Chit Chat
Options

Weekly Randoms 4/23

Hello fabulous friends, what's up this week? 

*TW*
Me: 38 DH: 41
Married: 2016
BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19

Re: Weekly Randoms 4/23

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing - wow, you are awesome! I've always found making clothes to be hard. I quilt but never seem to get far with the whole idea of tailoring. :cry: I think I may need to consider trying again. care to share a swatch? Love finding coupons for fabric!!! 
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    Cleaning the grill on lunch today so that we can get cooking on it tonight. Super excited about that. Maybe have finally coordinated a good time to get with contractor for our addition! Oh and emailed a realtor last night about selling our rental property! I feel like it's going to be a good week from this point forward.
  • Options
    @catlady2015 Gotta love some good bacon! 
    @josie12367 I made a really easy spinach stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken breast last week. It was delicious and quick to pull together. 
    @lovesclimbing you will have to share your fabulous print, or your dress once you have made it! Maxi dress for the win!

AFM it is the first day that I am in sandals. It is a very, very happy day!  :)
  • Options
    @prpl11butterfly - sounds like an amazing day!! 

@nitnat007 - yay for sandals!! I need to dig out my summer clothes but definitely time for the sandals. 
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited April 2018
    Thanks @catlady2015. I am far from a pro, but I like doing it. I have a really hard time finding a maxi dress I like. The knits are all super thin, and the necklines tend to fall into low or high, with no middle option. So I'm making my own so I can have a decent quality fabric and a normal neckline!

I'll have to see if I can share pictures later. I don't usually share ones of me on forums, so we'll see, haha.
  • Options
    @josie12367 I make tacos at least once a week too, I've also been making stir fry,  I cook rice in our rice cooker and get the big bag of veggies from Costco, throw that in a pan,  sometimes with noodles,  throw some peanut sauce on it,  dice and cook up chicken, throw it all together (sauce last) and dinner is done.  
  • Options
    I wish I could wear maxi dresses. When you're 5'0" (and most of that is legs) paired with being busty I look soooo foolish in them. They're always so pretty though!
    Don't even get me started on rompers. 
  • Options
    And jumpsuits! They’re everywhere. I made the mistake of wearing one for the first time on a Vegas trip. A night of drinking and a onesie in a public bathroom is not a good combination...

I refuse to even do one piece bathing suits due to the bathroom issue.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme yes to giant body suits being the worst!
    When I started cheerleading at college level we had these uniforms that we had to wear a body suit under. The zipper was down the back. In order to pee you had to take off your top part, get someone to unzip your body suit, pull that allll the way down, along with your skirt. You're basically peeing naked. Such a pain in the ass.
    The next year they got smart and used body suits with crotch snaps. I was mighty jealous of the girls who had those! 
  • Options
    rompers and jumpsuits are absolutely terrible for me - I'm 5'8 with a fairly long torso, so... I don't know what I need to proudly display the outline of my vagina that way in public.
  • Options
    I won’t lie, I love rompers and jumpsuits. It can be tricky to find the right one since I’m busty but short but when I do it’s amazing. It’s an entire outfit that’s cute and trendy, and I can also sit cross cross on the floor with a toddler without flashing everyone. 

@josie12367 I have a yummy taco recipe made with red lentils cooked in vegetable broth then mixed with veggies and salsa. Let me know if you’d like it!
  • Options
    I don't like jumpsuits or rompers. I like maxi skirts, but I've never actually worn a maxi dress before other than trying on! They do tend to have high waists, and by high, I mean empire or at the natural waist. So you tend to pooch out under that waistline because most people who have any extra at all in their midsection have it at the belly button or below. So the nice thing about making my own is I'm adjusting the waist lower so it's not so high. The pattern is such that it won't look weird.
  • Options
    @izza2 - I can't lie I totally do it, too. always a 1-piece bathing suit here. 
    *TW*
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    Rompers are not made for tall girls... and ESPECIALLY not tall girls with boobs. Not an option.  

Designers should make sun dresses with the exact same patterns they make rompers.  I don't get it. Just don't sow the leg holes and we're good. 

Why are rompers always in cuter pattern?

I could talk about my disdain of rompers for days  

• Options
    +5680865 On hating all things one piece... just, ugh! 

@SkilledSailor I will gladly take that recipe! I added a bunch of beans and corn to our mixture last night and it was delish. 

@galactickates Oh yum! I'm definitely trying that this week. Somehow I've forgotten about stir fry

@nitnat007 The chicken sounds pretty simple... like a prep it and put it on the oven. I like those types of meals :) Good to see that your DH is home. Is it his knee that is giving him trouble? I think I remember you saying he injured it and his back before he left right? Poor guy...
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    @josie12367 It is great to have him home, but he is still hobbling around. He wrecked his ankle (it was his shoulder before), he really had a bad trip and I was starting to wonder if he was going to actually make it home in one piece at that rate. Now he is sufficiently wrapped in bubble wrap and milking it for all its worth lol. How are you doing friend? YH home with you?
  • Options
    @nitnat007 I don't know why I thought your husband fell down stairs before...oops! Well I'm sorry he's broken himself again. 

