November 2018 Moms

CD Chatter

tinypikachutinypikachu member
edited April 2018 in November 2018 Moms
I’m really interested in cloth diapering this LO but, tbh, I have very little knowledge of it. Any CD moms out there that can shed some light?? I used disposables for DD and I liked them okay, we stocked up on a bunch when I was pregnant with her and got a lot at my shower. I liked not having to deal with extra laundry but the amount of garbage they created has me rethinking it, along with many other factors. I hope it’s okay if I ask some questions!!

1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO?

2. What kind are your favorites?

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with?

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: CD Chatter

• +1000 for wanting to hear more on this. I’ve tried reading articles in the past but they confused me  :#
  • Loading the player...
  • @erinmarie86 So if you’re breastfeeding and baby has a pooped diaper, you don’t have to rinse it off before putting it in the wash?
  • Yaaaaas! So glad this was started. Obviously all my knowledge is theoretical but I'm so excited to CD. Obvi I might change my mind once little one is here but I think flats with a cover are the staple I want to focus on. I can see the appeal of AIO or pockets but they seem like you'd need A LOT more of them plus based on what I've reviewed they're more annoying for prep work and longer to wash/dry. But we'll probably still get a few for non-CD knowledagble people if they ever watch LO. I LOVE that flats can be adjusted/folded based on LOs needs and you can add in extra absorbent pad if need be. Plus so long as the cover isn't dirty you can just change out your flat and reuse the cover for the day.
    We'll still use disposable on occasion but I want to CD as much as we can. Also mostly interested in the one size snap style covers if anyone has any recommendations. They seem more durable than the Velcro style.
    I've actually looked into sewing a few covers but not sure if I'll be quite that crunchy.
    Obvi with CDing I was to use reusable wipes as well. 
    I did a lot of research online a few months back so I can TRY to help answer some questions, but keep in mind it's all theoretical/research based knowledge :joy:

@MouseMama817 yes, so long as it's ebf (entirely breastfed) even poopie diapers can go directly into the wash. Apparently BF poos are water soluble.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• You can also put any clothes with Brestfed poop explosion in direct sunlight and it’ll go away and not ruin clothes even if a huge blowout
  • 1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO? We cloth diaper DS and will this one too. 

2. What kind are your favorites? We use bungenius pockets (one size) during the day but we changed to thirsties hemp inserts because microfiber was annoying with compression leaks, and we use thirsties natural all in ones (one size) overnight 

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with? We have a hanging wet bag we put them in and a separate smaller one for poop diapers. We spray the poop diapers before washing, although like was said earlier, exclusive breast fed baby poop is water soluble and can just go straight in the wash. I follow the washing instructions from fluff love and cd science on Facebook and have had no issues. In general it’s one regular cycle with a small amount of detergent followed by a heavy duty cycle with a larger amount of detergent. We use tide powder. 

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? We used up all the free diapers from the hospital and started cd around 3 weeks old. We used prefolds and covers until DS fit well in the one size diapers around 2 months old. But disposables were definitely nice while we were getting the hang of everything!
  • edited April 2018
    1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO? I cloth diapered DS for about 19 months or so. I stopped recently, mostly for convenience reasons.

2. What kind are your favorites? We used Soft-Bums mostly, which are adjustable. However, they have two styles: Echos, which are more suitable for teeny tiny babies, and Omnis, which fit a toddler more appropriately. I used the small dry touch pods for the earlier days and Super Dry Touch pods for later on.

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with? I threw all soiled diapers into a wet bag. Once he started eating solids, I ordered a diaper sprayer from Amazon that my husband installed. It hooks onto your toilet so you can spray the mess right in. I would highly recommend a sprayer, because scraping it off isn't exactly a party. Then, when I was ready to wash, I'd detach and open all of the diapers up, throw them in the wash using a detergent with no fabric softener. Sometimes I would do an extra cycle with no detergent. I would switch detergents sometimes, but always tried to use something like Seventh Generation.

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here We tried to use the diapers we received from my baby shower and those the hospital sent home with us. After that, we cloth diapered exclusively until recently, as mentioned earlier, or sometimes if we were traveling.

