November 2018 Moms
Options

When will you announce?

This is my first pregnancy and I am dying to tell my family, but I am only at 5 weeks today and know I should hold off a while. 

When did you announce/do you plan to announce to your family and friends?

Re: When will you announce?

• Options
    Right away with my first cause he was not planned and talking to people made me feel better. I waited until 10 weeks with my second. I’m having a hard time with this third as again it was a surprise and talking always makes me feel better but I will wait until at least 10 weeks with this one too 
    nws
  • Options
    @babyfeverbeliever I’ve already told my sister, SIL, and a couple close friends my husband is dying to tell everyone. I think we’re going to tell families after my first appointment on March 19 (7.5 weeks) it looks like miscarriage rates go down pretty dramatically after 6 weeks if you are otherwise healthy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We told our families sometime after the 8-ish week appointment the first 2 times (I don’t remember exactly when...) and posted on FB at 12 weeks. We’ll probably announce to our families after my appointment at 9 weeks. I’m nervous to announce #3 to them, for some reason!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @runningyogimama I'm glad I'm not alone with being nervous about announcing #3!
    We announced baby #1 around 7 weeks because we had family Christmas and were sooo excited. Baby #2 was around 7 for my family but closer to 12 for my DH family (we were traveling with them and wanted to surprise them on vacation). With this being baby #3 in 3 years I am on the fence between telling everyone right away or waiting until either I get hit with morning sickness or start to show haha!
  • Options
    I told my three best friends (*TW - who were my biggest supporters through infertility and my most recent loss /TW*). I would like to wait until after we have the NIPT done to announce to our family, but my parents are going to be here from out of state when I'm 10 weeks, so we won't have the results if it's even done by that point. I'd really like to tell them in person, and we won't see them again after that for 3 more months so we'll see. I'll hold out telling my boss until 12-13 and social media even longer. We were planning IVF in May, so nobody is going to suspect I'm pregnant. 

It's whatever your comfortable with rather than what you should or shouldn't do. If you'd tell someone you were having a loss and would want them as support it makes sense to tell them you're pregnant IMO. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    I told my immediate family early because I appreciate their support if something happens. I also already told my closest friend and my other friend who has been TTC with no luck for 2 years. I wanted her to know before I blurted it to all my girlfriends by accident and she needed some time. I also told her that we were TTC a few months back in hopes it wouldn't be as much of a shocker. We will tell my inlaws soon also but everyone else will wait until after 12 weeks except maybe my boss and close co-workers at like 8-10 weeks as I work with students with special needs. Its up to how comfortable you feel with telling people if something goes wrong.

• Options
    The due date website says week 14 is a good time to announce. That’s 5/4 for me.  It’s gonna be a rough wait. 

Last time I told my sister at like 7 weeks (she was also pregnant) since my entire family was going to Europe for our wedding and I wanted someone to know in case of emergency.  Meanwhile my parents and other sister figured it out totally on their own when we were over there and I had to listen to my dads pregnancy jokes for a whole week before I blurted it out on the beach “fine, yes I’m pregnant!!!!” So I need something good this time to make up for that.  
  • Options
    Honestly 12 weeks to close family and friends. Extended family probably at about 20 weeks. One of my sisters is having some women health issues and found out she may not be able to have more children. I may just wait to tell everyone at 20 weeks. We are trying to be sensitive to the matter.  :/
  • Options
    I've told almost everyone we're close to, but we won't make an official announcement until the first U/S with heartbeat.

(Possible TW) My rule of thumb until then is tell the people I'd want to talk to if I were to miscarry.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    Last time we told immediate family right away. My little sister got engaged soon after I found out I was pregnant and we didn’t want her to pick a date right around my due date (which she did anyway....ugh...story for another day). But I didn’t tell my boss until I was like 6 months! It was almost a “knocked up “situation lol. 

This time, we are keeping it on the low down until after the first ultrasound and then will tell family. Probably tell friends closer to 12 if possible. 

We were at a party this weekend and presumably one of my friends either suspects or thinks I’m super rude. She was like “where’s your wine? Let me get you a glass, what kind do you want” and I’m like ummm I’m just thirsty for water, I’ll get some wine later...

• Options
    We told my parents, MIL, and Uncle-in-law. I ended up telling my aunt who was staying with my parents this past weekend because we went to my parents in the heart of a storm and I wanted to talk about it openly. She also lives in FL, so she won't be here when I tell the rest of the family in person. MH spilled the beans to two guys at work too and I'm pretty sure one of my coworkers knows, but she is great about not saying anything until I officially announce. 

