July 2018 Moms

Itching and burning

I’m 19 1/2 weeks and dr prescribed me Fluconazole over the phone. Has anyone taken it while pregnant?

I started experiencing intense itching on Monday and it has yet to let up. I haven’t had any discharge, so I’m kind of annoyed my dr didn’t ask me to come in to make sure it’s a yeast infection... have any of you dealt with this before? This is my 3rd and never had this with my first 2.

Re: Itching and burning

• I think you should demand to go in if the yeast infection medication isn't working.

Also please read the board instructions whenever you get the chance, we like to keep things organized, and this would be a good post for our questions thread. 
  • What she said ^^ 
    Iv used that med before because sometimes i get to “wet” and get itchy with negative yeast infection results. But it’s was a non pregnancy issue when i did.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I’m rarely on here, but I’ll give it a read!
  • @Ford0523 I’ve gotten them once every pregnancy, I used to get them pretty regularly with my period until I switched to the cup, I’m just really predisposed to them for whatever reason. Flucanazole is safe during pregnancy, as is any over the counter Monistat, etc. Just the oral meds arent safe. If it is a YI, it might take longer for relief because of the hormones unfortunately, they can be harder to treat during pregnancy. It’s worth a call to you doctor to see if they could at least run a test if you think it could be something else. 
  • definitely contact OB again for more follow up. sorry you are dealing with this. also jump in more :) we are pretty great people 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Thanks ladies!  :) it is an oral med she prescribed, so I’ve just looked up some alternative/natural methods and it seems to be getting better! If it’s still bugging me Monday, I’ll def request to be seen, as my next appt isn’t till the 21st! 
  • acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited March 2018
    @Ford0523 ahh I see I didn’t see it was an oral med- my doc won’t prescribe diflucan during pregnancy, but I did just read low doses are considered safe at category D. Personally, I would stick with an otc if they didn’t prescribe you an internal med. Either way good luck treating it naturally! I’ve found during pregnancy they come back if I don’t kill it with meds but like I said yeast are not my friends.