ETA fixed the awkward formatting - sorry it posted so weird the first time!
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts for now, I’m thinking prefolds+covers. But I may buy some AIOs. I like hearing other people’s experiences because I just get confused after awhile lol. I’m going to try to potty train pretty soon and I’m looking to use cloth pull ups rather than disposables to see how I like it all. I am considering small fitteds plus covers for the newborn stage and then switching to one size when baby fits into them. It sounds exciting snd terrifying to me lol
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • @aels12 how old is your DS? Have you ever had a problem with leaks? Also, how many diapers do you have? Sorry if it’s a lot of questions, I have an 18m girl and I’m curious 
  • edited April 2018
    @tinypikachu I have a friend whose brain I plan to pick once I'm further along that I *think* does prefolds and covers. (I'll pass along any info from her once that convro occurs). My understanding is that prefolds are veey comparable to flats but less trim and can be slightly more problematic as LO gets bigger/towards toddler size. But if you're simply doing a pad fold and "lining" a cover/using them as an insert I imagine they'd be super convenient (less folding than a flat).

I would think that wool (or fleece) shorties would work well as "pull ups". I've also heard they're wonderful covers for nighttime and also summertime when it's hot out and you're worried about LO overheating.

That's a good point about small fitteds they might be easiest with a NB since folding a full flat or even a prefold around something that tiny may be difficult especially with sleep deprevation and you wont have to fuss with a fastener.

Personally I plan to stock up on a few diff styles of covers, flats, a few prefolds, some additional inserts, and then seeing how big LO is at birth before deciding if newborn covers are necessary. Worst case we'll rock out disposables to start. Eta: and of course cloth wipes and breast pads!

As @erinmarie86 stated I plan to get some disposable liners to try for once LO has non-ebf poops. I've read both sides for the toilet sprayer. I've seen some people state it's irreplacable and is a MUST HAVE and I've seen some people state that it's not worth the hassle and is a waste of time and money. Honestly... As with most things baby it's totally up to you (well LO) on preference. Also a good pair or two of Rubbermaid gloves dedicated to laundry seem like a good idea sprayer or no sprayer ;)

Did I mention I LOVE CD talk??

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• edited April 2018
    1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO? We did with #1 and partly did with #2 (I was VERY overwheled with life with 2 kids a year apart, and CD laundry was something I chose to let go of eventually).

2. What kind are your favorites? BumGenius (I like their pockets) and Best Bottoms. Oh, and fitteds for overnight. 

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with? Wash every other day. It’s SUPER easy up until they start solids, because it can all just go in the laundry. Once they start solids, we have a diaper sprayer to spray off the poop. Diapers are their own load of laundry (there’s plenty for a whole load alone, believe me!). 

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here. My kids were pretty little and had skinny little NB legs, so even the NB sized diapers didn’t fit until a month-6 weeks. We still got a lot of use out of the NB diapers. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• @tinypikachu I don’t mind questions :) my DS is 14 months old. We have about 30 of the pocket diapers and 8 of the all in ones for overnight- which is more overnights than we need but I grab cute prints when they come out planning on needing more for the next one! You could easily get away with fewer diapers but I like having a little more leeway on wash days. I don’t have any leak problems now but we definitely did in the beginning. It was a bit of a learning curve! The pocket diapers came with two microfiber inserts, a big one and a smaller newborn one. I didn’t like how bulky it made the diapers to use both but using just one of either wasn’t enough and we got compression leaks a lot. Eventually I just bought a bunch of the thirsties hemp inserts, I’ll link them below, they were on super sale so thankfully not too expensive. The hemp and cotton mix absorbs plenty fast and no more compression leaks!  I use one large and one small in each with the small folded in half in front since that’s where DS pees. Cloth stores usually do their best sales for earth day and Black Friday, so that’s when I tried to stock up. Sorry for the novel!

Inserts: 

https://www.kellyscloset.com/Thirsties-Hemp-Inserts-2-pack_p_3452.html
  • 1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO?
    We did cloth diaper with our first from the time we brought her home from the hospital.  Debating on whether or not we will go that route with our second, mostly because the day care we use now isn't cloth diaper friendly.

When DD was itty bitty, we used prefolds and covers and that worked really well at containing newborn breastfed poops which are liquidy.  We never once had a blowout using them!  When she got a bit older and so DH would help more (the prefolds were a bit intimidating for him), we used GroVia AIOs and a smattering of a few others that I wanted to try out for fit.  For the penny pincher in me, I really liked the idea of prefolds and the laundry didn't bother me because they are easy to wash.  DH liked the AIOs, obviously, and the day care we used at the time would only do AIOs.  At night, we used the GroVia O.N.E. diapers which are really customizable as far as the absorbency... we just loaded it up since she was sleeping.  It also can switch between snaps and velcro which was a nice touch.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the budget to flesh out a full stash of AIOs unless I stalked CD trading sites, so they were difficult to find used (and sometimes questionable quality at that), DD ended up with chronic ear infections and terrible diaper rashes from the antibiotics and needed more than cloth safe diaper creams so we used disposables for a bit. In the end, we ended up switching to a different day care that doesn't do cloth so that sealed the deal and we ended up sticking with disposables.