My DH is in a new position so he doesn't leave as long as before. He goes out often but only for days at a time instead of weeks or months. So we've been enjoying that...I hope yours is home for awhile. Are y'all going off on vacation somewhere to celebrate him being home (once he's healed that is)?
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    @josie12367 I’m feeling hella lazy this morning so there’s a photo of the recipe in the spoiler box. Let me know if you can’t read it and I’ll type it up! 

@nitnat007 @josie12367 Yay for your H’s being home! 
  • Options
    I gotta admit I’m loving the low cut kinda see through outfits at the minute. I just wear a black bralet under everything and it’s so comfortable but I am a member of the itty bitty titty committee 
  • Options
    I just got my Stitch Fix in the mail yesterday and 3 out of 5 of the pieces sent were crop tops. Needless to say, I was not happy. I put in my style profile that I do not wish to show off my stomach. How do I make this more clear to you, Stitch Fix? :angry:
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Let's talk about female summer clothing that's made of crepe paper. WHY IS EVERYTHING SEE-THROUGH?! I don't want to be forced to layer a tank top underneath a blouse. I want to be able to wear a light, flowy shirt that's made of a nice, soft knit fabric that actually conceals my bra and skin. Is that seriously too much to ask?

But then clothing companies wouldn't make huge profits by selling me a $50 see-through shirt and be force me to pair it with a $25 matching camisole. It's bullshit.
    Yes! This is why I'm sewing myself a maxi dress and have two knit tops in progress. I hate that type of material. It's so thin, it gets thinner with washes, and it usually pills badly. And then of course, such thin fabric clings to every lump and bump and doesn't smooth or conceal anything! 

What really annoys me is I'll see a cute woven shirt and then turn it around and the back half is knit. Umm, what? No! 

• Options
    @catlady2015 Yes, I specifically said not to send anymore crop tops for next time. The necklace they sent to me was not my style either. If my next one is as disappointing, I will request a new stylist. Thank you, I didn't know you could do that! :)
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @josie12367 We don't have anything planned right now, but we will do something in the summer when he is more mobile for sure. That is so great that YH has a new position and able to be home with you more. So over the moon for you both.  <3
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing - I need to be better about teaching myself to sew. It would be awesome if I could go pick out the fabric I like and design a shirt just for me. But I am just awful at the machine :( I can hand-sew like a champ but it would take me ages and ages to make a shirt that way. Any tips on how to get started with a machine? I have an old-fashioned Kenmore... maybe if I upgraded to something modern that would help?

But yeah, it is the WORST when I see a shirt that looks cute on the rack, feels nice in my hands, and then I turn it around and there's a great big hole in the center of the back side so I can expose my bra to the whole freaking world. Or you pull out the sleeve to look at it and see all this unnecessary bedazzling on the elbows. Or the shirt is great except for the huge plastic flower sewn deeply into the fabric near the shoulder. Why must we women endure these humiliations? I wish I could shop like a man. Go to the store and know my exact dimensions and select practical, comfortable clothes that fit well and look good.

And don't get me started on shopping for suits. What an absolute nightmare it is to be a professional female in need of a nice jacket and tailored pants. Men have it SO EASY. Entire stores dedicated to men's fashion with dozens of choices of jackets and pants that match. Me? I sob my way through Macy's trying to piece together jackets and either pants or wretched skirts to find a combination that actually matches.
  • Options
    @wishiwaspreggo, honestly, I just learned by doing. I learned the basics of quilting from my grandma and then taught myself to sew clothes by buying a pattern and just doing it. I don't love knits as they can be hard to work with, but I just do it and get better over time. It's like anything where practice makes perfect. 

I recommend finding the simple patterns. Most of the big lines (Simplicity, Mccalls) have patterns labeled simple or easy. McCall's has a whole line branded "Kwik Sew." 

I think you can learn just fine on an older machine. One of the nice things with a newer one though is it often has an adjustment where you can slow down the stitching. So no matter how far down you push the foot petal, if you have it all the way slowed down, the machine will not go faster than the absolute slowest it is physically capable of sewing. And then there are middle settings so it will go a little faster and a little faster but still not full speed. That can be super handy starting out!

If it were me and I had a machine already that worked fine and was able to buy another, I would buy a serger. I don't have one and wish I did. I've used them before, and it is so nice for finishing seams and hems. It definitely makes sewing easier.
  • Options
    @offtoneverland Hi friend!! It is good to be back, I missed you guys too. MH is adjusting. He is happy to be home, but I think he is feeling a little out of sorts with not being on ship anymore. He did so much work for this tour and planning for an upcoming mission that he is now not going to be there for. He does still feel bad that we are missing our Italy trip though (and I am not letting him forget it either lol). How are you doing?
  • Options
    Too many to tags on the topic-

At 6 foot with size F chest, rompers, maxi dresses ( hell-most dresses ) and most summer clothes are a joke. Especially shorts. No need to give me a crop top as most regular length tops are already too short. Thin material is fine, as long as it is durable. 

Anyone over 5’10”+ that has a good recommendation for dress pants in any colors EXCEPT black??  Where I used to buy them has stopped making them like they used to :( 
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I haven't had to wear dress pants in awhile, but the few I have are banana republic. Where did you used to buy them?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::