January 2018 Moms

Mastitis?

Earlier this afternoon my breast started hurting really bad. I didn’t have anything like this with my first daughter. I read the symptoms of mastitis and a blocked milk duct. So not sure which one but thinking the first. I’d love any advise on how to help with pain if anyone has any. Will be calling the doctor in Monday for sure. 

Re: Mastitis?

• Lurking 

if the breast is red, hot to the touch and/or you have a fever over 100 you need to call your obgyn immediately. You’ll need to go on antibiotics immediately if it is mastitis. It’s very very dangerous to have mastitis go untreated. With a clogged duct google tips for how to unclog it, and work that sucker out or it will only get worse. If it is mastitis you’ll probably feel flu like symptoms. I had a couple clogged ducts while breastfeeding, it hurts a lot. Luckily I never got mastitis, but I worked hard to unclog the ducts if they were clogged. I hope you don’t get mastitis. Good luck! 
  • Oh wow I didn’t know that about mastitis, thank you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you're in pain! I second going to a doctor right away if you have any mastitis symptoms! Breast pain is terrible.  I've never had mastitis, thankfully, but I had plugged ducts with my first daughter all the time in the beginning due to her latch.
     For a plugged duct, warm, moist compresses help pain. I used to take a hot shower (or soak the breast with warm water) and gently massage the breast, focusing on the area of pain and nipple. Then nurse immediately after (or pump, but baby does better job), since the pores will be open. It hurts tremendously to nurse, but it will only become more painful if you don't get it out. Rotating nursing positions can also help drain all the ducts, and applying GENTLE pressure/massage to the area of pain as your baby nurses helps to push it out. Hoping you don't have mastitis and feel better soon!  :)   
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Went to the doctor and I have mastitis. Not fun but on the mend!