March 2018 Moms
Options

zantac 0.5ml

hi there they prescribed my almost 1mth old zantac 0.5ml for acid reflux.. anyone???

Re: zantac 0.5ml

• Options
    My son just got prescribed the same, but I don't know the dosage yet. Doesn't prevent the reflux, just makes it less acidic. In our case, it may have been causing our preemie son to revert to a neonatal brain and stop breathing when the acid came up because he closed his estophogas to prevent it from coming up.  We are the extreme case and please don't use this as cause for alarm....our son was born at 33w5d.  What is your concern?
  • Options
    I'm going to the doctor on Thursday to talk about reflux and hopefully medication. This am was the third time we are waking up with him curled back with his head all the way back. I used nosefrida and managed to get some stuff out from the back of his throat. He is now laying on my chest. Seems to be ok besides the occasional grunt and stretch. 

I wonder too if Zantac helped in other mom experiences and dosage.

Poor babies...so hard to watch him be in pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mmom3mmom3 member
    This was our initial dose with my daughter.  It will be adjusted as your little ones grows.  
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I contacted my dr thinking my ds has reflux and wondering about medication but my Dr wanted to try switching Ds from similac advanced to similac alimentum  before medicating for reflux. He said ds could also have a milk protein allergy and also said apparently there's a new study showing Zantac can cause more allergies later in life? I've never heard of this has anyone else?  Also anyone else's lo have milk protein allergy how do you tell the difference between that and reflux. My older daughter never had any stomach issues so this is all new to me.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    He's probably referring to this one... https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/2676167?redirect=true.
    Although with studies like these, I always wonder if there was already a predisposition to an allergy (which is why they had to take the meds in the first place), rather than the meds causing the problem.  But I also think the less you mess with the gut biome, the better.
  • Options
    slr1229slr1229 member
    edited April 2018
    We got put on Zantac yesterday- 1ml 2x a day.  So far it seems to be helping, feeds have been smoother with less arching/crying and she isn’t having her 8:00 hell hour of crying.

edited to add she’s 5 weeks old and 11 lbs 13 oz.  she’s gained 8 oz since last week so she’s getting what she needs but probably too much which is causing her tummy issues!  Girl likes to eat!
  • Options
    Saw the doctor today. She said to monitor since he's not spitting up often nor vomiting. What my babe does when the reflux happens is he coughs and swallows it, vs spits up. I am going to keep up with the feeding laying back, keeping him upright for 30 mins, burping...and today I have the rock and play to try that out for sleeping. If he continues to wake up with his head back coughing on his spit up...then back to the Dr for zantac.
  • Options
    @slr1229 how is your little babe doing with the Zantac? 

My doctor recommended we try Biogaia. I will go pick that up tomorrow and then I'm seeing my OB on Tues....will ask her about Zantac.
  • Options
    slr1229slr1229 member
    edited April 2018
    @nancysimp She seems to be doing better, less fussiness eating but she still has her witching hour from 7-830 so I’m assuming that’s just her and not related to her tummy.  I’m also trying to be more patient burping and keeping her upright after feeding, definitely cuts into wake time.

let me know what the doc says for you!
  • Options
    nancysimpnancysimp member
    edited April 2018
    @slr1229 that's good to hear! At night I'm not always great at the burping and keeping upright for more than 10 mins after a feed. During the day I manage much better.

Not sure if you have the same issue with crying but my little guy is a bit colicky...doesn't give me much time to pick up on his cues. He jumps to crying for food, diaper change, sleepiness etc. I want to minimize the crying if I can so he doesn't swallow too much air and gets too gassy. I noticed that when I put him on his tummy during the day to sleep (I watch him of course), and if I rub his belly a bit while on his belly, he passes gas a lot easier. I have a happier baby during the day. :)

I'm really curious about Biogaia to help with colic. It's a probiotic drop. Not sure if anyone is using it or has used it.
  • Options
    @nancysimp mine sleeps the best on her tummy, if we’re desperate during the day she naps on her stomach and she’s completely content and gets much better sleep.