October 2018 Moms
Options

Diapers & wipes - disposable, compostable, etc.

A diaper thread for all your non-cloth diaper & wipes questions. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Diapers & wipes - disposable, compostable, etc.

• Options
    Copied this quote over from the cloth diaper thread and added my comments/questions below:

melbo444 said:
    melbo444 said:
    I have had gross results recently with biodegradable diapers on some of the babies that I care for
    Sorry -I don’t mean to hijack the CD thread (maybe we should start a general diaper tread?) but could you elaborate on what you mean by “gross results”?
    They are always so wet and sticky when I change them, often with little chunks stuck all over their bottoms and legs. Takes some effort to dislodge. The dad uses tissues to pick off the pieces, then wipes, otherwise he says they go through wipes too fast. I'm only with these kids 1 or 2 times per week, usually, but I've had to deal with several leaks down the leg. Seems like a lot of mess for infants who get changed regularly, but then again, these kids are my first extended experience with infants (the other kids I work with are older), so I don't have a direct comparison.
    @melbo444 Do you know what brand they use?  We used Bambo Nature for a while with our boys. Cost became an issue, especially with 2 in diapers. I loved them though and was looking forward to using them again (since this time we’ll only have 1) only to find out they changed the diapers and now people complain about them leaking all the time.  I found some of their smallest size in the classic design, but I’m going to have to find something else once they outgrow them and would love to know what to avoid.
  • Options

@melbo444 Do you know what brand they use?  We used Bambo Nature for a while with our boys. Cost became an issue, especially with 2 in diapers. I loved them though and was looking forward to using them again (since this time we’ll only have 1) only to find out they changed the diapers and now people complain about them leaking all the time.  I found some of their smallest size in the classic design, but I’m going to have to find something else once they outgrow them and would love to know what to avoid.
    I don't know the brand. They are mostly plain white and have a line that turns from yellow to green when they're wet. I tried to google image search biodegradable diapers, but I didn't see them. The mom is home on spring break this week, so it will be a week or more before I'm there again, but I'll ask next time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We’re pampers loyalists over here. Surprisingly it’s all we got at our shower. Once we used up all those, we sampled pretty much ever major brand sold at Target. Every other brand either had fit issues, leaked, or DS hated (he screamed bloody murder the second he was wet in any of the more natural brands).

We use pampers sensitive wipes. We used Costco for a bit but they weren’t as soft. And price was the same on amazon subscribe and save so we switched back. 
  • Options
    We’re pampers people too. Swaddlers, and then we switch to cruisers for potty training. Pampers sensitive wipes. For DD1 we did huggies overnites for bedtime bc she would leak through the normal pampers overnight, but we stopped bothering with DD2 because that’s never happened once with her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We did Honest Company with DS. I liked them a lot and never had rash issue last with them. We will probably end up doing the same this time, although DH thinks we should go cheaper this time around. We shall see. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @melbo444 Thank you! There are a lot more natural options now than when my boys were in diapers.
  • Options
    We are Pampers people. Swaddlers and the sensitive wipes. We received a pack of huggies in size 1 at our shower but hated them, and the tabs kept ripping off (like broke off the diaper) with the gentlest tug! Might have been a defective package, but never bothered with them again after that.
  • Options
    hellopartyof5hellopartyof5 member
    edited April 2018
    I love huggies! Pampers actually scratched both my kids, which is just strange. They were both on the chunkier side though! BUT little snugglers are the good ones "snug and dry" are their nighttime baby diapers and are basically blow out diaper central, so stay away from them imo. Also love Kirkland brand (Costco). For wipes I either get Kirkland brand or Amazon elements unscented. I like the Kirkland brand ones better, but sometimes the convenience of the subscribe and save wins me over. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Pampers Swaddlers through size 2 and then we switched to Target brand until they were potty trained.  We tried different brands here and there but Target diapers worked just fine and much cheaper.  We had 2 under 2 in diapers so yeah that was fun.  Huggies One and Done wipes all the way!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am looking at The Honest Company and Bamboo Nature- I cannot wrap my mind around diapers that sit in a landfill for the next 500 years. For wipes I am looking at The Honest Company and 7th Generation. 
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 Unless you plan to send the diapers to a composting facility, they will still sit in a landfill forever.  Landfills are basically garbage storage.  It takes a really long time for anything, even natural things, to break down in them.  We still choose those over regular diapers because of the chemicals in regular diapers (both touching our kids and going into the landfill).  