If I do it again, I would probably look at some of the hybrid/AI2 systems.  I had just started dabbling in GroVia's hybrid diapers and really liked them but that was about the time we stopped.  As far as the prefolds go, we went with the GreatFit prefolds from Nicki's Diapers -- a mixture of cotton and bamboo.  I also got cotton cloth wipes that we still use today.  Green Mountain Diapers are the "gold standard" for PF but again, used is pretty much the same cost as new, but from my understanding, they last forever.  All of my PF are still in great condition, also.  Another site I ordered from was Diaper Junction so you can compare... sometimes one is running a sale when the other is not, etc.  The cool thing is that most of them offer "sample packs" or return policies if you order a diaper and it doesn't work out.

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with?
    Breastfed babies are easy because the poop is water soluble.  I just put them in a wet bag and washed every day or two.  We started off using Country Save detergent which I found at a local Sprouts grocery store (or also buy on Amazon) which worked really well.  That ran out and I couldn't find it locally anymore but the Sprouts had Charlie's so I went with that next.  Both worked well with our water (which is really soft because it comes from a local nearby lake).  There is a site called Pinstripes and Polkadots which has a detergent chart and rates tons of detergents for how cloth diaper friendly they are, so we just picked off of that list.  Generally, anything scented, with added fabric softener or brighteners are out.

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here
    We used disposables for the first day or two just because I was still in the hospital and didn't want to pack up cloth diapers and such to use while we were there.  We started using the cloth once the diaper pack the hospital provided was gone and we were home.  Honestly, you can go either route, you just have to be careful with the cloth diapers and make sure the covers or AIOs are the "newborn" ones which usually have a button down for the umbilical cord until it falls off.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO?  Yes and yes!  I cloth diapered my first from birth and loved it and I’m going to use them again!

i have different favorites for different reasons and stages.  Bum genius 4.0 all around fav (with snaps-Velcro wore out or she could pull off).  Flips (covers and inserts for trim fit, cost, ease of use and diaper bag.  I used sustainablebabyish bamboo fitteds with thirstiest covers for overnight when she started soaking at night.  For newborns I liked prefolds and thirstiest or bummis covers and fiteds and having a few all in ones for dr. Appts and sometimes.  

I put them in a wet bag or basic trash can with a liner and do laundry every 2-3 days.  I use cloth diaper safe detergent but just a large load and then in the dryer.  I didn’t have a complicated routine.  I stripped maybe 2 times.  
    4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here. I didn’t.  I actually brought them to the hospital.  But I could understand if you want to.  Your partner has to be on board or have help, especially if your laundry is in the basement or sonething, because you can’t be doing things like that right after birth.  The meconium comes right out with no issue.  You need newborn diapers for the first 1-3 months before one size fits.  I used a mix of types and had a few dozen prefolds so my newborn stash wasn’t too expensive and they work great for newborns because you get such a nice fit and then the prefolds can be used for inserts, burp rags, anything for a long time.  
    My best advice is to get variety and build a stash as you go.  You can even sell ones you don’t like.  You don’t know what you’ll like or what will fit your baby best.  Good luck!
  • If anyone wants to learn the basics of cloth diapers I recommend YouTube videos. 
  • @MouseMama817 yes, if you are breastfeeding then you can put those poopy diapers straight into the wash without scraping or rinsing off the poop first.  I believe if you use formula then you DO need to scrape off the poop.  However, it could be different for each brand.  Each company has their own washing directions that should be followed, though generally they are all pretty similar.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts i do have a couple of covers and inserts.  I liked them and found them best to be used when out and about because you theoretically could use the same cover and just replace the insert.  However, the pocket diapers were the easiest for non-CD users to use on our kids.  My MIL watches the kids and she had used cloth diapers on her son (30+ years ago) but things have changed.  We found the best success with the pockets also in regards to no leaks.  with covers and inserts putting them on correctly becomes key (though not impossible--i just found the hubs and MIL didn't do as good of a job and we'd have more leaks with cover and inserts)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @erinmarie86 @MouseMama817 Formula fed baby poop goes straight in the washer, too. No need to rinse until they start solids.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @Clobert, yes!  I learned a lot from this Cloth Diapering 101 series on YouTube.  It was a lot to take in, still... I also found it helpful to go to a few stores locally that sold cloth diapers so I could see and touch them in person.