My cousin, who is also my best friend, is suspicious I think. She was following me around at my parents and kept asking if I wanted her wine. I told her I brought my own (had seltzer water but pretended it was spiked seltzer). Finally when she was distracted I got to run to the kitchen to pour a glass so she wouldn't see. I'm planning to start telling the rest of the family after our first U/S on the 20th.
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Options
    I have told my BFF at work so she can cover for me during my appointments. Other than that I will likely wait a few weeks to tell my Mom, at least until I confirm that this baby has a heartbeat and is located in my uterus.

Everyone else we will announce to at 20 weeks after my A/S.

With DS1 we announced at 14 weeks, with DS2 it was 20 weeks for everyone but my Mom who I called as soon as the stick turned positive. 
  • Options
    @lifesabeach85 omg love that it was an almost Knocked Up situation. Too funny!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We’ve already told both sets of parents and both of our best friends. If something happens, I’ll want their support. The rest of the world will have to wait until 2nd tri. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Mayday31 & @runningyogimama i'm a little hesitant to announce #3 as well for some reason...we told my MIL already because she stays with us 4 days a week and hopefully she doesn't tell anyone (though I"m sure she will)...for some reason part of me doesn't even want to announce this one...Like i just want to be "surprise! Baby #3 was born"

we never announced on facebook (just not our thing).  With our first we sent out a post card to everyone.  With our second we took family photos with my son wearing a shirt saying he's getting promoted to big brother.  Both times it was after the first Tri because i do have a history of MC.  I feel like this time around we might announce after my first appointment (assuming everything looks good)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Currently the only people that know with this pregnancy are me and hubby and his boss (told for dr appts). I’m honestly not sure when I’ll announce to my family.. my birthday is April 4, and we always go it to dinner with my parents and my brothers and their families... I’m thinking maybe then. 

For STM+.... have you told your other kids yet? My DH wants to tell our DD(4)... but I still feel it’s a little too early, plus I don’t want her spilling the beans to other people yet. Opinions?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @pink_polkadots we haven't told our kids yet. A few weeks before I was pregnant, DD (4) told her entire class I was pregnant and she was getting a baby sister. That was a fun day. I probably won't tell them until close to the end of the first tri. Our DD can't keep a secret.

My parents already know because of a little scare over the weekend and I happened to be visiting them. I feel bad they found out the way they did. I'm not sure when we will tell DH's parents. We would like to share in person, but I'm not sure when we will see them. I imagine we will tell them and DH's siblings sometime towards the end of March if all goes well at my first appointment. Then for everyone else, I'm not sure we will do a big announcement this go round. I kind of want to just be pregnant, get bigger and let people be curious. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @pink_polkadots DD was technically the first person I told. She doesnt "get it" though. But we will have a more in depth discussion about it when I'm showing. If she was older I would probably wait until at least 2nd trimester.

• Options
    MrsMCBMar2014MrsMCBMar2014 member
    edited March 2018
    So far only people that know are myself, hubby, my close work friend, my boss and my mom. 

I was so nervous telling my boss. He recently lost his son on 2/3 due to a car accident. His son was 20 and the youngest of his kids. Our world was broken when this happened so I felt the need to be open and honest, especially since my boss was super understanding when I lost my baby in November. When I told him he was super shocked and asked if we planned it. We were told I probably wouldn’t get pregnant right away but we did and we weren’t even trying. It’s a blessing. He agreed and said we wouldn’t tell anyone else until it becomes “obvious”. 

Eta: we won’t be telling family until Mother’s Day. Unless we feel comfortable with breaking the news on Easter. We will see how the next few weeks pan out and if we see baby & a heartbeat. 

Rainbow Baby! BFP 02/20/2018 EDD 11/01/2018
    BFP 10/31/2017 EDD 07/09/2018 Miscarriage 11/28/2017
    DD # 1: BFP 5/22/2014  EDD 1/30/2015 Born 02/06/2015
    DS # 1: BFP 7/18/2000 EDD 3/27/2001 Born 4/1/01
  • Options
    @pink_polkadots we won’t tell DS1 (8 years old) until closer to 20 weeks. He really wants another baby brother or sister and does know about my loss and IF history but I don’t want to get his hopes up and then have them potentially be crushed. DS2 is 19 months and doesn’t understand. 
  • Options
    @pink_polkadots We won’t tell our kids until we are ready to announce (they’re almost 4 and almost 5) because they will immediately tell everyone! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    loisloan1118loisloan1118 member
    edited March 2018

With DD1 we announced really early.  I think I was 5-6 weeks.  But it was Christmas & we were really excited.  With DD2 I think I was around 8-9 weeks, we were on vacation with both my parents & IL's so it was the right time.  We had DD1 make the announcement with a Big Sister T shirt. 

