December 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: Where are you from?

I know it's early and there are just a few of us here so far, but hopefully everyone will see this and contribute as they join! Looking forward to getting to know all of you December mamas! Here are some fun questions to kick off the GTKY process! :) 

1. Where do you live?
2. What is your favorite and least favorite part of where you live?
3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future?
4. If money/work/logistics were no object, what would be your dream place to live?

Re: GTKY: Where are you from?

• Options
    1. We live in Los Angeles
    2. My least favorite part of LA is the cost of living. Otherwise I love it here. I love the history (even though people don’t think we have any), the food, the culture and the arts. The city has such a vibrant pulse.
    3. Because of the cost of living, we do plan to relocate to Austin at the beginning of 2019. We were actually just waiting to have our second here. I was born and raised here, so it makes me really sad to leave, but My brother is in Austin and my parents plan to move there too. So there’s that. 
    4. If money were no object, I’d live somewhere tropical and not work lol. Maybe Maui or Puerto Rico. I love both of those places
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    1. Where do you live?
    As discussed elsewhere, we also live in LA!  High five @westcoastfoodie !

Favorites: As mentioned above, LA actually has way more culture and history than people know about, and there are just one million amazing things to do here at any given time. Every neighborhood is so unique and different and beautiful, it's just a great city. And, though I complain about it being boring sometimes, you really cannot beat sunny and 80 degrees as our weather the majority of the year. Least favorite: the traffic (of course) and the cost of living. It's always been bad but it's just skyrocketed the past few years and we are also considering an exit.

3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future?
    It's still up in the air, but if the housing prices don't settle by end of 2019 or early 2020, we're probably leaving. We may go back to the small, indie rock, college town where we met (Athens, GA) and I'd be a stay at home mom for a couple years til kid(s) were in school, or we may move to Atlanta, GA, where I could find work in my industry. Though housing prices and commutes there aren't too awesome either! We'll see!

4. If money/work/logistics were no object, what would be your dream place to live?
    Oh I would live in Scotland! My husband and I got married in Edinburgh (kind of on a whim, didn't know too much about it) and absolutely fell in love. If getting UK citizenship was easy and money was no object, I'd move in a heartbeat and have a lovely house in Edinburgh and a wild lil cabin up in the Highlands.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. Augusta, GA (well, really Martinez but close enough)
    2. Favorite part: a combo of lots of nice parks/ playgrounds and schools and the fact that you’re a weekend getaway from a ton of exciting towns to visit (Charleston, Savannah, and Atlanta). Yes I said I like being able to leave, but I used to live in Nashville and there’s something different about living in a destination city versus popping by a few weekends a year.
    Least favorite part: the Masters. I will have a lot of griping about that next week when my ability to function normally drops to 0.
    3. Husband has a very good job in a very niche industry and I’m an attorney, so we aren’t likely to move. I’d like to be a bit closer to family, say in the Atlanta area (it would cut 2 hours off all of our trips!) but I don’t know if he could find comparable work. Maybe I’ll work for Alston and Bird and he can be a stay at home dad (I kid, A&B is out of my career range.)
    4. I really really loved living in Nashville. It was perfect. Big enough to be interesting and to have cheap flights, great weather- you had all 4 seasons and none of them lasted so long you got bored or annoyed. 
  • Options
    AGK2015AGK2015 member
    edited March 2018
    1. Short answer: Chicago. Long asnwer: technically I work in the city and live about a mile outside city limits (I'm still able to ride the El to work). It's a pretty old, kinda wealthy suburb with a reputation for diversity and progressivism (not entirely deserved on the latter half, but they try); we bought a 100-year old house here last year and are slooooooowly trying to renovate it (you know, adding basic luxuries like light switches instead of pullchains upstairs and removing century-old white wallpaper, which, side note, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!). 

2. Favorite part of this area is the architecture and the community vibes; favorite part of the Chicago area generally is the culture.... or rather, all the cultures. I loved that whatever you do, whoever you are, Chicago has a place that will feel just right for you. Least favorite part? The absurd property taxes. 

3. We're here for the long haul; if we move, it'll be to another area in the same 'burb, most likely. The schools are great, and we love the access to the city.

