me, but I've had a few grocery store rolls -- I think just with cooked shrimp and imitation crabmeat. I'm not exercising quite as hard, and have given up my GymnasticsBodies exercises, mostly because #lazy.

And like I said earlier, I'm not going to the indoor trampoline park or the water park around here, even though I desperately want to! :lol:

My first time around I found the book Expecting Better to be really helpful at calming the cray.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon I realized no fun rides either. I’ve been planning an epic kid vacation for my niece & we have a small theme park here that does a 4th of July celebration. I thought that would be fun, but I can’t go on the rides with her. Plus I signed her up for a camp the next day that starts at 8:30 am, so we will probably find something more chill for the 4th, that way we both aren’t too exhausted. 
  • I miss sushi like crazy. We’ve been eating the cooked rolls and veggie rolls, but I miss salmon sashimi the most.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • texas_ttexas_t member
    Well. I'm breaking all the rules. I eat sushi, and hummus, and soft serve, etc. I go into with the thought that you can get food poisoning from nearly anything, so as long as I'm going somewhere I'm familiar with, than I'm going to. I'm not going to eat raw sushi from a food truck, ya know? 

I do stick to under 200mg caffeine, I don't eat too much tuna because mercury, and other stuff like that.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Re: Softserve
    DH and I totally had froyo last Sunday and it was so good. I've never heard of anybody getting sick from it, but I suppose people get sick from everything given enough time & opportunities.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Re: food making people sick
    I like to think I have a strong stomach/immune system because I rarely get sick from food. The one and only place that consistently makes me sick is chipotle (but not other similar food chains or food carts/trucks). I don’t even try to eat there any more because it happens every time. Lots of other people are totally fine with chipotle though. Idk, it’s all a gamble. That’s why I’m going to finish the hummus I bought and just not buy that again.
  • I mean, I’m not booking weddings in December. Lol

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not drinking alcohol or caffeine. I am also not working out at all since I had some spotting and was told not to do anything strenuous. I am eating soft serve because it’s summer!