With this baby I think we'll tell everyone on Easter because that's when we'll all be together.  I'm hosting a brunch.  I'm nervous about #3 announcing too.

For DD1 and DD2 we waited until I was 12 weeks to announce at work/on SM. 

• Options
    I am an open book so I’ve already told my sister and two close friends. My parents are out of town but I will probably tell them and my grandparents this weekend when they get back, and we’ll tell my in-laws when we see them in two weeks. I probably won’t tell work until after my 12 week u/s because I don’t know anyone there very well but I do want to give my manager plenty of notice so she can prepare to find a replacement for me when I’m out on maternity leave. 
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, how cute @troystory17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @troystory17 *runs to beg MH to take me to Disney for Castle bump pics!*

Me too me too!
  • Options
    @troystory17 *runs to beg MH to take me to Disney for Castle bump pics!*

Me too me too!
     :D  :D:D 
  • Options
    We have not told anyone so far. Immediate family will likely be told around 12 weeks. Social media will know either when we find out sex or maybe at birth... lol.  We're not keen on telling anyone. 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    With DS I told my bff right after I told DH! I told my sister and mom around 9 weeks and everyone else got a huge surprise at Christmas! I just got my BFP and, again, told DH and then bff within a couple hours! Everyone else is going to wait until 10-11 weeks, though. I'm going to surprise them at DS 4th birthday party at the end of April.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I told my work BFF because she saw me right after I had some spotting, and she could tell I was really upset. I told my Bump group from my son (August 2015) last week. Love those ladies. We are planning on telling family once we hear a heartbeat—hopefully around Easter. *TW* I am close with my mom and sister, but I am waiting to tell them because they took it hard when I miscarried in October.
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• Options
    Last time we told our immediate family by 6 weeks and my mom in turn told everyone, which made me uneasy. This we’ll probably wait until around 10 weeks except for maybe a few people
  • Options
    I told my sister not long after we found out. She's due in August so I was excited to tell her that we will have kiddos so close in age. I think we'll be announcing to the rest of the family around Easter...which will be 9 weeks. Last time we told family around 7 weeks, but I was really anxious to talk about it and have support then *TW* because it was after a previous loss at 9 weeks and I was nervous. I'm still grateful for support but I kind of like keeping this to ourselves for right now, as I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing! I'll feel better emotionally once I get past that 9 week mark.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We told our roommate because morning sickness.... but we probably won't tell the parents or anyone else until 10 or 11 weeks.  Like @blovemama, my mom wasn't very good at handling my previous losses so it's better if she just doesn't know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @tessiesmom26 I’m cracking up at that gif! We haven’t told anyone yet and I would prefer not to until week 12 or 13. Unfortunately, my group of best girlfriends are getting together for a st. Patty’s brunch on Saturday and if I’m not drinking, they will know. I’ve read tons of advice on how to hide it and excuses but they will know if I don’t have any.  As much as I’d like to wait, I would also be fine with them knowing if something were to happen but I will just feel guilty that they know and our parents don’t. My DH proposed to me the day before Mother’s Day and since we see both families on Mother's Day, I think it would be cute to tell them then, it’ll be the first grand on his side and the 2nd on mine. 
  • Options
    So we definitely won’t tell anybody until doctor confirmed which is 19th of March.  Originally thinking we would do announcement to immediate family or closest friends Easter with an egg made for baby (we will have ones for other family members too then do a showing if Baby #3) to FaceTime or Skype show to Family who are all out of town.  Will probably announce facebook mother’s day. Hoping to find big sister shirts for my girls between now and then. Love using the kids to announce because I always feel awkward when posing for those think of announcement photos 
  • Options
    @mempartyof3 I got my daughter a shirt from Children’s place that says Status: Best Sister Ever and I’m debating when to have her wear it. My birthday is April 4, and we always go out to eat with my family. I was thinking of putting her in the shirt and see if anyone notices throughout the night.  :D
  • Options
    @pink_polkadots we did that with our second and it was amazing how much it went over people’s heads online or digitally. In person people noticed but I think it was harder to notice unless I pointed out in picture when Skyping like “look at her new shirt!”
  • Options
    I’m only 4w5d but I’ve told 5 close friends and DH has told 2. We’ll most likely wait until 7-12 weeks to tell family, as that will be a large amount of extraness that I am not equipped to deal with just yet!