4. An apartment in Trastevere in Rome, with a lovely villa we could escape to during weekends in Florence. Or maybe just a villa somewhere in between with olive groves and a vineyard? Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    @AGK2015 your house sounds amazing!!!! I LOVE old architecture
  • Options
    @celette482 Oh, dealing with the Masters sounds similar to dealing with college football when I lived in Athens, GA. I mean you could. not. go. anywhere. There was nothing you could do but leave town in advance or wait it out, and that was every Saturday there was a home game! Crazy. People love sports so much more than I can comprehend, haha.

@AGK2015 LOL at the white wallpaper - why on earth *would* someone do that??? But your house and neighborhood sound amazing!
  • Options
    kuailanikaleokuailanikaleo member
    edited March 2018
    @brittaniahutto I know what you mean about cities growing. It makes you a little sad sometimes to see how much has changed

@AGK2015 Chicago sounds fascinating, I bet the food (Omg, the food
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    kuailanikaleokuailanikaleo member
    edited March 2018
    Sorry got cut off there! Wont let me post anything but Ill try again later!

• Options
    @kuailanikaleo my SIL is from Kihei and now lives in Texas! We all just took a family trip out there in Jan. It was my husband’s first time and I was so excited for him to visit! I’m sure all the tourist questions get pretty annoying. We get a lot here in LA, but I’m sure not nearly as bad as you get! 
  • Options
    Haha it's definitely not the fanciest house on the block (let alone the neighborhood!), but there's something to be said about the details; lots of old wood trim, some stained glass, even some built-ins. 

I seriously almost cried when I realized it was wallpaper. We didn't know until I went to start prepping the floors and trim so we could do what we thought would be a quick plaster skim coat to fix some minor imperfections... Surprise! 

@kuailanikaleo Yes! We lived about a mile away from a major thoroughfare with all these amazing Indian/Pakistani places, and there was a whole stretch of dingy-looking hole-in-the-wall Mexican places I walked past on my way home from work that served all kinds of amazing regional cuisine. I did get my first taste of Filipino food when we moved out this way, but man do I miss good tacos! 
  • Options
    1. Where do you live?
    I live in Abilene, TX, about 2 1/2 hrs west of Dallas.

So we moved here less than 2 yrs ago for DH to attend grad school and we haven't really enjoyed the move at all. The job market here is terrible, its very nepotistic and all about who you know. I had an excellent job before we moved as an administrative assistant at a medical school with over 10 years experience in my field and since moving the best I could find was a part time job as a waitress. Other than the job market, the weather is okay. We're mid-westerners so its been an adjustment but its nice having warm weather early in the year!

We are moving in June - yay for pregnancy stress! We are either moving back to Iowa where our families are or we're heading to NC. My life is very much up in the air until DH gets things figured out with his graduation stuff. 

Ireland. I've never been to Europe but my family heritage is all Irish and I've always wanted to go. Plus I love the idea of how much easier it is to travel in Europe than here! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    1. I live in ATL
    2. My favorite part is there are so many things to do- nice parks, restaurants, kid stuff. Least favorite - traffic
    3. We are happy where we are, so I don’t see us moving. We bought our house based on school district so we could do public schools.
    4. I’m not good at these question and because I overthink them too much. I think my most important things are living somewhere warm and near family. If it was just for a vacation - I’d say London. 
  • Options
    1. Where do you live? In a suburb North of Dallas, Texas
    2. What is your favorite and least favorite part of where you live? Favorite: it's Texas!!!  Least: the road construction  :#
    3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future? stay put
    4. If money/work/logistics were no object, what would be your dream place to live?  I would love to stay living here, but have multiple vacation homes.  Not sure where, lol
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    1. Where do you live?
    Long Island, NY
    Favorite: There is so much to do here
    Least favorite: So expensive to live here
    Ideally I don't want to live here forever but no plans to move anytime soon l.
    Germany or Sweden

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    1. Where do you live?

Washington, DC

Favorite things: DC has a lot going on, but it does not have huge buildings and has lots of green space.
    Least favorite things: Traffic and cost of living.

I doubt we'll stay here.  I'm a serial mover (I've lived in 10 different apartments in four states and two countries since I graduated college in 2009).  I'm hoping we find somewhere to stay put before our kid starts kindergarten.  I'll be finished with my PhD in 2022 (fingers crossed) and will probably try to find a job as a professor somewhere.  My husband works at a school and should be able to find a job most places.  It would be ideal to be somewhere near Philadelphia since my husband's family is there and my family (right now in NJ) may also move to PA soon.  My brother and his wife may also end up there. in about five years.

I'd love to live in Norway, but I would miss my family too much.  Philadelphia is probably the more realistic response.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd Nice as it is to put down roots, there's something pretty awesome about having the chance to try out lots of different places before you settle into one.

What are you studying, out of curiosity? 
  • Options
    @AGK2015 I've had fun moving around, but it's hard to feel at home and develop a good group of friends when you move every 1.5 years too.  It's been nice to know we'll be in DC for a while. And I'm studying education policy :)

Chicago is great and remodeling a house seems like equal parts fun & rewarding/pain & misery.  I'd like to do it someday.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1. I live in South Florida
    2. It's hard to say just one favorite - our family is nearby, the weather, 20 minutes from the beach, the food.  Least favorite - hurricanes
    3. We are not going anywhere.  We live within 5 minutes of my parents, my husband's parents (best in-laws ever), my husband's sister and a Publix.
    4. I think if money & time were not an issue, I would still live here but travel more.
  • Options
    PensiveCrayonPensiveCrayon member
    edited March 2018
    1. Where do you live? Southeast Alabama
    2. What is your favorite and least favorite part of where you live? Well, our subdivision is pretty nice. And Publix! Least favorite is the ridiculous alcohol tax and the lack of anything cool. We came from Vegas, so we were pretty spoiled.
    3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future? Move. H is in the military, so we're down here for three years while he's a flight instructor. He actually wants to become a priest when his commitment is up, so we have no idea where we'd go to after he completes seminary!
    4. If money/work/logistics were no object, what would be your dream place to live? So many answers. I'd love to go back to Indiana, where we're from. Northeast India, where we have a community of folks we love and rural living is just great. The PNW, in a beautiful, small craft home. Albuquerque, where we lived for several months during his initial training. I'd love to live in Scandinavia or Germany. Etc!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited March 2018
    1. I live in Indiana...moved here in 2016 from Oregon. I'm originally from Kansas (born and raised), but moved to Oregon when I was 21.

2. My favorite thing is probably that I get to have the kind of life I wanted to here - big house with a yard, low cost of living, good restaurants. My least favorite thing is the climate. It can get pretty chilly here in the winter and hot in the summer.

3. The plan is to stay here indefinitely. My husband's parents are moving out here in a few years, which will be super helpful with little ones.

4. A beach. Man, that would be the life. My husband is not a huge beach fan so I guess I'd be single lol
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    1. Where do you live?
    Oklahoma City

I love that my husband’s family is all here- we are really close. I dislike the volatile weather.

We will most likely be here for the long haul :). We moved here from Dallas - I’m originally from Vermont- and Dallas was a bit too much for me.

I would love to live back in a place like Vermont- but with warmer weather. I love the small town feel.
  • Options
    1. I live in Maine.
    2. My favorite thing about living in Maine is that everyone is generally friendly, and it is a safe and comfortable to live here. Least favorite is how long winter is! I'm just cold at this point! 
    3. We are in it for the long haul!
    4. Probably somewhere in Europe so there would be easy access to travel around the world. 
  • Options
    1. Where do you live? Michigan

2. What is your favorite and least favorite part of where you live? My favorite part is that there is so much to do here and it is so beautiful! My least favorite part is the winter snow and cold! we live in a small town that is close to the city which is nice because we are close enough to enjoy the perks of a city without having to live that busy lifestyle.  

3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future? We plan to stay here long term. Both mine and DH’s family live 10 minutes away, which is nice but sometimes not. Lol. We lived away for about 10 years, 4 of them being out of state in Tennessee. After living away for a while we knew this was where we would want to end up to raise our family. 

somewhere warmer!!
    Me: 32 DH: 33
    Type 1 Diabetic
    DS: Born 2/18/17
    TTC #2: Jan. 2018 BFP: 3/27/18 EDD: 12/6/18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

1. We live in a Northern NJ
    2. I love that if I drive an hour south I will be at the beach, and if I drive an hour north I will be in the mountains
    3. We plan on staying in the town we are in for a while. My mother in law lives in town and she watches my daughter while I’m at work, so we couldn’t go very far even if we wanted to. We are starting to think about a bigger house though, it’s getting tight with one baby, I’m sure it’ll feel even smaller with two!
    4. Anyplace waterfront!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. Where do you live? A suburb of Houston.
    2. What is your favorite and least favorite part of where you live? The good: I love Houston's restaurant scene (unbelievably diverse) and performing arts scenes (fantastic theater, ballet, symphony, the works). The bad: humidity, mosquitoes, hurricanes. 
    3. Do you plan to stay where you are for a while, or are there any moving plans in your future? Planning on staying put, bought a house a couple of years ago and hoping to move to a bigger lot in the same area.
    4. If money/work/logistics were no object, what would be your dream place to live? Hmm. I'd say someplace in Europe simply because I like the idea of being near tons of other places to visit. 

@AGK2015 Your house sounds amazing! Love where I live but the carbon copy houses have zero character. 

@kuailanikaleo Do people seriously ask you those stupid questions?? Props to you to you for not kicking a lot of tourist shins. 
  • Options
    1. Where do you live?
    Iowa

I live in the middle of no where there is nothing I don't like about where I live it's so peaceful and quiet. We just love it. Right now it could be warmer I guess lol.

Yes we plan to stay for a while. We are just starting to establish our homestead

I would live on 109 acres of timber land in Washington state.
  • Options
    @ALM2016 haha yeah, its pretty funny sometimes....you have to develope a big sense of humor when talking to tourists! Lol. Ive been to Houston when I lived at Fort Sam and it was so much fun! So many places to shop and different restaurants. So eye opening for someone who has never seen that before!

• Options
    @wackers87 I'm an Iowa girl too! Currently in TX but we might be back in IA this summer. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    1. Kansas City, MO

2. Favorite: there is so much to do here all year round! And so many awesome restaurants. Omg so much good food.
    Least favorite: weather! It's April 6th, we're potentially expecting snow this weekend. 

3. I think we plan to stay in this area, but we do plan to move to a new house and maybe a new school district.

4. Honestly? I love KC! DH does too. So we'd probably just get a nice house and then travel if money wasn't an issue.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 I know a weird amount of people from Kansas City (like, 12 maybe?) and they all love it and miss it and want to move back one day.
  • Options
    We live in a very small town in tn. Just about an hour east of Nashville. I was born and raised here. I moved away once to oklahoma for about 6 weeks. I don't see is ever leaving the area. 

• Options
    @maureenmce it is a pretty great city, bias aside. Tons of history, plenty of diversity in everything, awesome First Friday's in the arts districts, quite a few museums, tons of places to go hang out outside. We had considered moving at one point, but I'm glad we didn't.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    1. Where do you live?
    I live in Queensland, Australia

We are in a large regional town. One of the best votes placed in QLD to raise a family. Parks and schools on every corner. We love on an acre so plenty of room for the kids and dogs. 

We live 20-25 minutes from town. So it always seems like a mission for any shopping/appointments. 

Yes! We built our house a few years ago, so we are planning on staying till kids are in high school and then maybe moving closer to town. 

Probablu back closer to our family. We were able to buy a big block and build because being regional, it was cheaper. Would love the same space, but near our family (about a two hour drive away). 
  • Options
    1. Where do you live?
    Madison, WI

I love the culture here and there are so many great things for families to do.  It's also pretty affordable.  Least favorite is probably Wisconsin winters and the fact that I'm far away from my two favorite things, mountains and the ocean. 

We'll be staying here for a while, my H has a good job and we're close to my in-laws.  

I would love to move to Colorado at some point.  They have the best weather and I've always wanted to live near mountains.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    hkom said:
    4.   It's not really a place but more of a setting.  I would buy a big old 19th century farmhouse with a bunch of land and spend all my time raising children, animals, and a huge garden.
    Oh that sounds like an absolute dream! And I hear you about all of the gentrification issues. Here in LA things have really, really blown up in the last 5 years, especially downtown where my husband works (which weirdly, since LA is such a big city, used to be mostly undeveloped and kind of a ghost town at night.) Anyway, long story short things are SUPER developed now, but it's so expensive all of the former residents have had to move. And it's nearly impossible to afford a home here now, let alone in an area with good schools (rare here anyway.) Anyway, blah, I need to get an old farmhouse on some land and get out of here, haha. :)
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    edited April 2018
    @maureenmce I think about it more often than I should!  It tortures me

BabyFruit Ticker