October 2018 Moms

Confused

Ok, I don't think I trust doctors anymore. First, they tell me I have a blighted ovum because I have an empty sac. Then they tell me to come in a week later for another U/S to confirm loss of pregnancy. This time, there's an embryo with no heartbeat, and the sac hasn't grown. Now I've been told I should come back in 2 weeks for another U/S to verify that I've miscarried. I don't think I believe anything they say anymore. LMP puts me at 9 weeks today, but baby measured 6w,6d yesterday, and I have had previous pregnancies where I ovulated a day or two before my period was due. Should I hold out hope for the next U/S, or should I let them just do a D&C?

Re: Confused

• I am so sorry you are going through this. That is very confusing and fact is, there is so much about medicine and pregnancy that is still unknown.

I don't think anyone here can answer your question, that is a personal call. If it were me, I would probably wait another 2 weeks just for peace of mind.

I sincerely hope the best for you and you will be in my thoughts  <3
  • I am so sorry. That is so hard to sit in a place of limbo. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry you're going through this. I think you need to make the call that sits best with you, though I would probably wait the two weeks for confirmation.
  • That's definitely hard and so so confusing. I think I would just wait the next 2 weeks and hope to be pleasantly surprised (but I'm that person that expects the worst and hopes for the best... it helps me not get myself too excited sometimes). 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I’m sorry this is happening to you! That sounds so frustrating! If there are no risks, I would just wait two weeks rather than being left with the what if questions.
  • I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Limbo is the worst. I would agree with pps and say wait for the next ultrasound to confirm.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I definitely agree with all the other ladies. If there is no risk to you waiting, I would definitely be waiting for the 2 week ultrasound. 
    I do have a question though, did they do the 48hr quantitative hcg draws after they said they couldn't see a heartbeat? If not, I would call and ask if this could be ordered. They will take your blood, and see we what your hcg is at. As close to 48hrs later as possible, they draw your blood again to see if it's raising or dropping.
    I went through the exact same thing in January.
    My thoughts and prayers with you.
  • I’m sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like your dr wants to make sure it isn’t viable before recommending the D&C, which, although frustrating, is a good thing. He/she is looking out for the best interest of you and the baby, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.

If you ovulated right before your expected period this time, that puts you 2 weeks behind where you thought you were. It sounds like baby is measuring right on for that scenario. Since you have ovulated that late before, I would definitely have hope that it happened the month you got pregnant too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MrsBrandoMrsBrando member
    edited March 2018
    No, they did an HcG when I first tested positive, and the day after the empty sac, but not since. They just said they should be seeing a heartbeat by now.
  • They should, but I saw a few stories when I went through it that they didn’t see a hb at 6/7 weeks for whatever reason, but found it at the next ultrasound.  It’s rare, but it can happen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have no advice but  so sorry you are going through this limbo. How stressful
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • So so sorry you've been going through this for so long already. I agree and would wait the two more weeks mostly for the peace of mind. 
  • MrsBrando said:
    No, they did an HcG when I first tested positive, and the day after the empty sac, but not since. They just said they should be seeing a heartbeat by now.
    They usually should, but it isn't always a 100% thing. Another mom in my July 16 bmb, they couldn't find her daughter's heartbeat until 8w 2d. She's a perfectly healthy almost 2 yo. So it is possible. I don't want to give you false hope, just know sometimes it does happen. 

I would definitely call and ask for the 48hr quantitative draw. It just reaffirms if it's a viable pregnancy or not. And is much faster than waiting for an ultrasound  (although my Dr wanted both.)

• Just adding my words of support- I am sorry you are going through this, and I hope you make the decision that you are most comfortable with. 
  • That’s pretty rough, I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Obviously you need to do what’s right for you, but if it were me, I think I would wait the two weeks for another scan. I would try not to get my hopes up for anything, but if you don’t wait, you might look back and ask yourself “what if?” 
  • Hugs! Just here to give support and also say hold out the two weeks and ask for the blood draw. If the blood draw isn't doubling I would still wait the two weeks as I know at a certain point it doesn't double or go up as quickly. My Dr never did a second hcg draw. If you have ovulated that late before there is a good chance you ovulated late again and your baby is just younger than the Dr's keep thinking. 
  • ashin121ashin121 member
    edited March 2018
    I had three blighted ovums last year (4 total.. one before my son)  so I completely emphatize. It is a personal call whether you want to do the d&c sooner rather than wait 2 more weeks to make sure it's not viable. With my three last year, I had d&c at 11 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks. I personally needed to make sure it wasn't viable before I did the d&c. The docs are just making sure. For the 9 weeks one, we were all sure it wasn't viable . The 11 week one was more like your situation. There are stories where they all of a sudden see a heartbeat later and obgyns have seen it too. It's rare but they have seen it so they are just making 100% sure before they do it.

Ultimately it's up to you. I get it though...by my second one, I just wanted it done as quickly as possible because you feel pregnant the whole time and it's just harder to go on with your life physically and emotionally until  you get the d&c . 

Do what you think is best and one you won't regret in the end. Hugs 
  • I'm so sorry your are going through this.  I know you will decide what is right for you.  If possible I would see if they can do the blood work just as an additional information.  If it were me I would wait the two weeks but mentally prepare for the worse case scenario.  I don't handle disappointment well so I usually plan for the worst. Hugs to you.