YouTube Series:
    https://youtu.be/gVo6SMebcX8
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Got baby's 1st diaper cover today :love:
    Eeek!! I seriously can’t wait to get all of my NB diapers out from my IL’s house!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• 1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO? I 100% cloth diapered my dd from when she was 8lbs to potty trained. i’m definitely wanting to cd my twins when they get here. this time i’d like to have a newborn stash and start when we get home from the hospital.

2. What kind are your favorites? i started with flats and flips covers which was great for a long time. then my friend talked me into trying aios and i ended up with a large stash of those, my favorites being smartbottoms and blueberry aios.

3. Tell me about how you care for them. Do you strip? Do you soak? Just leave them in a pile and wash at the end of the day? What do you wash them with?  my laundering system evolved with time, but in the first year i washed them in 2 full cycles, warm/warm with scant sensitive skin liquid detergent, then hot/cold/extra rinse with normal amount detergent. at first i hung to dry, but eventually started just drying them in the dryer on medium and they survived just fine. no dryer sheets or softener, just wool balls for all household laundry. never stripped, just ran through another warm/warm cycle no detergent if i thought there was still some detergent left. rarely had issues. absolutely no soaking, dirty diapers went into wetbags and washed every 3-4 days. sprayed bm after dd started solids and those went into their own seperate lined pail with lid.

4. I’ve heard some CD moms use disposables for the first month or two, did you? I’m thinking of the 10+ diapers/day with a newborn here with dd, i did at first because originally we were oad, and i didn’t want to spend money on newborn diapers i thought she’d only wear for a few weeks. unexpectedly she was born iugr at 37 weeks weighing about 5 lbs and very slow to gain; we ended up spending a few hundred dollars on newborn disposables until she was big enough to fit into os cloth diapers. now i’m expecting twins, and expecting them to be on the small size like her when they’re born, so i’m definitely getting newborn size cloth diapers this time. 

adding another point-
    this weekend, a few of the major “small business” online retailers will be having their earth day sales, and aside from black friday-cyber monday, it’s the second best cloth diaper sale of the year. if you already have an idea of the systems you might want to try, it’s going to be a good time to buy. i’m not sure what the rules are for mentioning specific retailers, so if anyone would like to enlighten me, i’d find it helpful for future discussions.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited April 2018
    *lurker* I just like talking about cloth diapers.

I second the YouTube video @purelex posted above. That series is great for an explainer of the different types of diapers. We use Thirsties Duos covers, fitteds I sewed myself and Gerber prefolds as doublers (worn on top of a fitted) for nap and nighttime. We used disposables for the first 5 days or so before switching to cloth. We still use disposables on occasion. Vacations and such when we don't have good laundry. And occasionally when we're out and about for a long time.

I don't soak or strip. Soaking is generally not recommended anymore. Stripping was HUGE for awhile that everyone did, but it's now moving away from that. If you have decent water (not hard) and a good wash routine, you should never need to strip. I have never stripped my diapers. When I put the smaller size away when she outgrew them, I washed them with a little bleach. That's it. I do a warm rinse with no soap followed by a hot wash with Tide powder. The amount of diapers I wash at a time is a small load. However, I do both the rinse and wash on the medium setting so they have plenty of water to agitate around in. 

I bought all my fitteds on Earth Day last year. I got my wet bags as a free gift from shopping that day. 
  • 1. Have you cloth-diapered or are you going to do it for a the first time with this LO?
    I CD with DS for roughly a year. I plan to do the same with this baby.
    I loved Bum Genius OS 4.0 pocket diapers and Sunbaby pocket diapers. Sunbaby is a really affordable and great CD. I did use Green Mountain prefolds with Thirsties covers when he was littler because they were cost effective for needing so many diapers in one day. Plus they just fit better so little.

I did strip mine when I got them because I purchased used and stripped them once while using because they started to smell. I was using a different detergent early on and I don't think it was effective at cleaning so thats why they smelled. (My friend was using it to with no problems but she was in a different state. Just depends on your water & kid.) I started using original Tide and had no more issues. I washed about every 2-3 days. We had a CD and cloth wipes bin with a wetbag.
    I would do a quick rinse cycle first with no detergent then a regular cycle with detergent. I dried in my dryer because I didn't have time to hang them to dry. We didn't have very many.

