January 2018 Moms
Options

When does the overwhelming feeling of love set in?

DD is 3 months now and is the perfect baby. She sleeps at least six hours at night in her crib. She isn’t loud at all when she cries. I should be happy and completely I love with this gift. But I don’t work anymore and I feel like DH doesn’t quite understand when I ask him to take her from me for a moment that I am really asking him to save her from me while I rip my hair out. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I feel like I am just babysitting and her real mom will come walking in one day and save me from having to deal with all of this. What should I do? Is this normal? Feeling crazy :(

Answers

• Options
    Lurking but I thought you should get an answer. I did not immediately fall in love, I had a very long and difficult labor and recovery and that really made it hard for me to bond with LO. I just wanted to sleep, heal and recover for the entire first year of his life. I also found out I’m not afan of the newborn phase. I really started liking ds more after he was 6 months, and a lot more after he started walking/talking. I really do much better with a more independent child, I loved it when at 4-6 months I could set him down and walk away for 5-10min. Sure I felt bad that I didn’t “fall in love right away” and i got my dh to take ds at every chance I could get but I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. It can also be a sign of ppd, I’d say I probably had some ppd for the whole first year of my lo’s life, not enough to impact my ability to function, but enough to keep me from fully enjoying ds. You might bring it up with your obgyn if it is concerning to you. Hang in there, it does get easier from here, but definitely get help if you need it. Good luck!