November 2018 Moms
Options

First appointment question

Hey ladies! I'm eagerly awaiting my first prenatal appointment next week,  but I have a dilemma. I'm a STM and because of the time of my appointment,  I may have to bring my almost 2 year old with me. Any other moms out there that have had to do this? How did it go? I honestly don't even remember what happens at the 1st visit.  I guess I should look that up..

Re: First appointment question

• Options
    I asked this on another thread. The advice I got was to reschedule your appointment, or find a sitter, because it's a pretty lengthy appointment. There's patient history, the ultrasound, a urine test, bloodwork, etc. So bringing a toddler is not recommended. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Due to a babysitting snafu, I asked my dr office if I could bring my 2yo to the u/s and appointment and was told no. So I rescheduled. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    FreeTheElfFreeTheElf member
    edited March 2018
    My 1 year old will be coming with me to my first appointment, but there won't be an ultrasound - only urine, blood test, blood pressure and talking, and the clinic itself encourages children to come along. I imagine it would be very difficult to watch a toddler during an ultrasound! Do you have anyone who could accompany you to the appointment to help out?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have never personally brought my toddlers to an OB appointment, but I have seen other moms do it many times.  There is a standing rule at my doctor's office that they are not permitted in the ultrasound area though.   I would maybe call and just explain your dilemma and see what they say.
    Me:  28  DH:  33
    Married:  10/04/2014
    DD1:  03/02/15
    DD2:  08/04/16
    Baby 3 Due:  11/23/18!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am 7wks 1day, I brought my 2yr old DD with me to my ob appt on Monday which took about 2 1/2hrs and she came to an ultrasound with me later on that day. She got a little antsy but otherwise behaved rather well. 
  • Options
    I asked this on another thread. The advice I got was to reschedule your appointment, or find a sitter, because it's a pretty lengthy appointment. There's patient history, the ultrasound, a urine test, bloodwork, etc. So bringing a toddler is not recommended. 

That's definitely not everywhere. My ob does nothing in office so I was planning on bringing my one year old to the appointment.  My husband will be there anyway. But they don't do bloodwork, no in office u/s, nothing. I wish they did, it would save all those extra trips....
  • Options
    I'm bringing my husband and my super active 17 mo old to my first appointment. It's really our only option if I want my H to be there... and I do... so they can deal.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @CopperBoom86 same. I figure if DD gets too fidgety he can just take her out to the car or something and wait. I really want him to be there for the first ultrasound. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
     The hubby will be at work. My MIL usually watches DD when I have work and hubby has after school activities to run (we work opposites), but we haven't told anyone that we're expecting and don't plan to until after the first trimester.
  • Options
    Crisis averted! DH will be taking DD to work since he'll be out of the classroom to write IEPs. I'll be sure to ask my OB about possibly having to bring DD to future appointments. 
  • Options
    My 3 yr old will be coming with for viability scan and bloodwork. My hubs travels for work a lot and I'm not telling anyone yet. The office said it's fine. 

She doesn't get a ton of tablet time - so I'll bring the tablet and fruit snacks and hope for the best. Lol
  • Options
    This is my 4th child and I have always had a child or two at every visit in prior pregnancies. It might be an area thing where kids are not allowed at the OB's. Here kids are brought pretty regularly and no one raises an eyebrow. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    My daughter came with me for my IUD insertion, the check for placement a little bit after and removal and it wasn't a big deal.  The OB doing both the insertion and removal was the one who delivered her so maybe she just likes seeing the babies she caught but she didn't mind in the slightest.  I bring books/toys for the waiting room and while I wait for the Dr in the room and then a high value toy for the actual exam time.  For us, that's usually a tablet with a game or Daniel tiger on and since she only gets it for things like that, she has no qualms with sitting quietly and playing/watching.  She's also come with me to dentist appointments and an endocrinologist appointment and they didn't mind.  
  • Options
    I personally would find another doctor if my children were not allowed at appointments. It's inevitable that I had one or two of them with me (now maybe even all three!) and it's always been fine. 
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18