September 2018 Moms
Options

Sex vs. Gender - they're not the same!

Hi all, while scrolling through this board and reading many posts about baby's gender, the teacher in me couldn't help but want to provide some clarification about what that word means. There's an important difference between sex and gender! I teach at the college level and find that most of my students are unaware of the difference, so I wanted to share some information that is helpful to them in hopes that it might be helpful here too.

Sex: the biological characteristics, including chromosomes and reproductive organisms, that make one male or female
Gender: the social characteristics that we associate with being male or female, such as norms and social roles

Your unborn baby has a sex! This is what you find out from your ultrasound or genetic test. It's okay to use the word sex, as this does not mean baby-making - that's sexual intercourse.

Your unborn baby does not have a gender, as this is part of one's identity, developed through socialization in your culture. Your baby won't start displaying gender characteristics until it is older.

So, all of the "gender reveals" you see are really sex reveals. We can start talking about gender in a few years when we see our girls wanting to be princesses and boys wanting to be superheroes thanks to the all the gendered toy marketing that happens in the media. The distinction between the terms is important, because there are many social issues concerning both sex and gender.

Interesting fact: until the 1970's, the word gender was only used to denote whether words in some languages were masculine or feminine (such as prima versus primo in Spanish). It started being used in the 1970s as a way to distinguish the social construct of masculine vs. feminine from biological sex. 

Re: Sex vs. Gender - they're not the same!

• Options
    I actually cringe every time I read "gender reveal" and I try really hard to use the correct terms.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Options
    @melly0001 thank you for this. A correction I’ve been making of family members asking if we’re finding out our baby’s gender. To which I say: ‘nope, only they’ll be able to tell us that.’ 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! I correct people about that all the time

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• Options
    Thank. You. I am tired or correcting friends and family. No, I do not know their gender, ask them. 
  • Options
    purplepelicanpurplepelican member
    edited March 2018
    *lurker* 

• Options
    While I totally agree, I kinda do think it is a "gender reveal" and not a "sex reveal" in most cases. The people who do this USUALLY assign all kinds of gender norms to their unborn babies based on their sex. Have you seen the awful Buzzfeed posts about some of these? They're so gross to me! So many of them are about the female sex being traditionally 'girlie' and the male sex being traditionally masculine and tough. Barf. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristatorres/gender-reveal-cakes-are-confusing-af-and-twitter-has-a-lot?utm_term=.dvzoqL7eW#.gtPwOe1En 
  • Options
    @MandyMost wow some of those are really terrible 
  • Options
    @MandyMost interesting point! I hadn't thought about that - most people ARE already assigning a bunch of gendered characteristics to the baby! I hadn't seen that post, but some of those are really horrifying! 

@Car0liiine I totally get it! I get complacent too, and definitely use the word "gender" sometimes in order to avoid disrupting the flow of a conversation (and because I do want to turn off teacher mode sometimes!). I just wanted to share because many people are totally unaware of the difference, even though they might intend to be accurate.
  • Options
    @mandymost I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Those are horrific.

• Options
    I bet we could come up with some equally terrible ones...
  • Options
    @melly0001

I don't plan on using gender-neutral pronouns and names, but

Out of curiosity, how will you refer to your child?

• Options
    Okay, I’ll play just because this is now a thing. Do most people in the general population understand the difference in sex and gender? I actually don’t think so. Do most users on the bump understand it if they’ve been around longer than a day and bothered to read a single thread? Yes. Do regular users get flamed for talking about a gender reveal? Not typically. Do drive bys who want us to comment on their fetus’s us anatomy get flamed for asking about the “gender”? Yes. Absolutely. 

@melly0001 yes I rolled my eyes at your post because the people who might take anything away from it have zero chance in hell of actually reading it. Because they haven’t read anything else on the boards.
    @zuzu43 I rolled my eyes twice as hard at your post because... well 

And it seems awful preachy to come and try to educate a bunch of people you have zero other interaction with. Am I going to continue to correct the drive bys who offer no value or support and use it incorrectly? Yes. Am I going to flame a reg who uses the socially conventional phrase “gender reveal”? No. Nor have I ever. 
    Thanks but no thanks. 

• Options
    zuzu43zuzu43 member
    edited March 2018
    I'm not trying to educate. I'm just sharing my opinion that I don't believe it is "incorrect" as you keep repeating. I purposely qualified most of my sentences with "I believe" or "I think" to acknowledge that I am sharing my personal views.

I rolled my eyes at the condescending tone of your original post, such as your desire to "educate" or enlighten people and tell them that they "can" use the word sex or when they "can" talk about gender. It's especially a shame if this is the way you teach college students because it perpetuates the idea that there are "right" and "wrong" things to say, discouraging college students from sharing opposing views. My original post was just going to be a snarky, "Thank you for blessing us with your knowledge!" but I refrained and instead posted some food for thought. If you want to take it and consider it, great; if not, whatever.

I do go here, and I don't need your permission to post. I participated quite a bit in the first month but then took a break because I was having a lot of anxiety about miscarriage, and I found that constantly reading, thinking, and talking about the pregnancy wasn't helping. Now that I'm past that point, I have started lurking a lot again, and I'm thankful for the group. I don't have much to contribute because I'm a FTM, but I can lurk all I want, and if everyone wants to roast me or flame me for posting on this thread, so be it... but I wanted to post because I had a lot of thoughts, so I did. Sue me.
  • Options
    @stothi makes tons of sense, and I couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    @spottedginger oops, sorry about that then! although I did take offense to your post and will still say that I don't think the use is "incorrect."

And @melly0001, super-duper sorry! I guess it's out of the bag now that your original response irked me... I did work on getting past that though, and I unfortunately let it all come rushing back when I thought @spottedginger's response was you. I'll go back to my thoughts that I shouldn't even assume you use the term "can" with the college students instead of my sassiness in saying it's a shame if you do.  :s I take all responsibility for my snarkiness that was misdirected at you and apologize from the bottom of my heart!
  • Options
    @spottedginger and thank you for welcoming me now despite the tension. I somewhat didn't feel a right to have the anxiety or participate in the PGAL thread because I hadn't actually had a loss.
  • Options
    Wow, a lot happened in here today. @zuzu43 no hard feelings! As I said before, I found this conversation to be helpful and enlightening, and I am glad you contributed (even if it was a long read!). And I double-appreciate that you engaged in a measured and calm way, even if your initial reaction was to be irked by the post - certainly not something that always happens on the internet, or even on these forums!

As far as "drive-bys" go, there are far too many people in this forum for me to know whether an individual poster is a one-time poster or a regular, and even if they don't post regularly, that doesn't mean they don't read the forums (I read this forum a lot before I started posting). I'm sorry if anyone feels like this topic has already been covered; this is the only forum I follow on TB (it's just too overwhelming otherwise), and I haven't seen this topic covered in here (I searched before posting). My intention was to make people who don't know the definitions aware of the definitions; they can choose what to do with that information. I would prefer to share that information in a way that doesn't call out any individual person, which is why I created a new thread.