October 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY #10 What are you reading?

Tell me what books you'd recommend! I need more ideas. Right now I'm reading the Rosemary Beach series by Abbi Glines which is adult fiction that includes lots of sexy time with descriptions (that's my jam, no shame). 
But I love any kind of novel really with a good ending. I've never been much into Sci-Fi or Fantasy because I don't get it. That stuff is wayyyyyyy over my head. But I've also never given it a real shot because I felt like it would be way over my head.
Anyway, What are you reading?!

Re: GTKY #10 What are you reading?

• Options
    @lynzev I feel like I could have written your post!! haha! I like those books too- no shame here either! I also enjoy a good ending in general.

I have a really long commute (about an hour each way, if I'm lucky), so I've really been into audiobooks. I LOVE anything by Diane Chamberlain and Jodie Picoult. I would love some suggestions for more good titles/authors though! I've pretty much run out of what the library has to offer from both of them!
  • Options
    I'm big into audiobooks too, but I mainly do YA or Fantasy. I really enjoy listening to autobiographies because often times they're read by the actual author. I'm listening to Eddie Izzards right now, but I haven't gotten into it yet.

If you're into murder mystery - Robert Galbraith's books are good (It's actually JK Rowling under a pseudonym). They are very page-turning.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    For some fantasy that won’t go over your head (but is definitely not to everyone’s taste), I like Terry Pratchett and Seanan McGuire. 

I’m currently reading Making Money by Pratchett. He’s my go to for travel reading because I find his writing style really easy to pick up when I get interrupted.  He also cracks me up. 

Seanan McGuire is a newer author for me, but I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve read so far.  My first book was Every Heart a Doorway; I really enjoyed that book because it is rare that I see myself reflected in characters, but I did in this one. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 oooo! I do! I'll definitely put those on my list! thank you!!

• Options
    I've been really into historical fiction lately.  The last two that I've really enjoyed have been The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  I should probably add that both need a general TW for trauma and trauma pertaining to children.  
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm almost finished with When They Call You A Terrorist and feel like it should be required reading-- it's absolutely amazing and powerful. For fiction I've been pretty obsessed with Nnedi Okorafor, currently excited that the third Binti book came out. Her Akata Witch series is pretty great for young adult fans, like a bad ass Nigerian version of Harry Potter
  • Options
    My absolute favorite author, Tamora Pierce, just came out with a new book. It's 100% fantasy (mages, kings and queens, mythical creatures and gods). I have read every book of hers (roughly 25) and I can never get enough.
  • Options
    Non fiction - the girlfriends guide to pregnancy and Expecting Better

Fiction - the Chemist - lady who wrote twilight, I will admit I did like twilight but this book was so much better!

In a dark, dark wood - saw someone suggested it on fb.  only a few chapters in but seems like it could be good. I also do audio books so I can clean and drive etc while 'reading' and this one is read by a lady with an accent. Not too think so it wasn't too hard to get into. 

• Options
    Currently reading Crimson Death from the Anita Blake:Vampire Hunter series by Laurel K Hamilton. There's like 25 books. The series started the year I was born! It's definitely fantasy/vampire/werewolf genre.
  • Options
    I'm found a list of books that have a setting in each state.  I'm currently reading "Revolutionary Road" and "Twilight" haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Just added to my list...thank you for all the suggestions! @theglitteredpterodactyl I just picked up the first Akata Witch book and am really excited to start it (even more so after your description)!

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was excellent...very powerful and well-written (the author of Kite Runner, which I did not like, although that seems to be a very unpopular opinion among people who have read it...)

My all time favorites are Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (also excellent in audio book form), The Drifters my James Michener, and anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

For something with a great story, I love the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. The kids and I just listened to the first book, The Golden Compass, on audiobook and it is read by a full cast with the author as narrator and was really fabulous! (I am super picky about readers for audiobooks so was surprised by that).

• Options
    norahkate said:

For something with a great story, I love the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. The kids and I just listened to the first book, The Golden Compass, on audiobook and it is read by a full cast with the author as narrator and was really fabulous! (I am super picky about readers for audiobooks so was surprised by that).

Full cast audio books are so great! It really helps bring the story to life.
  • Options
    @norahkate i hope you like it! I'm eagerly awaiting the second to be in paperback... Also I'm with you, i couldn't stand kite runner
  • Options
    Right now I’m reading the final book in the “Call the Midwife” series.
  • Options
    @nayyohme I read a bunch of the Anita Blake books. Tapped out around maybe Danse Macabre. 
    Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jennifer Ashley, and Patricia Briggs (PB is my fav) have similar series. Kenyon’s are a spin on Vampires with Greek Mythology thrown in, Ashley are shifters (wolf, bear, tiger etc), and Briggs are werewolves/vampires/fae but the protagonist is a Coyote shifter from Native American mythology. 
  • Options
    Another vote for Patricia Briggs!  I love strong female protagonists.  
  • Options
    @bel194
    Have you read Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series? Takes place during the Napoleon era.

Right now I'm reading the DCF  modules so I can open a home Daycare next year.

• Options
    Another vote for The Nightingale,  though its a tear jerker.  I just finished The Winter Garden, also by Kristin Hannah, also a tear jerker. 

I love audio books for my commute too. I really enjoyed The Handmaids Tale, it was read by Claire Danes. I'll also listen to celebrity autobiographies because I like when they're read by the famous person. 
  • Options
    Re-reading Dr Dan’s Last Word on Babies and Other Humans, which I adore. Easily the best parenting/pregnancy book I’ve ever come across. Also it’s generally hilarious.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just finished Love in the Time of Cholera. Man did that book get a little weird.
    Stuck on what to pick up next but looking forward to checking out the recs above!
  • Options
    rc-colarc-cola member
    edited March 2018
    Just finished The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemison. Amazing trilogy! Has some sci fi and some fantasy elements. Winner of the Hugo. Highly recommend!
  • Options
    Reading with a toddler is um interesting? I’m currently reading A Man called Ove. Really really good! Up next on my list is White Teeth Bub Zadie Smith. 

I LOVE THIS THREAD! 
  • Options
    Also, where do you guys get your audiobooks from? We are going on vacation soon and I’d love to listen on the plane/at the pool when I can’t read! 
  • Options
    @estellegetty I used audible for all of mine. 
  • Options
    Reading all Diane Chamberlain right now. Just finishing Brass Ring

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @estellegetty I second audible. it is great and you can return books for any reason, so if you start something and don't like it you are not stuck with it.
  • Options
    I get my books (I do e-books instead of audio books) through the Overdrive app.  I can get books through our library.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard Overdrive is good, I couldn't remember the name. My library doesn't have it because it's so small.
  • Options
    I'm so jealous of all the reading. I'm one of those people that once I start reading a book I can't stop! I read at every chance I get. I'll ignore my kids and chores and it's just a bad combo lolol. Once the kids are in school again I'll get back to it... just 6ish more years. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018