December 2018 Moms

Exposure to staining/polyurethane

Im freaking out a bit. We are getting ready to put our house on the market next weekend and there were a few windowsills in our home that needed to be sanded, stained and sealed as our dogs tore them up. 

I thought just chilling my in basement all day would be sufficient but the smell is in our whole house despite every single window being open. I’m currently hanging out outside, but obviously I have to go in and sleep at some point. The guys plans to put a polyurethane coat on around 4-5pm. 

What would you do? How long is this stuff dangerous? I feel like such a Mom failure right now.

Re: Exposure to staining/polyurethane

• I would get a cheap motel for the night. I don't know how long it's dangerous, but at least you're doing what you can with open windows. Recommend setting up fans to circulate the air. Sorry I can't help more, I have been able to avoid paint when pregnant :confused:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • LLynde5LLynde5 member
    I just googled it because I have been wanting to redo our hardwoods and it recommends leaving the house.  I think I am probably too late to this topic but I hope you did whatever you are comfortable with!!  IMO it talks about the amount and exposure time.  It didn’t sound like you had a lot to do and if you aren’t sleeping in that room I would think you are okay.  But I am just another mom, no expert. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had our windowsills redone recently too and it was so bad I stayed out of the house for 3 days. I tried to stay in the house that first night but started getting a headache so that was a good enough sign for me to leave. 
  • Can you stay somewhere else tonight and then speak with a nurse tomorrow? If the smell is that strong, I would not sleep there. Better safe than sorry.
  • @kchiquita20 We redid the hardwoods in my daughter’s bedroom when we first moved into our place, and the smell was horrible.

If leaving the house isn’t feasible, can you camp out in the basement or some non-stinky part of the house for a night or two? I think we had our daughter sleep on her mattress in our room for a few days, and had windows open/fans going most of those days to clear out the fumes. 
  • Following.  We're doing major renovations and soon it'll be time to refinish the hardwoods. Last time we did them we used some water-based something or other and there was barely any scent.   It was right before I was pregnant so I didn't think much about it. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40 | SO: 32

DDs: 11, 7.5 |  Due: 22-Dec

We're having another GIRL!!  <3

• @kchiquita20 ...so what did you do? Are you in a hotel for a few days?
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary