December 2018 Moms

STM Check In - W/O 4.18

We made it another week! How are you guys doing? 

1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids?

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)?

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style?

Re: STM Check In - W/O 4.18

• 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 6w2d today, my other kiddos are DD (6 yo) and DS (3 yo)

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? Not much has changed. They prefer me, so I wind up doing bedtime most nights, which is exhausting, but I kind of love. I asked DD what the perfect number of kids for a family was this weekend, and she said "Two, 1 girl and 1 boy" so we're going to be in for a shock, I think. 

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Um.... don't kill yourself and for God's sake be quiet? My kids are pretty independent, and I try not to sweat the small stuff too much.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids?
    6 weeks and 5 days! Almost 7 weeks, can't wait! My DD is 2 and 2 months.

Ugh. It's been pretty good except at bedtime DD is being INSANE. She is a very high energy kid, but you'd think that at bedtime I'd given her caffeine or something. She is jumping up and down in her crib. She is running out of the room. She is insisting on three different shirt changes and sleeping with her shoes on. She is, in a word, WILD. And this *just* started a few days ago, and I am not enjoying it because by the end of the day I'm either nauseous or can barely keep my eyes open, or both. But I'm just trying to take deep breaths and stay patient. I know it's just a little phase.

Hmm, I don't really have a philosophy that I read in a book or anything, but I'd say the thing that I always keep in the back of my mind is that the goal of parenting is to raise an independent, emotionally healthy adult. So I try to foster independence as much as possible, while letting her know I'm always here if she needs me and that she is very much loved. Oh, and I am the goofy parent. I make the dad jokes in our family. I'm the one who taught my daughter fart and burp sounds when she was a baby and it is my fault that she knows P is for Poop and F is for Fart (which I will probably get questions about from daycare soon, lol.)
  • Loading the player...
  •  How are you guys doing? - I need to do school with my kids and I just need a nap.

1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 5w 2d, Kids are 17 (adopted, I'm not that old!), 9, 6 (almost 7), 4, 1 (almost 2)

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? Okay. I am dragging a bit. 

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Crunchy granola hippie free range gentle attachment parents. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Thinking 5.5-6.5 weeks. Current DS is 2

2. Doing alright as far as symptoms, just a little nausea here and there, a little extra tired, more frequent headaches, and getting kind of moody/bitchy at times.

3. Idk...I hover, but it's more to make sure my child doesn't hit other children or take their toys. My child is a butthead sometimes. Also probably kind of a lazy parent, lol. "Oh, you want some juice? Go ask your dad."  :D 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 6 weeks, 15 months and change.

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? First trimester? What's that? Thankfully everything has been smooth sailing so far. Though I really need a nap today, because last night was mildly horrendous. A's first nap was only 38 minutes so I'm really hoping for a longer one this afternoon.

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Firm and loving, although I do need more practice on the firm part. I'm also trying to raise A (and this next one) to be fairly independent and self-sufficient. And of course emotionally healthy!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 
    5w5d, about 14 months

Pretty well. I’m not having any nausea. The only thing is the fatigue but I’m doing ok during the day and if I need a nap I take one while she does.

I’m pretty laid back. She is quite independent when it comes to playing which was my goal. So I let her do her thing a lot unless she needs me or she’s into something she shouldn’t be. Discipline hasn’t really come into it yet, though we are working on actually listening when I say no.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg

• 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? I'm 5W2D. My oldest is 5 and my (almost) middle child is 2. Both boys

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? I know it's early but I told the kids that there is a baby in my belly and my 5 year old asked if we could have 100 more babies after this and told me to make sure they are all boys.

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Pretty laid back. But my kids also listen and do what they are told. So I'm kind of lucky that I have kids that like to be good so I don't really need to be very strict ever. I'm a go with the flow kind of Mom.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids?
    6 weeks and 3 days and my DS is almost 17 months old

Lots of gingerale and snacking. Naps are my favorite too. DS is doing ok. He has an obsession with squishy my belly and trying to blow raspberries on it.

Winging it? haha I just go with the flow and don't really have a strict schedule. Like DS takes his afternoon nap from 12-2 and will sleep from 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending. He goes to bed anytime between 8:30-9:30 and sleeps about 12 hours a night. Some days he wants to go to bed at 7:30. He's a good kid so far and listens when I ask him to do something, and he does it which amazes me.
     Me (28), H (30)
    Together Since 04/21/2009; Married Since 05/29/2013

Baby Boy born 11/30/16  <3

Baby #2 Due December 4

• 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 7w3d and my son is 2 1/2

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)?  I've been sick and tired. Poor bub, I've been so lazy.  Go ask your dad.

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style?  Our goals are to have a respectful and kind little boy.  I feel like for the most part, he is both! He has a great personality and can take a joke, so we love to tease him and he loves to tease us. We aren't super structured, but we try to stay active and we want for him to experience ALL THE THINGS!  When I was pregnant with him, my goal was to not be to rigid and let him dictate what type of parenting he needs and I feel like my husband and I have evolved to his needs pretty well.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 5w1d - my girls are 4 and 2

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? I’m just very exhausted but not much has changed. I’m not telling them we are having a baby until first ultrasound. 

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? I do whatever Janet Lansbury tells me to do basically, lol. So respect is big here. I’m also pretty laid back but I have my moments of course. We are big on cuddling in my house so I am not totally sure how to cuddle three kids at one time but I will definitely have to figure that out.
  • 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 5w1d - my girls are 4 and 2

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? I’m just very exhausted but not much has changed. I’m not telling them we are having a baby until first ultrasound. 

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? I do whatever Janet Lansbury tells me to do basically, lol. So respect is big here. I’m also pretty laid back but I have my moments of course. We are big on cuddling in my house so I am not totally sure how to cuddle three kids at one time but I will definitely have to figure that out.
    Love Janet Lansbury!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
     Im 5 or 6 weeks, ill get an exact number at my appointment.  My ds is 2 years 5 months. 

Everything has been pretty smooth so far. Cramping most days, really bad mood sometimes, very short fuse lately honestly. I'm just taking it one day at a time and thanking the gods for being pregnant!!

Hmmmm i dont know if there is a word for it lol. I sometimes think I'm to strict and then sometimes to laid back. I just try to teach him right from wrong, but hey let's be honest I'm just going by trial and error like everyone else lol.
  • @maureenmce Dying at the fart/poop/burp bit.  :D  DH and I are equally disgusting in that area, so our DD is totally doomed.

1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow and DD will be 23 months tomorrow also!

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? I haven't been feeling too awful yet, so that's been nice.  But DD was AWFUL last night...it's like it just clicked with her that I'm pregnant and all the things resulted in a meltdown.  Yet she was super clingy to me and told Dad to go away.

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? I'm pretty laid back, but stern when I need to be (don't yell in public, quit wrestling the cat, don't hit the dogs so hard with your doll stroller, be nice to your friends, share, say please and thank you, don't abuse Mommy so friggin much).  I'm also a freak and don't really like her to have sugar.  My big thing is independence...I want her to learn things and do things on her own, but I'm always right there if she needs help.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

5w+2

Feeling pretty good, just exhausted all the time. Though I’m recovering from a back injury and wishing I could take meds for it! Tylenol is not cutting it. 

A bit firm but I hope not too firm. Each kid is different but at least with our first, we have found it easiest and least dramatic to just make transitions early and completely. That’s been true for sleeping in his own crib, taking a bottle, sleep training, potty training, etc. We just did it all quickly and never looked back. 

More broadly, I think these years are about equipping kids with the life skills to be little people and trying to make sure that they turn out to be kind, generous little people. We’re in a neighborhood fb group for parents of toddlers and the other families all seem deeply focused on getting their toddlers into classroom instruction of some kind.  

I am a huge believer in education and honestly can’t wait to see our son as a student, but he’s 20mo old. Mostly what I’m worried about now is him learning to share his toys and not to eat like a barbarian...
  • maebyemby said:

We’re in a neighborhood fb group for parents of toddlers and the other families all seem deeply focused on getting their toddlers into classroom instruction of some kind.  

I am a huge believer in education and honestly can’t wait to see our son as a student, but he’s 20mo old. Mostly what I’m worried about now is him learning to share his toys and not to eat like a barbarian...
    I'm amazed at how young kids are learning things these days (and I'm only 25...). I dont really remember doing math in Kindergarten, but I know someone whose daughter is learning math BEFORE she can start kindergarten! Wth?? I'm glad daycare has taught my son shapes, colors, counting, etc, but still, kids need to be kids and just be allowed to play. Also, +1 for wanting him to not eat like a barbarian lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• CecilB93 said:
    maebyemby said:

We’re in a neighborhood fb group for parents of toddlers and the other families all seem deeply focused on getting their toddlers into classroom instruction of some kind.  

I'm amazed at how young kids are learning things these days (and I'm only 25...). I dont really remember doing math in Kindergarten, but I know someone whose daughter is learning math BEFORE she can start kindergarten! Wth?? I'm glad daycare has taught my son shapes, colors, counting, etc, but still, kids need to be kids and just be allowed to play. Also, +1 for wanting him to not eat like a barbarian lol.
    I agree, it's so nuts. I don't remember doing more than learning to count to 20 in kindergarten. My kindergartener is doing addition and subtraction in the teens, and word problems on her homework. 

My aspirations for my 3 yo, who's in preschool, is that he learn how to not be an asshole to his friends. I couldn't care less that he can't tell an O and a D apart. He's 3. He'll figure it out eventually. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 5 weeks, give or take. Waiting on a dating u/s due to irregular periods. I have a 15yo SD & a DS who just turned 2.

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? The nausea is killing me, and I am so NOT ready to get up in the morning when my son is, lol.

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Loving but firm, semi-crunchy? I’m a super emotional parent, and my littlest one & I are attached at the hip, but I also love some good discipline. Breastfeeding and babywearing are my thing, cosleeping is not.
  • 1. How far along are you? How old are your other kids?
    i am 7 weeks. My sons are 1 3/4 and 3 (4 next month). 

2. How are you coping with the first tri and dealing with your littles? 1/2 a unison, a b6, and a prenatal at night. Otherwise I’m tired and doing my best. My boys have no sympathy for me lol - they still need me to be the same for them. 

3. GTKY: Parenting style...I don’t know. Raise good kids, have fun with my kids, and try not to yell when I find them climbing on the counters to get snacks. Lol. I don’t specifically have a style, I just try to do my best and love them. I do send them to daycare, and sports class there. They teach my 3 year old math. He also likes to use potty words - like poop or butt. Those are popular with the 3/4 year olds. 
    6weeks today. DS1 is 4, DS2 is 2. 

It’s so hard. I’m exhausted & so sick. Not even gonna lie, there has been a lot of bribery. 

I’m totally wingin it. My goal is to make sure my kids don’t turn into adult assholes. 
    who knows. I am thinking somewhere in the 5 week range. Maybe I will find out next week. My son will be 2 in June. 

So far we are doing alright. My husband is gone a lot with work and I am sick a lot so my little guy is kind of used to just dealing. He is a very easy going independent kid.  

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? I would describe it as easy going. I am a huge fan of manners. I am sure my extended family would describe it as controlling and semi neurotic. I don't really like my son eat a ton of sugar so it always annoys people when I don't give him treats. I also have a huge thing about secrets which annoys people. I can see how it feels harmless to tell kids to just keep this treat a secret from mom and it will be ok but in the world where I work (child sex abuse) it is not harmless. In my house we have a no secret policy. My son does get treats occasionally I just don't feel he needs them daily. My husband and I are both overweight and I want to do what I can to give my son a healthy relationship with food. 
  • 1. How far along are you? How old is your other kid or kids? 6w1d... my son just turned 3 earlier this week.

2. How are you coping with the first trimester and dealing with your little(s)? I feel like crap a lot of the time but luckily my son is pretty easy. Super independent and helpful. And so snuggly!  <3 

3. GTKY - How would you describe your parenting style? Just figuring it all out as I go! Or at least trying to. Let’s face it... I’ll probably never have it ALL figured out. But that’s ok. I figure as long as my son turns out to have a kind heart and is happy and healthy... then it’s all good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker