1st Trimester
Options

Dental X-rays one week after conception

Hey Everyone,

I had bitewing dental x-rays done about one week after conception. They didn’t use an apron on me. Obviously I didn’t know I was pregnant at the time or I would’ve declined the x-rays. I mentioned it to my OB at my appt today. He said it was so early on that everything should be fine, but he he still wrote it down in his notes, which made me a little nervous. Anyone else have x-rays done early in pregnancy? 

Re: Dental X-rays one week after conception

• Options
    I find it odd they didn’t use the apron. If your doctor isn’t concerned then that a good sign. It’s honestly too early to tell if it made a difference. One week after conception is still pretty early since you might have not even implanted by then. Try not to stress. Congrats!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed on them not using the apron. It was probably riskier for you than the baby at the point. 
  • Options
    I'm a vet tech, and a big part of what I do is x-rays. Pets don't cooperate like people, so we are exposed to a lot of x rays every day (we wear appropriate PPE,  IE lead aprons and thyroid shields) I have taken radiographs up until I get my bfp, and doctors don't seem to mind too much. I have 1 healthy ds and one more on the way. I wouldn't worry too much. But they still should have put you in an apron, regardless if you're pregnant or not. 
  • Options
    I had xrays a week after conception also. Dentist asked if I was pregnant and I said no. She was also telling me her new machine is something like 1/200the radiation level of the old machines. Still ALWAYS drapes me. OB said normally they would double drape you or forego the xrays but should still be ok. 
  • Options
    Digital dental x-rays have a very low amount of radiation so you and baby should be just fine. That being said they should always be using the lead apron. The assistant may have just forgotten (it's happened to me before). I wouldn't worry

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• Options

I work in a dental office. The amount of radiation your exposed to during a series of xrays is less than if you've got your cell phone in your hand all day. So don't stress.

Why they didn't use an apron is super confusing tho. It's comforting, it's an extra precaution, and it's a liability issue if something does happen to the patient. Very careless.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015