I’ve used both Bambo Nature and Honest Co.  If you can find Bambo’s Classic version (only available on Amazon) I highly recommend them.  They go up a lot higher than normal diapers and prevented many blowouts for us. Reviews on their premium diapers say they leak a lot.  

Once most of the blowout risk risk was gone, we switched to Honest because they were cheaper (& we have twins, so we were paying double). IMO they worked as well as the conventional diapers  we had used early on (my boys developed rashes from a few brands and that’s what prompted us to change to natural diapers).  

I really like Honest Co’s wipes.  They were thicker and textured so they were good for cleaning up the really gross diapers.  I don’t remember if we ever used 7th Gen wipes, but we did get their diapers when we ran out of Honest (this was back before Honest was in stores).  I hated the diapers, but read they recently changed the diaper and people seem to like them better.

A lot of it is going to be trial and error. You could always get packages of each and see which you like better. I may do that as I’m hoping to find a less expensive diaper this time.
  • Options
    I feel like this is trial and error for each baby. Huggies were the best (and really only thing that worked well with no leaks/few messes) for our oldest. Our second had such skinny little legs though, even after the first few weeks, that Huggies never came close to fitting around his legs so it was almost like not having a diaper on at all unless he was in just the right position, so we actually found that the cheapest diapers worked best because they were thinner and could fit around his legs. Back to Huggies with our third...
    And on it goes. We used a mix with our youngest and are considering cloth with this one.
    I am following both threads closely for everyone's advice and input!
  • Options
    Ugh I really dislike seventh generation wipes, I'm having trouble remembering why though. I think it was hard to get the wipes out of the pack? I had such a hard time with them and never went back. I tried honest diapers (mostly because the cute designs) and there were lots of blow outs. Seventh generation diapers I didn't mind, but you can definitely tell when they have pee in them. I actually really liked them for the beach because they wouldn't explode if they got wet (unlike normal diapers). 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    We use LUVS. I really like pampers, but LUVS are cheaper and work just fine. We used the target brand for a while and then they changed their diaper and it didn’t work for us. We use target brand sensitive wipes.
  • Options
    All I can say is pampers diapers and pampers sensitive wipes are amazing I love them. Try to get diapers for your baby shower. The more you get the father away you'll have to buy them once babys is born. My son had a super sensitive bottom and huggies wipes were bad.. 
  • Options
    7th generation or water wipes are the safest way to go as far as wipes (other than plain water and a washcloth). 
  • Options
    7th generation or water wipes are the safest way to go as far as wipes (other than plain water and a washcloth). 
    I really wanted to love either one of these, but getting them out of the package is a royal PITA
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    Resurrecting this since we’ve been talking about buying clothes.  I found this link that has 2 different mom’s experiences with how many diapers to get and thought it might be helpful.  I’m actually impressed that they tracked diapers for the first year. It never occurred to me to keep track for future kids!

https://www.parents.com/parenting/money/saving/save-money-and-build-a-diaper-stockpile/
  • Options
    I loved Babyganics diapers and 7th gen wipes. I honest a few times but they leaked and were expensive. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We did huggies for the first couple months and they were great. Then I think DS got taller and more 'lean' (never been a chunky baby) and suddenly leaking like crazy. Switched to Pampers swaddlers and they're awesome!  I think they go up higher on his low back/hips and don't shift as much as the huggies.

Also the baby dry for night time are amazing! Still use huggies wipes and love them. I've tried others and they work, but tear easier. I have nothing against Pampers wipes, but huggies come in big bags with a refillable tub at Sam's, and Pampers are separate sealed travel packages. I like the refillable tub...