We did use newborn disposables until he grew out of them then started the prefolds and covers. We just didn't have enough in our stash to accomodate 14ish a day. Plus he was 8lbs when he was born and gained quickly so he was 10lbs by month 1. We didn't use newborn long. I didn't feel it was worth the investment for newborn CDs but he was good size. We will do the same with this one but may start prefolds earlier since I know more now.

We did continue to use disposable at night because I couldn't find a cloth that was absorbent enough. I tried several kinds and insert combos. He was a heavy night wetter.

• too soon for fluff mail shots?

my earth day sale haul! 10 newborn rumparooz covers and 4 newborn aios (for twins).

• BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• krztazkrztaz member
    Adding because my FAVORITE newborn CD hasn't been mentioned. Green Mountain Diaper workhorse! They are like prefolds but are sewed into a diaper shape. You can get them with snaps or without (mine are without and I used a snappi). So simple to use, but contain newborn poo so well and wash nicely. Once out of newborn stage, we go to one size Blueberry AIOs (but full disclosure my 15 mo old has been in disposables for months because spraying poops was killing me.) Also, GMD regular prefolds are my favorite baby item of all time and I use them for everything- spit up, spills, nursing, diaper changes.
    Image result for green mountain diaper workhorse
    We are currently still cloth diapering our 15 month old son. My DH Loves it just as much as me. We already have a newborn stash. 
    GroVia!!!! AIOs for daytime, ONES for overnight. 
    We use GroVia pail liner in our Dekor diaper pail. I wash every two days with tide detergent only. I strip with GroVia mighty bubbles pods every month because they make my diapers smell so fresh. I use liners for solids and do the swish and rinse method. 
    I did use disposable for the first 3 weeks with my son but I will not with this baby. I have a large newborn/prefolds stash that I will start cloth at the hospital. 
  • edited May 2018
    Hey guys! Question regarding cloth diapering. I got a bunch of inserts (no tags) 2nd hand. How the heck do I tell what they're made out of? Do I assume cotton? Feel wise I *think* a few are microfiber which I know microfiber can not go directly on LOs skin. What about cotton inserts? Can you just lay them inside a cover or do you *have* to stuff them in the pockets? I'm wondering especially for itty bitties wish how often they get changed if you can stick an insert in and then just use the covers so long as the covers isn't wet then just replace the insert? Or is that a big ole heck no? Ftm and will be new to cd'ing :)

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts can you post a pic? maybe some can help identify them. you are right, microfiber shouldn’t go next to skin, cotton is fine. no need to stuff cotton, but you can if it makes it less daunting for helpers not used to CDing. also, the lining in pockets is usually made of stay dry fabric, so it can help keep the baby comfier longer if you can’t change them right away. but cotton is versatile, so you can do whatever is easiest for you.
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts I'm  a big fan of prefolds and they take up more space then the inserts so you dont have leakage, plus with just using inserts it'll  probably soak all the way through the pocket lining so you'd have to change the cover anyway.  

As far as type microfiber is pretty easy to spot.  Hemp is kind of thick/dense but also plush feeling like a really thin memory foam feel.  That and bamboo is most likely a natural off white color  because it's more expensive  and people dont want bleaching chemicals on it.
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts also, newborns poop A LOT and it’s the wonderful runny kind of poop. so, it tends to find its way past the lay-in kind of insert and gets on the cover. i’d recommend at least 8-10 covers for eod washing. pockets are expensive for this purpose, so if you want to go lay-in insert + cover, look into flips or something comparable as they are cheaper and faster to wash/dry in case you run out.
  • edited May 2018
    @highsteaks I'll post a pic in a bit working on sorting through everything atm and determining which ones need elastic replaced. 

Eta: good call on the cover, thanks! I have a few just covers but the majority are pockets. I plan on getting a few more just of the covers for that type of use.

@bqtmom25 thanks! I have a bunch of brand new prefolds from my MIL so if we do the non stuffed pocket route when at home I'll likely do a prefold and if we're out than stuff the pockets. 

I'll post some pics a little later.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• edited May 2018
    Included a pic of all the diapers I got for a total $60. Replaced a lot of elastics and some velcros but I think cover wise might be close to set for LO. Gonna get a few more cover style (non-pocket) but otherwise I *think* we'll be good? Thoughts?

