3 1/ 2 year old not fully potty trained and having issues — The Bump
Potty Training

3 1/ 2 year old not fully potty trained and having issues

Hi Ladies,

It's been awhile since I've been on the bump, but wanted to come back to this community in hopes of getting some advice or feedback. My first son potty trained at 3 years and 4 months. I was convinced he would go to college in diapers but one day he just got it and we were lucky that he basically night trained at the same time. I figured my second son would be easier - I assumed he would watch and learn from his brother. WRONG! He is a little over 3 1/2 right now and still not fully potty trained. We are at the point where he has JUST started pooping in the potty (since last week) and he goes pee in the potty sort of randomly. My biggest concern, however, is that he pees VERY frequently, like every 15 minutes or so, at least some of the time. Last night I put him in underwear and we were on the 4th pair within an hour and a half because he would wet them. It's not like he's necessarily soaking them, but it's enough that they need to be changed. On at least one of those occasions, he didn't even realize he was wet. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this or if it's something that should perhaps warrant a trip to the pediatrician? We need him to be fully trained by mid-August so he can start Pre-K at his brother's school but I'm worried. 

Re: 3 1/ 2 year old not fully potty trained and having issues

• I don’t have any advice but was looking for ideas on training my almost 3 yo son.  After reading your post, I was thinking maybe a call to pediatrician would be a good idea.  Every 15 minutes seems like a lot.  

We tried training my DS a couple of weeks ago but after a couple of hours he flat out refused to sit on potty. He never actually used potty only had accidents. However I do think that helped him realize when he pees because he will now tell me that he has peed in diaper.  So in a couple of weeks when we have a free weekend I’m going to try again.