• Options
    @Mylitta I am with you on Huggies not working for skinnier babies. We loved them with two of our littles, but with the others I think the huggies were too thick and padded so left too much space around their skinny little legs and waists, which led to disaster every time. 
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    I hate both Huggies and Pampers. We’ve had the most success with Luvs or the Up & Up diapers from Target. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love Pampers. I've tried just about every diaper brand and Pampers work best for my boys. Pampers sensitive wipes are my favorite but my ILs gave us 2 boxes of Costco wipes so we're using those for now.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    +1 that Huggies suck for skinny babies. Pampers were way better. 
  • Options
    Pampers swaddlers were the only ones that worked for DS. And I hated luvs. We recieved a box as a gift and omg I couldn't wait until we were done with them. 
  • Options
    Huggies and Kirkland were my favs for chunky babies :) 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    So for those of you who get diapers you hate, you might check for a local diaper bank.  The one here in St. Louis takes opened packages, so you can get rid of them without feeling like they are going to waste.  
  • Options
    We are pampers people here. We use swaddlers until they start moving more then switch to cruisers and use the pampers sensitive wipes. Target Cartwheel has coupons (or whatever) on them often. I buy as needed. I got a lot of diapers during my shower with my first, so that was useful. 
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    I also vote for Pampers!  But the only time we used them was all the packages we were gifted at the shower then we switch to Target brand and have zero complaints about them.  We also use the Target sensitive skin wipes.    
  • Options
    Soooo what I'm gathering re: diapers is that it depends on each kiddo  :D I actually don't plan on getting a whole lot at the beginning, and will try a couple brands to see what fits best. Is that a bad idea? 
  • Options
    tlmilltlmill member
    @jemmerjams that’s what we did. If you’re wanting to stock up now, I recommend just putting the cost of a pack or two of diapers on a gift card every week so that you can buy whatever brand ends up working best for
    your kiddo once they’re here.

Also if you end up opening a package and they don’t work well for your kid (DS has horribly sensitive skin and most diaper brands make him break out) then Target accepts exchanges on opened packs. Just a heads-up in case anyone runs into that issue. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jemmerjams Not crazy. Exactly what we did. We were gifted a lot of newborns pampers. But once those were gone we went to target and bought a small pack of basically every brand. Learned DS hated Honest diapers with a passion. Like screamed anytime he was wearing one. Didn’t know that was a thing. Haha. 
  • Options
    @tlmill good to know. So far I've only registered for sensitive ones (all 2 packs lol) because I figure people will give me lots of options, and DH/Amazon can fill in the gaps once baby comes. My daycare I'm trying to get into provides diapers so FX I don't HAVE to use sensitive all the time!
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member

I had bigger babies and always liked huggies, and my niece was a little skinnier and my sister preferred pampers, so I guess it is in line with this theory!

My contribution to this post - I will buy generic brands for a lot of things, but wipes are not one of them.  I tried target wipes and they were always dried out.  CVS weren't much better.  I really felt they were a waste of $.

image        image

• Options
    @lest12 my favorite have been Target Up & Up brand unscented wipes. I agree that they are a bit dry, but whenever I open a new pack I just put a bit of extra water in it and all is good. 
    Pampers wipes are great, but more expensive. I hated Huggies wipes with a fiery passion. They would rip every. single. time.
  • Options
    @lest12 Yes! I only bought one container of wipes and the rest refills. Screw that. Now we have 3 containers in various places around the house. I fell like I’m filling one or another every few days. 
  • Options
    tinattt23 said:
    @lest12 Yes! I only bought one container of wipes and the rest refills. Screw that. Now we have 3 containers in various places around the house. I fell like I’m filling one or another every few days. 
    Are the refills able to be resealed? Our wipes are all resealable, no refilling containers, just open a new one when the old one runs out.
  • Options
    @purplegoldfish2 We get the ones that aren’t really resealable. I mean, they kind of are, but it’s just a sticker type cover. DS quickly rips it off or the stick has just dies. But they’re a bit cheaper than the ones with the little plastic flip top so we get those and just stick the whole pack inside the plastic container. 
  • Options
    lest12lest12 member
    @purplegoldfish2 - the ones we use (huggies natural care) can be resealed.

image        image