5 pockets

12 more pockets

6 covers (gonna get a few more of these preferably non-velcro)

@highsteaks

This is what most of the inserts look like. Used microfiber? I haven't stripped/bleached them yet. Honestly I might donate the inserts and get new ones?(or used in better condition)? A lot of them STINK. After I do the wash/bleach soak/wash cycle how do you test absorbancy? Im trying to determine if it's worth it to try and use these inserts or not.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts those definitely look like microfiber to me. yea, and one of the reasons i hate microfiber is that it smells so bad after a little while. not sure why that is.
  • edited May 2018
    @highsteaks ok, thanks. I was *hoping* otherwise but after lookong at them for a bit I was like no... Damn. Lol. I know I'd read that since microfiber is a synthetic fiber vs natural fibers they tend to smell more. Also that most microfiber inserts only have like a year lifespan before needing to be replaced so... I might keep the non stinky/newer looking/unstained ones and donate the rest. Then go get a good stash of FSTs/prefolds and some varied natural fiber inserts etc.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts oh yea, that looks like a great set! you look way ahead of the game. i’m a big fan of single layer natural fiber flats, they are so easy to keep clean and dry super fast.

now we’ll have to convert you to a kitchen-cloth system too  >:)
  • Oooo? Kitchen cloth system? Tell me more!

I know a friend mentioned that extra receiving blankets make good flats too :lol: I'm thinking mostly flats or FSTs since they're so cheap and easy to clean and then padfold them for when we want to stuff a pocket. Although I figured a few inserts might be helpful for overnight/extra absorbancy layers. I know that's really baby dependant so maybe that's unnecessary? Any thoughts? On the front?

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited May 2018
    @lurvleybunchococonuts i’ve heard that about receiving blankets too, but i’m not a fan. for one, you really need to wash the diapers with hot water, and the recieving blankets tend to run/transfer dye on hot and don’t stand up to the beating of frequent sanitizing washes. and two, unless you go through the trouble of cutting and sewing them down, they’re too bulky imo for diapers. i did find a ton of other uses for old blankets though, so they are not without value. 

as far as extra absorbancy, what worked for overnights for me was hemp-cotton blend flats, specifically hemp babies brand flats: https://www.cottonbabies.com/products/hemp-babies-flat-weeds-hemp-flats?variant=34623871681 they have the highest hemp to cotton ratio i’ve seen so far which meant best absorbancy, also they are single layered and so so trim. downside, they are expensive, but since i only used them for overnights i didn’t need more than a few, and also they didn’t shrink consistently, so a couple are extra rectangular-y which annoys me slightly. 

you likely will not need to worry about too much extra absorbancy for awhile though, as that only becomes a concern when babies start sleeping through the night (unless you’re one of the lucky few whose kiddo does that almost from day 1). i’d say you get what you pay for, so spending a little extra for better material in the beginning may mean that you spend less in the long run. but yes, at some point you will need a better insert system for more absorbancy as no regular day use diapers will be good enough.

kitchen cloth: almost exactly the same cleaning system as cloth diapers. keep a stack of flats/prefolds/cloth wipes handy (mine are half-size flats folded in a basket by the paper towels) in the kitchen. use them like napkins for cleaning mouths, hands, counters, spills, whatever else is not a big greasy mess. then, put them in a wet bag until you need to wash them. i only have to wash mine one cycle a week as a separate load because they’re never as dirty as diapers and i have enough for their own load, but you can absolutely wash them with diapers if you have the machine space. sounds yucky at first, but i don’t find it gross because the diapers really should be cleaned well enough to be sanitary in the end anyways. we have saved a decent chunk of money with our kitchen cloth system because they cut back on one time use paper towels and napkins, and i imagine probably more than i imagine because my kid makes sooooo much mess that i’d probably otherwise have to use a ton of paper towels for daily spills that a single half flat easily handles.
  • edited May 2018
    Oh awesome! Thanks so much! We already use a lot of kitchen towels/wash cloths instead of disposable towels/napkins. And all our old cotton tshirts get cut up and turned into additional rags :lol:

I will look into/register for a few of the hemp/cotton ones for over nights. I already have 2 packs of brand new cotton prefolds from my MIL. So flats and fasteners are all we need for baby butts until s/he's bigger (which I'll worry about then). Good to know about the receiving blankets being bulky although I love knowing that if we're in a bind essentially anything absorbant will do :joy:

So I tried soaking a few of those inserts after doing a wash/bleach soak/rinse/wash and most of them are non-absorbant. The bright white/newer ones are still good (and actually super absorbent so I'm glad a few are still good so I could compare) so I'll keep those and then toss the others. Or maybe I'll try stipping and soaking a few then worst case i dunno... Find some use for them? So I have about 10 decent microfiber inserts now lol. Out of the like... 35 to start with. 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018!